The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

should bluth have done?

rosie · 11 · 1960

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
The series and other movies in the series? Would there have been a chomper? :unsure:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
A question which might have to be asked before the other one is "would Bluth have done if he had been asked to make a sequel"?
I don't think Bluth is a friend of sequels of any sorts and reading between the lines of his toontalk magazine I don't think that he ever watched a single of the sequels of a movie to which he (regrettably) holds some unpleasant memories because of the discrepancies he had with Spielberg and Lucas.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Bluth is not a sequel person.  He wouldn't do a sequel to any of his films, even if asked.

Zenoah

• Spike
    • View Profile
Wait. If he's not into sequels, then why where they made? Did'nt they need his permission?  :huh:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm not sure about how it is in animated films, but in comicbooks if it is a work for hire thing then the company is the owner, not the writer or artist.

Zenoah

• Spike
    • View Profile
I find that highly annoying then! Its like someone takeing your own characters and totally changeing everything about them...

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It depends what it says in the contract.  He may have been hired to do a film, instead of doing it by himself with his own company.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It is what Bluth did later on. In case of LBT he had even less control than directors do usually as he had two other famous directors (Steven Spielberg and George Lucas) meddling with his work. In all fairness towards Spielberg and Lucas however I must remark that apparently this meddling did not "mess up" the movie, or else, what are we doing here?
I would love to see those scenes which were cut from LBT, but without having seen them I cannot say whether or not keeping them would have been an improvement.

Spike_of_the_Valley

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I find that highly annoying then! Its like someone takeing your own characters and totally changeing everything about them...

To be fair, Don Bluth didn't even create the characters.  He did a lot of great work with them, no doubt, but he didn't create them.  That honour goes to the two people who are credited with creating the characters in all the LBT films.  In the original, they have the story credit, and in the sequels, there's always a bit in the credits that says "Based on characters created by such and such."  

Yes, in case you haven't realised, I've forgotten the names of these people, but I do know that they weren't Don Bluth.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
^ Judy Freudberg and Tony Geiss. The script was written by Stu Krieger.

Vaan360

• Petrie
    • View Profile
So, its means, that Don Bluth  is the "creator" but just by name <_<