The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Discuss: The Big Longneck Test

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey all, here was this week's episode from Canada!
"The Big Longneck Test"
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...145D0BA32FE545D

Discuss it here.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
Wow Bron and Shorty makes a return to the screen :) this one was a cool episode indeed. Shorty up to his priding tricks again like the first time we seen him. wonder who will show up next...

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
What?! Bron and Shorty?!

Dammit! Cartoon Network hasn't shown anything new in weeks, and still doesn't have anything up on the schedule >.<
Why didn't they just show one new episode each week, why'd they dump it almost all at once?! Stupid idiots… RAUGH!!! *punches a wall*

Argh… I really don't want to download episodes. I feel terrible enough for downloading all 12 movies, especially the original.

P.S. Sorry (kind of) for the (now moderated) swearing, I'm just really pissed off at the CN >:/

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Dude it's best that you don't swear again, it's impolite and you must consider that little kids might come here to read this thread.
As for the episode, they've mentioned Bron and Shorty have been in the great valley before. That never happened or at least they've never showed it.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Shorty and Bron appear, huh?  I was wondering when they would finally show up in the TV Series.

I'll give a review soon.  I'm busy downloading this thing. :)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ok, So Ali was not in it? Oh well.. When I see Longneck I assume she's going to be in it..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
*novaflare smacks TheNumberOneShmuck

NO need for the lang here man. But i do how ever agree with the thought. CTN really seems to have pulled another gundamn wing beast machines move with the series. Ive got this ffeeling we will not see another new episode on CTN. This is the same lame thing they did with the one gundam wing series. They showed about 1/2 a season then re ran it over and over and over again then just stopped airing it. If this turns out to be the case i will be creatign a little form to send to ytv their ca affiliate and see if maybe we can get all the current and future eps to place on a site for download comercials intact. They did this with the beast machines for a little site that wasnt little for long. Trying to remember the url ill prob need to dig around my other comp for it. Basically the guy who ran the site had a 1 man operation till he put the beast machiens eps up then he needed lots of help with the site lol.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Well, this seems to be an omen of things to come. "The time of great growing" will be upon Littlefoot soon? What will this mean for the series? At least it's good to see that the characters will actually grow at some time. The final test was easy; I had guessed it in about 5 seconds; like the Gordium knot, it's a trick test.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm guesing that he will have to "grow up' in one form or another.. perhaps that is a hint that his grandparents are old and probably won't be around when  he's grown up? Littlefoot is the last of his herd, remember, he was the only egg to hatch.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Noname,Apr 28 2007 on  10:52 AM
Well, this seems to be an omen of things to come. "The time of great growing" will be upon Littlefoot soon? What will this mean for the series? At least it's good to see that the characters will actually grow at some time. The final test was easy; I had guessed it in about 5 seconds; like the Gordium knot, it's a trick test.
Only easy to a out side observer.
If you or i or any one else had to face such a task we would have a hard time with it as well.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Objectively speaking; those were some bad tests for leadership. First, strength has nothing to do with being a good leader; some of the best leaders in world history were weakened, like Franklin Roosevelt. Second, the intelligence test was far too easy. The third test was also easy, but it did test one good leadership trait, that of judgement. Even with those traits, one can still see a leader going bad. I'm sure that all sorts of bad historical leaders could have passed those tests. A better test would have been asking how Littlefoot would react to difficult situations, such as a drought or a flood, a food shortage, a predator attack, or a fire. Those qualities are what's needed for a leader; moderation, courage, and wisdom. And a system of checks and balances will still be needed.  That, and a respect for all the members in society.

EDIT: The test could have looked like this if it were teaching things practicable to a leader of a herd of dinosaurs:

1. Moderation test: A limited number of leaves are brought out. They have to be shared with others. Let's just assume that Littlefoot's friends are brought out to participate in this test as well, in order to simulate a herd. The simulation would involve a leader having to be moderate, share the limited food with others, and quite possibly, go with less food in order to feed the others. By showing moderation, one won't give in to excess, and thus, will avoid the excesses of tyranny.

2. Courage test: This one is harder to come up with. I suppose that some simulated threat could be given (like the "tar-log" trick we see in the first movie, or a shadow of something that could be frightening, etc.) Anyway, once the simulated threat is brought out, Littlefoot would have to endure it, get past it, and prove to be courageous. This really isn't easy to test without tools or technology...

3. Wisdom test: A series of questions designed to test character. To determine how moral a leader one could be. Some questions could include the question "Is something good because God says it is, or does God say that something is good because it actually is good?" (if the dinosaurs in this series have a conception of God, that is.) This would test whether the potential leader believes in the false maxim "might makes right", which a good leader will NEVER believe in. Another question could be "what is the wisest thing one can say?" This can be answered with "The wisest thing one can say is how little they really know." By admitting how little one
knows, one won't make the mistake of assuming that one knows what one does not know, and will therefore be able to see reality all the more clearly.

Of course, true political virtue cannot be taught; it can only be learned. This is why there is no such thing as a "president's school." The wisest thing to say about political virtue tests (what the tests in the show were), is that they are all insufficient.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, this was an interesting episode to say the least.

I was surprised by how Littlefoot was climbing that near vertical cliff.  I mean, there's hardly any footholds.  Then again, there are some animals of today that can climb near vertical cliffs.  Perhaps longnecks are an evelutionary precident of those animals. :)

I was actually one of the few that was stumped with how to cross the lava pit.  I would've probably never guessed it was a trick test. :P:

Now, as for Shorty... well, I would've probably liked it if it was his first time seeing Chomper.  You know, see how he feels about the idea of being friends with a sharptooth.

Shorty doesn't seem to know much about leading a herd.  You'd think he'd learn so much from being around Bron.

For a second there, I thought Littlefoot might end up being involved in saving Shorty.  Then again, considering the long trail and everything, it would've taking Littlefoot quite some time to make it, and who knows how long Shorty could hold out?

I think you guys can guess what my opinion is on the songs, considering they're remakes and all. :p

Well, expect the lyrics to the songs tomorrow, Action9000.

And congrats to Littlefoot.  I had a feeling you'd pass. B)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I Think one of the tests should have been creating and leading a herd, since Littlefoot is the last of his herd, he's going to have to start a new one from scratch, either through mating and having children, or bringing in stragglers, like Shorty or Rhette, or a combo of both.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It would be something that a leader would have to do, and it would be very difficult for Littlefoot , given his age, to pass the test.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well, what would leaders of a herd have to concern themselves with?

Perhaps this list will cover it:

- Finding enough food and water for everyone.
- Leading everyone away from danger and towards shelter/safety.
- Resolving disputes amicably.
- Representing his herd in inter-herd diplomacy.
- And perhaps, if the system is hereditary... providing an heir.

None of the tests given in the episode cover any of these.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It is something that Littlefoot will eventually have to deal with...and the tests in the episode weren't that great..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well, the series has fulfilled its two promises; we have seen Ali and we have seen Bron again, as the ends of each movie (IV and X) said that we would.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
How about Ali meeting Bron? That would be interesting, to say the least...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Or Bron meeting Topsy, or Bron meeting (fighting) Red Claw. We've already seen Topsy and Littlefoot's grandfather fighting Redclaw, Screech and Thud...