The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why is Topps LAvendrr?

Guest · 11 · 6265

Bruton the Iguanodon

Is that Topsy Cera reunites with at the end? It can't be, he's not lavender! What's the deal?

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It should be Topsy. Ducky's parents are lavander too. Littlefoot's grandparents are a lot more purple as well. It's like the animators used a different colour pallete to draw the Great Valley and the adults, and another when adding the kids latter on.
Why would they do this is beyond me. Well, not quite. Animating is hard work, and if the studio lacked perfect organisation or a good work atmosphere errors like this are bound to happen.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Lavender?

He looks gray enough to me. The setting sun (orange sky) may be a plausible reason for his color looking different than in other scenes. There are plenty examples in the original movie in which colors vary with the lighting.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

If the animators tried to play with light, they weren't far off in the first image, they could be given the benefit of the doubt in the second image (the children are of normal colour because they are in shadow, Mr. Swimmer however is partly in shadow and his colour is off), but they definitely messed up in the third (the entire family is in shadow, and the same palette should have been used).

Bruton the Iguanodon

Still, that does NOT look like Topps in that shot.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'd have to say it would be because his color would not match with the colors of the background. To me, it looks like Topps, just a different color.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Are you watching the DVD? They definitely messed up the colours/contrast for many scenes in that one. Like the opening sequence you can't see anything compared to original VHS copies.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
I'd say Topsy's expression looked a little girly in the final scene of the movie. Like the animators couldn't decide whether Cera should be greeted by her father or her mother. :)

Bruton the Iguanodon

Well, in the first he looks like he should, and in the second...he's somewhere closer to a male Tria. I can understand him being black in that scene might clash with the other colors of the valley, but that problem never occured in the sequels, which---thankfully---restore his original design. Also, did Cera grow between the 2 pics, or did Topps shrink? There's definitely some sort of size error. Anyways I just don't like "girl topps".

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'm afraid the best advise I can give you is to get over it. Personally I found the playing with light and colors depending on the light in the original movie interesting. The only case I found a bit over the top was Littlefoot's turning all yellow in the scene after his first meeting Ducky. As for the size difference, I don't consider this a mistake but much rather believe that Cera grew in the time that passed between the two pictures. So did Littlefoot.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I'm afraid the best advise I can give you is to get over it.

Well, that's okay. Out of all the things that piss me off about LBT this is one I'll have the least trouble getting over. :)

How much time did pass in movie 1? Between the two pictures, and also between the scene where Littlefoot is born and the next where he asks his mom "Is this all there is to eat?"