The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Mysterious Disappearance of the Original LBT

Barroth the Blue Mage

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Alright! After sitting through in silence for years, I’ve decided it is time for me to voice up. I believe many Land Before Time fans out there do know the fact that the recently available VCD or DVD copies of the famous film are all the heavily edited version? And from my own experience, I believe the film has only been edited after its official release in the year of 1988, despite what the Wikipedia says.

The first time I watched the film was from a VHS copy my father rented from some shop back in 1996, when I was four. And although my memories of that age are quite vague, I can still remember many scenes from the movie that are not seen in the later VCD copies I watched; one I borrowed from my friend when I was ten and the other one I owned when I was twelve. When I watched the VCD copies many years later, I realized the film has been edited and many scenes were cut out. All those years I wished I was wrong about my speculation of the film’s edition and I chose not to trust my four year-old memories. But when I finally had access to the internet at the age of eighteen(my parents only allowed me to have access to internet after I had finished high school so... yeah) and I searched on The Land Before Time, I came across it on Wikipedia and... I was right all along; the film had indeed been edited. On that very moment, my heart languished, realizing that the VCD copy of the film I bought when I was twelve is the heavily edited version. Afterward, I searched for the original version of the film high and low on the internet for many days but to no avail. I also heard that there is a Finnish dubbed or subbed original version of the film and I tried to search for it on the internet but again, to no avail. I would still look for the original, unedited version of the film every once in a while since then and until now, but it were all in vain. It seems to me that the original version of the film I once saw as a child is lost forever.

In case some of you have never watched the original version of the film and have no idea what it is like, here is what those edited/cut-out scenes are:

The part where Littlefoot’s mother fought with the sharp-tooth(T-rex): In the VHS copy, I saw precisely how the T-rex jumped onto her back and bit her there, leaving a wound. After Littlefoot’s mother knocked him off and ran with Littlefoot and Cera, sharp-tooth got back on his feet and chased after them. After being whipped and knocked off by Littlefoot’s mother a few times using her tail, he managed to bit the back of her neck, leaving another wound before he battered her down to the ground and went after the two kids. In the VCD copies, however, the part where the sharp-tooth bit Littlefoot’s mother’s back was edited so it is only shown in the form of shadows and the part where he bit her neck and then battered her down to the ground is completely omitted. Now, do you remember seeing how Littlefoot’s mother was suddenly seen lying on the ground with a new wound on the back of her neck that seemed to be coming out of nowhere?

Shortly after the death of Littlefoot’s mother, the brief part featuring the wise, old Euoplocephalus who calls himself “Old Rooter” wasn’t seen in the VHS copy I watched before. It is said that that part was added in the edited version to “soften the emotional blow” caused by Littlefoot’s mother’s death in young children. The original version I saw goes like this: After his mother’s death, Littlefoot wandered off in grief(in the edited version, this part is substituted with him encountering Old Rooter) and the scene slowly changed to a bunch of cute baby pterodactyls fighting over a berry where eventually they all each received one berry from their mother. After that, Littlefoot received a “tree star” leaf from his mother’s spirit and was given the direction to the Great Valley. Personally, I believe the part featuring a bunch of cute baby pterodactyls fighting over a berry in a very comedic way must have been done by Mr. Don Bluth himself with the intention of lighten the audience’s mood up after the death scene of Littlefoot’s mother. And I think that was good enough. Still, I don’t have anything against the part with Old Rooter being added in the edited version.

And the scene that had been cut out completely is the part after Spike ate up his make-shift nest made of tall grass and curled up on the ground to sleep. From what I remember, after that, Littlefoot, Cera and Petrie ran up to Ducky and Littlefoot asked in concern, saying something like “Ducky! Are you alright?” and when they noticed Spike, Ducky said something like “This is my new friend, Spike. Can we take him with us? Huh? Huh?”. Cera was abhorred by the idea of taking Spike with them and said something like “No! He will slow us down. All spike-tails do is eat and sleep.” I don’t quite remember the rest of the dialogue but I do know that Littlefoot and Cera had some argument on taking Spike with them. I think one of them even said something about maybe they will find Spike’s parents on the way of their journey or that maybe his parents will be coming back for him, but I don’t quite remember. Then, Cera gave in and she grudgingly accepted Spike to come with them. In actuality, Cera is afraid of travelling alone because she knows that sharp-tooth is still alive and that the rest of the team is adamant on taking Spike with them. Afterward, Littlefoot, Petrie and Ducky tried to push the heavy, sleeping baby stegosaurus to move and failed(Cera refused to help). Ducky then came up with the effective idea of luring Spike to following them with berries.

It is said that there is also a cut-out part where the group came upon an oasis inhabited by “crown-heads”(Pachycephalosaurus) and “gray-noses”(Saurolophus) who refused to share food and water with one another and they also refused to share them with the five young dinosaurs when they asked them for some. While I don’t remember much about this part and the dialogue, I do remember seeing a part in the VHS copy where there were some dinosaurs guarding the “green-food” and some other guarding a spring of water that refused to share them with the five young dinosaurs and gave them stern looks when they asked some from them. And because of this, the group had to go find their own food and water. They found a flowing river shortly and drank from it(this part is also omitted in the edit version) before they found some green-foods two times afterward(this still exist in the edited version). They couldn’t eat from the first one because it was immediately devoured by a herd of adult long-necks. But they managed to eat from the second one they found.

The original ending and that of the edited version are also different. The one I saw from the VHS copy has Littlefoot found the Great Valley on his own at first after he and the rest of the group parted ways. That is, after Cera insulted his mother by calling her “a stupid long-neck” and the two of them fought fiercely, and when Cera decided to go her own way with the rest of the team chose to follow her instead of Littlefoot, he was angered and he continued his way alone, disregarding his unfaithful friends. After some time, he came upon a rocky cliff where his mother’s ghost appeared before him in the form of a long-neck shaped dark cloud and was guided by her to the Great Valley. There, upon seeing the Great Valley, instead of just settling down in there he went running back to search for his friends who were still in the region of lava streams and tar pits. After he helped his friends out of tough situations and after the young dinosaurs killed the sharp-tooth together by drowning him in a huge lake with a heavy boulder, Littlefoot guided his reunited friends to the Great Valley he found earlier. Upon seeing the Great Valley, Cera cheered, saying: “Littlefoot, you found it!” and Ducky yepped five times in agreement(this part still exist in the edited version).

Another interesting part that should be noted is when the five young dinosaurs were in the process of “getting rid” of the sharp-tooth. There are roughly three scenes in that part that have also been omitted in the edited version for I-don’t-know-why reasons. The first one being when Ducky was taunting Sharp-tooth by making (really funny) faces at him in the water in a failed attempt to buy her friends more time, which eventually angered the sharp-tooth into attacking her. The second one being when the sharp-tooth is sinking into the deep lake water with the heavy boulder, he is seen looking up to the water while dragging Petrie down with him in the teeth. The third one is when Petrie returned from his “death”, Ducky wasn’t the only one who was overjoyed by it. Littlefoot, Cera and Spike were also rejoiced when they saw Ducky carrying Petrie to them. Littlefoot then even happily carried Petrie on his head. And it is after this that Littlefoot guided his reunited friends to the Great Valley, which isn’t far from where they killed sharp-tooth.

The heavily edited version of the film, which is very likely the only existing version now, is such a crying shame. It was such a wonderful piece of work but for some ridiculously stupid reasons, it was mutilated to make it more “children friendly”. This is what I read in Wikipedia on The Land Before Time where Steven Spielberg, one of the douchebags who are responsible for editing the film, said: “It’s too scary. We’ll have kids crying in the lobby, and a lot of angry parents. You don’t want that.” Seriously?! What the hell?! What is so scary about all those cut-out parts of the film? To be honest, there is nothing more tragic then the death of Littlefoot’s mother in the movie and yet, my sisters and I haven’t experienced any “psychological damage” after we watched that part as toddlers almost twenty years ago. I think those editors edited the film did it just for self-interests. And they would give whatever B.S. reason they could think of to justify their actions. Steven Spielberg’s partner in crime in movie editing is George Lucas. These two directors are quite (in)famous for editing other people’s works. If I ever meet those two scoundrels in person, I think I might want to blacken their eyes for what they had done to the movie, if that action bears no consequences.

All in all, The Land Before Time is truly a brilliant, breathtaking and heart-warming movie like no other. All the baby or young dinosaur characters are certainly cute but not cutesy(i.e. way too cute that it is revolting) and all of them, with the exception of Petrie and Spike, are voiced by actual children, very talented children. The movie talks about life-circle(life and death), which is something most avoided by many other children friendly movies or kids shows, because many “clever” adults actually think that all young children are too weak and can never cope with the trials of life and death. The movie also tackles on the issue of diversity/racism. But it is exploited well by not involving offensive stereotyping, which is something many other kids shows have failed utterly to do so far. The most epic part of the movie is when the five young dinosaurs are tired of sharp-tooth stalking them all the time and decided that it is time to “get rid of him once and for all” by working out a plan to kill the big carnivore themselves. Now, how many other kids movies/shows, especially those featuring adult characters, have such bravery or brilliancy? Other than having the villains die because of some divine retribution or because of something they did themselves which eventually bring their own dooms(i.e. Karma)? All I can say is; Mr Don Bluth is a brilliant man who understands the hearts of young children and knows the essential, important lessons of life little children need to learn, unlike many “clever” adults who like to “keep the lessons from young children until they are old enough to learn”.

Last but not least, I sincerely wish the original, uncut version of the film I once saw as a child still exist somewhere, or that Mr. Don Bluth had kept a copy of the uncut version with himself so it can be released again one of these days. I really wish with all my heart that I will be able watch the original, uncut version of that movie at least once again in my lifetime, so I can die with no regret.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Welcome to the Gang of Five! :wave It's always great to see that there are still people out there who love The Land Before Time :yes You may start your own welcome topic in the Welcome Center so we can greet and welcome you into our community and get to know you :yes

Now on topic: Do you actually know what a lucky person you are? Not many of us (if any?) have seen the original version. :smile
You summarized the movie pretty well and I believe you mentioned all cutted scenes we know of. Moreover, you described these cutted scenes very detailed so we (partly) know the actual content of some more now. Besides, I think the fact that they added the Rooter scene is new to everyone around here :wow I totally believe you really had had the original Original movie :yes
Just one thing: Can you remember any (probably short) scenes that aren't in the cutted version? I know of one scene shown in a trailer that referred to the movie when it wasn't cutted... I guess it was Ducky hugging some member of the Gang, and it had Ducky making faces at The Sharptooth in it :)

Inactive, probably forever.

Barroth the Blue Mage

• Ruby
    • View Profile
@ Ducky123

Thank you and nice meeting you. I introduced myself in the Welcome Center as you requested. I haven't watched the movie's trailer and I don't know what it is like, though. And about Ducky hugging some member of the gang, please pardon me but, can you please specify your question further? Perchance that I may be able to answer you question?

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Now I feel somewhat reassured that I have actually seen the uncut version, and didn't make things up. There are several people on this board who say that they have seen missing bits and pieces, but only three people say they have actually seen the full version: Pikkutassu, me and now you.

Just a little reminder before I proceed (it can't hurt). If you want to get up to speed on the current state of the discussion on the missing scenes, I recommend you read the entire "Uncut land before time scenes" topic and this topic if you haven't done so so far. It will spare me and others a lot of long explanations.

You have revealed four completely new things, however.

The first thing is that Littlefoot's mother was bit on the neck. We have known for quite some time that scenes of the sharptooth-mother fight have been edited, but we've known next to nothing about the actual content of the missing scenes of that part of the movie. And now you have shone more light on the matter.

The second thing is the later addition of Rooter. I must say I find this a bit surprising.

The third thing is the rejoicing of the rest of the Gang after Petrie climbs up the cliff. We actually have some footage of the first and second missing scenes of the final fight against sharptooth, but a third missing scene is something new.

The fourth thing is additional 10-minute post-credit footage. You said it is said there is such a thing. Who said that? I don't think anybody has ever mentioned it so far.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
From what I remember of watching the movie when I was younger, two distinct memories surface. One, the fight with the sharptooth moved into the muddy area seen just before the earthquake in the current version. Two, I distinctly remember Littlefoot saying why Cera was going the wrong way in the thorny vines, that the vines weren't as thick going that way. The latter may have been my own deduction, though. I'm not sure.

Barroth the Blue Mage

• Ruby
    • View Profile
@ jansenov

Thanks for the link. And about the 10 minutes post-credit footage thing, please forgive me but I was mistaken about it. I don't know how in the world did I managed to get the idea of a post-credit scene in LBT. The Wikipedia and some LBT related articles only talked about some 10 or 11 minutes of footage being removed from the movie. I must had read it wrong. Still, I am glad I didn't miss anything important from the original movie.

@ Justin1993

Yes. Littlefoot's mother and sharp-tooth fought in the muddy area for a while before she managed to knock him out for a moment(this happens before sharp-tooth bit her neck). Littlefoot and Cera were constantly stuck in the middle of the fight between mama long-neck and sharp-tooth. This part has completely been cut-short in the edited version. Wow. You managed to bring back some of my long forgotten memories. About Littlefoot and Cera hiding in the cluster of thorny vines/branches, I am not very sure if that part has been edited but you could be right about it, and I was only four when I watched the original version of the movie so I don't remember much of the dialogue. Do you, by any chance, remember any other cut-out scene that I have not mentioned here?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
(I hope it is okay to share links?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROVZZOv8ebc
I was referring to the scene from 0:56 - 0:59, Ducky hugs Littlefoot and Spike after they got the food

Barroth the Blue Mage

• Ruby
    • View Profile
@ Ducky123

Thank you for the link and I just watched it. Yeah, I believe I have seen that part in the VHS copy as well. I hate to say this but since I was only four year-old when I watched the original version of the movie, I couldn’t remember every bit, let me emphasize it; every bit of the film. Sometimes, I just need certain reminders to trigger and resurface my childhood memories that have been buried under ocean-deep piles of later years’ memories. Thank you again for the link. Just one question, though. Is that trailer official?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think it is an official trailer though I'm not entirely sure. Well, it contains comments and it is narrated. Sounds serious to me. If you really want to know this you may ask the person that posted the trailer (a Gang of Five member, pokeplayer :yes).

Anyway, you're welcome :)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
There is nothing mysterious about the disappearance. Geroge Lucas and Steven Spielberg put the film to the chopping block and crammed the cut footage firmly into a safe somewhere.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Barroth the Blue Mage

• Ruby
    • View Profile
@ WeirdRaptor

It will be really great if all the cut footage is still kept in the safe somewhere in the studio's vault like you say. But Mr. Don Bluth said they are very likely to have been destroyed. Blast Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. Why do they have to ruin such a good movie?

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I am inclined to agree with WeirdRaptor; there was footage that was definitely cut. One book that I have (Don Bluth's The Art of Storyboard) says that "nineteen fully animated and many colored T-rex scenes were cut from the movie." However, it doesn't say anything about any cut scenes getting into the home release.
When I watched the original video release I didn't find anything that was different from the anniversary DVD, but that was the North American release.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
I think the low amount of people that have seen the unedited version attests to the fact it was not meant to be seen I guess :(

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
@ Blue Mage: Um, they didn't ruin the movie. The movie is the movie that we all fell in love with and continues to hold up to this day.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Barroth the Blue Mage

• Ruby
    • View Profile
As a person who had watched the original version of the movie, to me, it is ruined. Because when I watched the edited version, many scenes just don't flow correctly and many parts are missing.

And if the original version really isn't meant to be released, then why some people across the world, which include I, had seen it? Did someone in the studio furtively sneaked some original copies of the film into the mass production when the film was released just so some people across the world could watch them? Why would they do it? Did they do it just to screw with Land Before Time lovers?

So the original movie is actually novelized? Sounds cool to me. I would love to buy the book but I haven't seen any LBT related books in my country. I live in South-East Asia, by the way.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I too don't think that the cut ruined the movie since it is still by far the best LBT movie but I do see where you're coming from.. I can imagine feeling exactly like you if I had seen the unedited version.

As for the books, there are a few illustrated stories for kids that are more or less related to the movie. Some contain cut scenes whereas others keep to the edited storyline. I don't own a book, thats just what I've heard about them.

South-East Asia? Sounds cool :lol The GoF becomes increasingly international :)

Barroth the Blue Mage

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Actually, I understand why all LBT lovers love the movie. Even though it is heavily edited. It is because it is a brilliant movie and Mr Don Bluth is a brilliant man.

Well, I guess good things can happen when a community becomes increasingly international, eh?  ;)

o1s1n

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Another new member here, hey guys! :)

Just want to add my own perspective on this. I am yet another person who is convinced they saw an unedited version of this when they were a child.

I was bought the original VHS tape on release back in 88/89 when I was 4 or 5. Absolutely loved it. Watched it until the tape literally became unwatchable.

A few years back, my girlfriend bought me the DVD release as a Birthday present. Excited, we both sat down to give it a watch. It seemed a lot shorter and bits I remembered weren't in it - that's when I then looked it up and was horrified to hear about all the edits.

Now as we all know, the edits were made to the theatrical release - however this left me somewhat dumbfounded as that would mean it's impossible for my VHS tape to have been unedited.

Then something interesting occurred to me after finding a drawing that someone made for me when I was a kid. I asked my mam about the drawing and she said it was done by her cousin who worked for Sullivan Bluth Studios were based in Dublin at the time. He was an animator (and ultimately had to move to Canada with the studio to find more work)

From what I've read, while the studios were in Dublin, much of the LBT work was done here. Actually I didn't really realize this until that viewing with my girlfriend of the DVD, the credits rolled and I had a huge 'WTF?!' moment - loads of Irish names! :D

Anyway, getting a bit sidetracked. What I'm trying to figure out is this;

As the studio was in Ireland and my mother's cousin was an animator - did I happen to see an early copy of the film?

Or;

As the studio was in Ireland, were there rental copies floating around which were more complete?

I'll have to ask my parents if my VHS copy is still in the house. As I said, fairly sure it was unwatchable (and the standard retail version) but I can't then figure out where these other memories of missing scenes are coming from. Unless it's all just my imagination!

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
As a person who had watched the original version of the movie, to me, it is ruined.
No, it's only ruined for you because you allow it to be ruined for you. Plus, I don't believe a single of you have ever seen this so-called "original version" of the movie, because it was cut prior to release. If a longer edition of the film had been released anywhere, there would be official sources about it.  As far as I'm concerned, you're believing what you want to believe and you're letting small beans ruin the film for you. In fact, this is really coming across as snobbery against the film as it is. It may not be the full version that you wanted, but the version that is is a brilliant film that capivated the hearts of many. You'll be interested to know that Don Bluth later admitted that cutting the film down was the right decision.

Here's the truth: none of us have seen the missing version of the film. Stop telling yourself that you have.