The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

7 wonders of the world

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Inspired in Arvens "All around the World post" =p

I know that the pyramids of Egipt are the last of the 7 wonders still standing... I know one of them is the library of Alexandria and the other one is the gradens go Babilon.. Arvens said the colosso is anopther one.. can you tell me which are the others and what is the colosso? Just by curiosity =p
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi!
Actually the library of Alexandria was not considered one of the seven wonders of the world, but one of them stood in Alexandria nevertheless. Im not sure about all of the English names, of the seven wonders of the world, but I hope that the translation of the German names will do.

1. The pyramids of Gizeh (the only of the wonders still standing though today they are but a shadow of their old glory)
2. The hanging gardens of queen Simeramis in Babylon (I don't know what it was that destroyed them, but they are gone).
3. The statue of Zeus in Olympia (don't know what happened to it either).
4. The temple of Artemis in Ephesos (a nutter who wanted to become famous for all time burned it down. Only a few pillars are still standing).
5. The mausoleum of Halikarnos in Karien (I think it was destroyed by crusaders who used the stones to build a castle there).
6. The colossus of Rhode island (it collapsed during an earthquake).
7. The lighthouse Pharsos in Alexandria (it too collapsed during an earthquake).

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Thanks Malte... I knew there was something in Alexandria and I thought it was the library cause I've recently watched a documentary on the Discovery Channel about Atlantis, the lost continet and they spoke about a lbrary that ended up under water =P

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The famous library of Alexandria was burned in 48 b.c. when Julius Caesar's romans set fire to an Egyptian fleet in the harbor. This library you heard about must be a different one.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I only knew the Pyramids of Egypt were one of the Seven Wonders...I didn't know any others so it must've been someone else. :)

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Oh yeah.. it was Malte ups.. I guess I was  angstious (or whatever.. I never get the spelling of this word right \: )

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Not really.. like excited.. waiting for something to happen.. I can't really explain it =P

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Yeah I guess that's it thanks (=

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Funny how all of them seem to be linked back to Ancient Greece (apart from he Pyramids of course). Wonder why it only seemed to be that particular era that the 7 wonders came from? Also, isnt the statue of Zeus still standing? I thort it was on view somewhere in Athens?

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I think that calling them the 7 wonders of the "world" is a bit exagerating.. maybe it would be better to call them the 7 wonders of the ancient mediterranian civilizations.. but that's a bit long. Another thing, not all of them are greek.. the gardens of Babilon are actually babilonian =p and the lighthouse of Alexandria was also egyptien.. (I guess.. not sure..).. anyway who did start calling those things 7 wonders of the world?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The Zeus statue doesn't exist anymore. I don't know exactly what happened to her, but with the Olympics this year displaying many of the ancient traditions I think it's likely they came up with something that looked like it.
As NewOrder pointed out already the Pyramids and the Lighthouse of Alexandria were Egyptian and the hanging gardens of Babylon well babylonian. As for the The temple of Artemis in Ephesos and The mausoleum of Halikarnos in Karien they were both located in what is today Turkey but was sort of a Greek colony back then. Artemis is a greek goodess, but I'm not absolutely sure if Halikarnos was a greek or an Asian ruler (I have to look it up). However in spite of the fact that the Greek people considered themselves sort of "above" the other people calling the others "barbarians" which means "stutterers" (a word that was adobted for anybody who shows no sense for culture, art and the like), Greece was far from being one united country back then. People from Athen, Sparta and the other Greek "polis" (this word means town and you'll still find it in some town's names today, e.g. Minneapolis) fought fierce wars against each other. So it is not an indisputable image of Greek being one nation responsible for all that wonders. Rhode Island for example was more attached to the island of Kreta (which under their Minoan rulers was more like an independent nation than most of Greek was). I have to admit I don't know just how strong the Greek influence was by the time the collossus was built.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think that calling them the 7 wonders of the "world" is a bit exagerating.. maybe it would be better to call them the 7 wonders of the ancient mediterranian civilizations

I agree with this statement. Actually it is a very arbitrary selection of ancient buildings made by some Greek historican. Some buildings buid during the same era but after that historicans dad (e.g. the collosseum in Rome or the Great Wall of China) are nothing less fascinating. Neither are some of the buildings this historican apparently didn't find worth mentioning, for example the Zikurat of Babylon (known through the bible as the tower of Babyon) or the Ischkar gate of the same town (it still exists in a museum in Berlin and it's just beautiful all covered with deep blue stones and mosaics).
Or how about the palace of the 100 pillars, the residence of the Persian kings in Persepolis (there we have the "polis" again)?
There are very many most fascinating buildings not counted among the seven wonders of the world.
Or some of the pyramids bouilt by South American indian tribes. There are several which are much larger (but also lower) than even the Pyramids in Egypt.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Zeus?! A she Malte?!?

The Zeus statue doesn't exist anymore. I don't know exactly what happened to her

Im sure that's just a typo. A man of your superior knowledge on history would surely know that Zeus was a BLOKE!  :rolleyes: Being the head honcho of the Greek gods and all! Im sure its just a slip of the keys there! Right Malte! LOL  ;)  :lol:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Now I really made a mistake. I probably thought to much of German when I wrote this, for in German (an unnecessarily complicate language) a statue is female and would be refered to as she, no matter what the statue depicts. It's the first time in a ling while I made such a Genglish mistake (a mistake based on thinking German while writing English).