The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Salutations!

Pterano · 48 · 5553

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hey, all!

While browsing the net during a particularly slow day of work, I stumbled upon this place during a few LBT searches. My first experience with LBT was back in 1988, when I was a mere lad of two, and though I have very vague memories of the theatrical release, my more solid memories are of growing up with these awesome films, eagerly awaiting the next one year after year.

So, you can probably guess who one of my favorite characters is, based on my screen name. :p As for a little about me, let's see... well I love the LBT franchise, and am glad to have found this place. I like writing, RPing, reading, and am a pretty big history buff, with particular interest in naval history (more specifically the Age of Sail) and the French Revolution/Napoleonic Era. I'm graduating college this coming weekend, and thought I'd join up here as I have more free time on my hands.

I used to be a member of a lot of forums, then gradually became inactive on most of them, but I do plan on being active here. This community seems awesome, and once again, very glad to have found it. ^^

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Welcome to the GoF, Pterano!

It's nice to see another Pterano fan joining. We have several huge fans of that flyer here. I really like him too. He's my second favorite LBT character behind Chomper.

Glad to see your almost done with college! I've been going through college for almost 2 years now, and I still have 2 or 3 more years before I get a Bachelor's in Computer Science. Hope you can survive finals! I'm in the same boat as you right now :bang .

Do you write any fanfictions?
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ah, excellent. :D That's cool that Pterano's your second favorite character. :) On that note, Chomper is definitely in my top five I'd say.

Ahhh yes, the Finals week. Good luck on yours! My last one is actually today, and then I can head for home. Fortunately, it's Bio 101, as for some reason I chose to save that Gen Ed until my last semester. XD Keep at it. :) It seems like a really long haul while you're doing it, but looking back, I can honestly say I'm going to miss the experience (though definitely NOT the exams and the papers XD). Computer Science? That's a good field to be in these days, as it's constantly growing and dynamic.

Yes, I used to write fanfics a lot, but then I stopped once I entered college. I just got too busy, and had to focus on other things. I don't think I've written a fanfic in about... five years now? Something like that. It is something I've been looking to get back into though, as I enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing I think.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Welcome with us Pterano :)
It is always a pleasure to welcome new members to our community. Please feel hearty invited to join our discussions or start threads of your own :yes
and am a pretty big history buff, with particular interest in naval history (more specifically the Age of Sail) and the French Revolution/Napoleonic Era.
You are singing my song :D
It's awesome to see another member in our community interested in history (not that I was the only one so far) but I also find the eras and topics you mention highly interesting. Back in 1998 I had the pleasure to visit the HMS Victory in Portsmouth which sure was quite a sight.
I may be able to visit the Napoleonic battlefield of Jena / Auerst‰dt (1806) this September, though I'm not sure if I will have much time to actually visit the historic site because my main reason to go to Jena is to attend a conference of the German association for American studies which will be focused on the American Civil War (which is pretty much my main topic).
Anyway, I hope that we will have some history threads in the future as we definitely share some interests :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thank you Salvatore! :D

@Malte279: I'm rather jealous that you got to see HMS Victory! It's one of my future stops (or so I hope) at some point, and amazing that you may get to see Jena-Auerstadt! I've been following The French Revolution/Napoleonic Era day-by-day, and am currently in 1794; just studied the smaller Battle of Courtrai yesterday in fact (and am very much looking forward to the upcoming anniversary of the Glorious First of June, the first of the major naval battles of that era). I previously did day-by-day of the American Civil War, as you mentioned that. :) I tried to time it for the four years I'd be in college, but sadly, I took an extra year, so it didn't quite work out timing wise, but oh well. XD So what I'm doing now, for the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, is tracking my ancestor's progress through it, via a new book that just came out on his particular regiment.

So yes, I'm a pretty big nerd when it comes to history, as you can probably tell. XD

And thank you for the welcome Mumbling! I like your avatar. I guess the cake really isn't a lie. XD

(runner up)
(runner up)

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
:wave Hey! Another Pterano fan on the board! Great to hear! :DD  I'm a pretty big fan of Pterano myself, actually just got into him. Anyways, hope you have fun here!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'm rather jealous that you got to see HMS Victory!
Take comfort in the fact that you probably have an easier time paying a visit to to USS Constitution than I would.
In fact I may be jealous in return depending on where you live ;)
Thing is that I was hoping to write a dissertation about the events currently and in the next few years conducted to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. Unfortunately my attempts to get a job or an internship in one of the national battlefield parks have been futile so far (it isn't helping that to apply for a work visa you need a guaranteed job while most employers will require you to have a work visa in order to apply :bang) and I don't have the money to just go on holidays to the US to collect information and impressions to write about these events I am taking so much interest in :(

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thank you, LBTDiclonius. I've been a Pterano fan ever since I saw the seventh film, eleven years ago. :) Nice to meet you.

Malte279: Well I've never been to the USS Constitution, but I have actually worked aboard the USS Constellation this past winter, and that was pretty fun. I got to spend the night aboard her in one of the hammocks. It was the US Navy's last all sail warship.

Ahh yeah, the park service is notoriously hard to gain access to, and that work visa situation sounds incredibly annoying. My college was right near the grounds of a Civil War battlefield, about five minutes drive. :)

(runner up)
(runner up)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
welcome to the forum. I'm a big history buff myself and hope you join some of our history discussions.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh I'm sure I definitely will. :) Thanks for the welcome. :) What periods of history are you into?

(runner up)
(runner up)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
my specialities are American history and Nazi era Germany.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Good stuff. In terms of the Second World War, I'm more into the Japanese-American conflict, though I still find the German side fascinating. I guess I'm more into the Pacific stuff because there were more naval aspects to it, but I still find it interesting how a small, almost fringe group like the Nazis could grow so powerful, though World War I and the resulting treaty helped them out a lot. :p

(runner up)
(runner up)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They were a fringe party until the Depression hit, then drastically grwew in power
 in terms of the pacific, Japan dreamed of creating asia dominated by then, almost oa US of Asia with them in the dominant role.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, they were in pretty big competition with the communists then, right?

Yes, the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere, as they called it. I'm currently working on Sam Eliot Morrison's "A History of United States Naval Operations in World War II", and am on volume three, "The Rising Sun in the Pacific". Just finished the fall of Wake Island. Great series so far. He surprisingly did not show a huge amount of bias for a historian writing less than ten years after the war ended.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Lots of history buffs here it seems.  Great Depression is my history fav.  I'm not big into the wars at all.  Welcome Pterano :wave

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hey, I actually like the Depression era too! Though I tend to focus on law enforcement and how it was changing in that time. It was such a... different world back then.

And thank you, it's good to be here. :)

Nice sig too. I love Disney World. :D I'm going in a month for my Birthday in fact. :D

(runner up)
(runner up)

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Do you have any or your old fanfics up on the internet somehwere? Maybe I'd like to read them. :lol:
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
yes the Communists were the other beneficiary in Germany from the depression, and the soviet Union was the great enemy for Japan. they tried several times to gain land north of Mankchukuo, but got thrashed each time.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: