The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

If this were remade.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Before we begin, I am not saying it should be remade. I would sooner see this sink into obscurity than let anyone in modern Hollywood touch it. Alas, the simple reality is that we live in an era of remakes and reboots, so we may as well brace ourselves for the possibility. This is not a topic about "How would you like to see it remade?" Oh, this is nothing so optimistic. This is a topic about what would probably happen if it was put through the modern Hollywood remake machine.

I will begin:

1. CGI animation. We are lucky, no, blessed, that the new LBT sequel is getting traditional animation instead of this. However, if this were to be remade with the purpose of putting it in theaters, we all know that those wonderful handdrawn cells would be replaced with 3D graphics.
Could they do it well? Yes, but the animators of the 1988 original did something magical that I don't think can ever be duplicated.

2. The theme of death. It would probably remain, since having a parent die has remained a constant in children's entertainment over the decades, but HOW they would handle it is the question. I can't see them allowing a redone death of Mommy Longneck being anything like the beautifully subdued, quiet original. Focus groups would likely consider it too depressing for the kiddies and something more grand like her and the Sharptooth both vanishing down a crack would happen.

3. Casting. A-list celebrities. Every last one of them. I fully foresee Adam Sandler being cast as Petrie if this becomes reality. They would also likely give the Sharptooth a voice, probably Hugo Weaving. He would also get his own villain song about how he wants revenge on the little longneck that ruined his eye. Which leads us to...

4. Musical, because that's what Disney still does. Plus, most of the LBT sequels have been musicals and a remake would no doubt follow the trend. If we're lucky, they'd at least hire recent song writers and get solid talent to perform.

5. Fear factor. Now this one is something I am not particularly worried about. Children's entertainment has not been shy about being frightening lately, so I think they would actually allow Sharptooth to be a credible threat, on top of all the other things that menace the kids over the course of the film.

6. The writing. Hoo boy, here is the sticking point, isn't it? Would they have a decent script and would the characters still be the lovable gang of five we all love?

What are your thoughts?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Oct 16 2015 on  11:07 PM
Before we begin, I am not saying it should be remade. I would sooner see this sink into obscurity than let anyone in modern Hollywood touch it. Alas, the simple reality is that we live in an era of remakes and reboots, so we may as well brace ourselves for the possibility. This is not a topic about "How would you like to see it remade?" Oh, this is nothing so optimistic. This is a topic about what would probably happen if it was put through the modern Hollywood remake machine.

I will begin:

1. CGI animation. We are lucky, no, blessed, that the new LBT sequel is getting traditional animation instead of this. However, if this were to be remade with the purpose of putting it in theaters, we all know that those wonderful handdrawn cells would be replaced with 3D graphics.
Could they do it well? Yes, but the animators of the 1988 original did something magical that I don't think can ever be duplicated.

2. The theme of death. It would probably remain, since having a parent die has remained a constant in children's entertainment over the decades, but HOW they would handle it is the question. I can't see them allowing a redone death of Mommy Longneck being anything like the beautifully subdued, quiet original. Focus groups would likely consider it too depressing for the kiddies and something more grand like her and the Sharptooth both vanishing down a crack would happen.

3. Casting. A-list celebrities. Every last one of them. I fully foresee Adam Sandler being cast as Petrie if this becomes reality. They would also likely give the Sharptooth a voice, probably Hugo Weaving. He would also get his own villain song about how he wants revenge on the little longneck that ruined his eye. Which leads us to...

4. Musical, because that's what Disney still does. Plus, most of the LBT sequels have been musicals and a remake would no doubt follow the trend. If we're lucky, they'd at least hire recent song writers and get solid talent to perform.

5. Fear factor. Now this one is something I am not particularly worried about. Children's entertainment has not been shy about being frightening lately, so I think they would actually allow Sharptooth to be a credible threat, on top of all the other things that menace the kids over the course of the film.

6. The writing. Hoo boy, here is the sticking point, isn't it? Would they have a decent script and would the characters still be the lovable gang of five we all love?

What are your thoughts?
I've been intrigued by the idea of a CGI remake of the original since there was so much I felt it could do better. Alas, now my hopes are gone. I mean, Adam Sandler as Petrie? Like... :wow  :wow  :wow  :wow  :wow

I expect the worst now. Simply because I am aware of what the best is.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Nothing beats the original... no matter what, it'll be worse.. I think your points are quite good. If they remade it, they would probably do most of that :p
Inactive, probably forever.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Ducky123,Oct 17 2015 on  05:37 PM
Nothing beats the original... no matter what, it'll be worse..
I'd have to disagree. A remake can sometimes be better, depending on how it's handled.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Although remakes can sometimes be better than the original, I share WR's concerns with how contemporary Hollywood would handle a remade Land Before Time.  I suspect that they would ruin it, and make something that was quite safe and generic as opposed to the uniqueness of the original.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'd have to disagree. A remake can sometimes be better, depending on how it's handled.

Yes, of course a remake could be better (depends on the quality of the movie which is remade) but I was referring to LBT 1 specially (maybe should have made that clearer). I don't see any possibility of improving this movie (unless they add the deleted scenes, that is ;)). Even if they use the best computer-animation out there - animation you can see in movies like How To Train Your Dragon, it just won't be the same. The nostalgic feeling I always get when I watch LBT 1 would be missing...
Inactive, probably forever.

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://icedragonnet.blogspot.com.ar/
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Oct 17 2015 on  07:44 PM
Quote from: Ducky123,Oct 17 2015 on  05:37 PM
Nothing beats the original... no matter what, it'll be worse..
I agree with you, but sadly, that's often the exception rather than the rule.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I don't tend to think in ranking categories with terms like better, best, worse or worst, but I agree with Kacie that one should keep an open mind and not presume to rank something too much before having seen it (or before it is anything more than a hypothesis for that matter :lol). A remake (I think it is highly unlikely that there will be one though) would be, for better or worse, different and for me that is sufficient reason to be curious in case it ever came to pass. Even if a remake was made that people would agree upon to be better than the original, it wouldn't make the original any worse than it is now. Nor would a worse remake make the original any worse. From this perspective there doesn't seem to be much to loose, but seeing that the original is rather awesome the idea of a remake that was even "better" would be an encouraging thought :)

MC CJ'S REVENGE

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Remakes are a hit and miss in the movie industry, especially nowadays. You have to really put in 110 on a remake, otherwise you have millions of dollars wasted on something that failed. A quote from the movie Scream 4 that was said, "Don't **** with the original".

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Ironically, one of my childhood dreams was to make a modern version of LBT to keep the children updated. XD

I agree with WeirdRaptor; there's no doubt Hollywood would put in at least most of that stuff in the remake. Whether or not it'll do well, I don't know; it depends on how the staff will handle it. My biggest concern, though, is the kind of humor they'll put into it. The humor in the original was well-placed, thought-out, and appeared when it was needed, but children's movies nowadays just jump at every opportunity to pull a joke out of its butt.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
*cocks shotgun* Let's just say that me and my thugs-for-hire will ensure they don't even try it.  It's too precious to be remade.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Nov 2 2015 on  02:41 PM
*cocks shotgun* Let's just say that me and my thugs-for-hire will ensure they don't even try it.  It's too precious to be remade.
Please do. XD

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I wouldn't mind the process of overlaying the current animation with the new animation techniques of the latest installments (example: Journey of the Brave). As for completely remaking it in a Pixaresque or DreamWorks style, while intriguing, I think The Land Before Time series is served best in 2D/Animeish style with some 3D elements in the last three films. IMHO.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I can also agree it's very precious to be remade since what we have is a master piece already.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
The best reason to remake LBT or reboot it is to introduce this beloved franchise to a whole new generation. Beyond that, it would give is fans another chance to see The Gang on the big screen.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
what sense? Just give them perfect original movie - and people would be introduced by gang. All is simple.
 :rolleyes:
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Snik,Apr 17 2017 on  05:52 PM
what sense? Just give them perfect original movie - and people would be introduced by gang. All is simple.
You'd think so, anyway. The problem with trying to advertise the original Land Before Time is the same one any older film has. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of its modern descendants, and so might not tickle modern children's fancy. That's why remakes happen at all.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Apr 17 2017 on  06:12 PM
You'd think so, anyway. The problem with trying to advertise the original Land Before Time is the same one any older film has. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of its modern descendants, and so might not tickle modern children's fancy. That's why remakes happen at all.
I think for reboot to work, the LBT franchise would have to be taken in a new direction, like how Christopher Nolan took Batman franchise in a new direction (actually it is closest to comics), and how James Bond was taken in a new direction in last four films starring Daniel Craig (closer to Ian Flemming novels). For Land Before Time to really make its mark, it might need to be turned into something that emphasizes the original's hallmarks, make Sharptooth very scary, keep a Pixaresque sadness of the separation of characters, and add elements that pull at the hearts of children and adults.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Gentle Sharptooth,Apr 18 2017 on  09:45 PM
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Apr 17 2017 on  06:12 PM
I think for reboot to work, the LBT franchise would have to be taken in a new direction, like how Christopher Nolan took Batman franchise in a new direction (actually it is closest to comics), and how James Bond was taken in a new direction in last four films starring Daniel Craig (closer to Ian Flemming novels). For Land Before Time to really make its mark, it might need to be turned into something that emphasizes the original's hallmarks, make Sharptooth very scary, keep a Pixaresque sadness of the separation of characters, and add elements that pull at the hearts of children and adults.
Agreed. Alas, in reality, I doubt any modern studio executives will care enough about the original LBT to truly examine what made the original work in the first place.