The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

DVD question

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I have a question about the DVD of the film. Ok so I was watching The Land Before Time on Encore and I realized that at the beginning of the film, it didn't have a black border on the underwater sequence. For some reason my DVD has this border. But only for that part. As shown below

The showing on Encore didn't have this. And neither does the VHS. Can anyone shed some light on this cause I am at a loss.

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I think it has something to do with the opening credits, because it fades out when the LBT-logo disappears and the real movie begins. Maybe someone had the idea when they remastered it for DVD.

Zenoah

• Spike
    • View Profile
I would have no idea really.
This is why I love VHS copies of old movies...

My vote is just a mess up or something. As long as it's just there and not hidering the rest of the movie, I would'nt worry too much about it.  :D

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
The DVD copy is pretty effed up... colors and brightness totally messed up in some scenes. You can see twice as much in the opening underwater scenes on the VHS copies, on the DVD its just dark.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah. My copy seems to be contrastless compared to the VHS version. Although, everything else is otherwise ok.
Edit: Not contrastless. The colors look a bit desaturated. That's the word I was looking for.

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Hm, strange. I checked my old VHS tape and there is also this black border. There seem to be different versions.

Here:

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I checked mine also, and the top and bottom have it but not the sides. I wonder why.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I think it has to do with aspect ratio. For instance, if the movie is wide screen, there'll be thick black bars on top and on bottom.

My guess is the black borders are present on the DVD copy because your DVD copy has a different aspect ratio than the VHS copy (provided it has no black borders either).

I just checked my DVD rip of Land Before Time and it does not contain any black borders.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, my VHS has the borders, but only on the top and bottom.