The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Discuss: The Canyon of Shiny Stones

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've not noticed it but now that you mentioned it it does seem odd.  And why was Tria there instead of Threehorn.  I know someone had to watch Tricia, but Cera is His child not hers.  He was so anxious to save her in the log running episode, but not here?

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Just 'cuz Cera is not Tria's child does not mean she does not care about her or feel maternal toward her.  She came after Cera.  That should say something about their relationship.  Besides, she probably felt guilty about (unintentionally) making Cera feel bad about losing the shiny stone.  Off-topic now, I agree that the lack of emotion on the adults' part is kind of annoying <_<.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Why Cera all of a sudden decide to go try and reach for the crystal (shiny Stone)?  Thats a question I've been asking myself for so long.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think that's 'cuz Cera really does care about making things right when something goes wrong.  If she did not care about Tria and about losing the shiny stone, she would not had tried to make the situation right to begin with.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Welcome to round three of The Friendly Sharptooth’s outrageous episode reviews! The first point on my list is about green food. What about it, you ask? Good question! The episode starts with Cera and Tricia approaching their mother who has just added to her stone collection heap with a beautiful diamond. Tricia makes some noises, prompting an inquiry from her mother. Cera magically understands the gurgling and says that Tricia is hungry. Why didn’t Cera get her sister any food? Let’s take a look at her line. “We found a great tree star tree, but the good ones are too high for me to reach.” Gee, Cera, did it ever occur to you that there are thousands upon thousands of other plants in the valley that you CAN reach? Just because you find a good tree, does that automatically mean you can’t look elsewhere?

“Sweetie, would you please go and get a can of beans down from the pantry?” “Sure, mom.” The child walks into the kitchen, opens the pantry door, then finds a can of beans on the low shelf and on a high one. The first one she noticed was the one on top, so she attempts to grab it. Try as she might though, it is beyond her reach. Going back to her mother, she says, “Sorry, mom, but I couldn’t reach it. The beans were too high.” “Wasn’t there a can on the low shelf?” “Yeah, but I saw the high one first, so it has to be the one we eat.” “Why is that, dear?” “I just said it’s because I saw it first! There is no way that I am going to get the low can of beans when I saw the top one first. Now help me get it down, or I won’t be eating any beans tonight.” “Uh, whatever you say, dear.”

I mean gosh, does Cera have some policy about only scoping out one tree per meal? Then if it’s too high, she just gives up? If she wants to be obsessive, fine, but she shouldn’t take out her OCD on her hungry little sister. If Tricia is going to depend on her sister for food at times, Cera needs to get therapy, try an antipsychotic medication, or fight out her inner turmoil on her own. If this keeps up, Cera is going to have some hungry children one day.

Then we have Cera get angry at Tria for worrying about her stone and not Cera’s injury. This isn’t The Land Before Time: Dawn of the Seven Heroes from fanfiction.net. Dinosaurs don’t get psychic powers allowing one to read minds. Tria comes back and all she saw was her stone missing. How was she to know that Cera got hurt? A young boy was riding his bike then fell off. He got a tiny scrape on his shoulder and went in to wash it. His shirt completely covered the wound. Then his father comes home. “Did you have a nice day at school, son?” “I hate you! I hate you so much! I just got a scrape from falling off my bike, and my clothing covers it up so you can’t see it, and all you care about is my school day? You’re the worst father in the whole world! Get away from me!” And with that, the boy runs to his room and slam the door. Cera, if you want others to show concern for your injuries, I suggest that you first make them aware of them before complaining about them.

Then we have an engaging game of hide and seek. Apparently, Ruby isn’t very familiar with it. She looks around in the open by not behind anything. “Ruby, dinosaurs normally hide behind things, not in plain sight. Therefore, if you want to find others, you’re going to have to look around objects.” “You mean that dinosaurs actually hide in hide and seek?” “Yes, Ruby. I know it may come as a shock to you, but during hide and seek, you likely won’t find kids out in the open.” “I ëlikely’ won’t?” “Well sure, some idiots may try hiding out in the open, but that probably won’t happen. Just take it from me. Next time you play and hide and see, look in actual hiding spots, not in plain sight.”

Now we come to a prime example of the saying, “Doing it the hard way.” Tria says that she found that shiny rock nearby. Then when Cera proposes that they look for another, she suggests going on a long and perilous journey to get it. Okay, to be fair, they know that shiny stones are definitely found in the Canyon of Shiny Stones, but couldn’t they have at least tried looking in the local area first? “The evil wizard is on the attack! The only thing that can stop him is a stone of purity!” “Where do we find them?” the villagers wanted to know. “They have been seen in the area, but also on the fiery mountain of doom.” The villagers talked amongst themselves, then finally decided what to do. “Okay, the fiery mountain of doom has claimed the lives of many. It is the most dangerous place in the world. Few have survived, and those that have are usually scarred for life just from terror. The local lands are danger-free and easy to traverse. Therefore, we have decided to try the fiery mountain of doom for a purity stone.” “Good call. I had a feeling you’d say that. Now let’s scout the local- wait, what did you just say!?” Seriously, if you know something you need is in two places, try the easy one first. Duh!

Just a little point of interest here. Petrie faints upon hearing that the others want to walk by the Smoking Mountain. Then when he is excused from going, he says, “Wait, they think me scared!?” Well yeah, of course they do! You fainted at the very thought! What, did you thinking fainting was such a subtle reaction that no one would get the hint you were worried? Or did you think fainting is a sign of courage or something? “Link, the evil Ganon has stolen the triforce of power and has taken princess Zelda hostage!” The lad faints. “Wow, he sure is brave!” Body language is a big thing, Petrie. If someone faints at the very thought of something, yeah, they’re gonna think you’re afraid.

Petrie’s sense of fear is very confusing. In The Meadow of Jumping Waters episode, he openly admits that bad luck scared him. Yet in this episode, he claims to not be afraid of something that’s actually dangerous? Apparently, flying over a blasting volcano is nothing compared to bad luck. I just don’t understand how he’s scared of probability but not molten lava. “Big sis, I’m scared!” “What is it? What’s wrong?” “There’s an evil elephant in my closet! Help me! Please! I- I’m so afraid!” Three days later, a tornado is seen blowing through the siblings’ neighborhood. “Are you scared, little sis?” “Me, scared of a tornado that may destroy our home and kill us? Pfft. Gimme a break.” So, I have reached two conclusions. Either Petrie has multiple personality disorder, one being brave and the other not, or he found the triforce of courage before this episode started.

Well, that sums up my points of interest. Perhaps I overanalyzed a few things, but gimme a break; I did my best. I’m The Friendly Sharptooth. I tear apart The Land Before Time so you don’t have to! /Gets out of chair

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
very good job Sharp! Keep up the good work!!
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It was an interesting read Friendly Sharptooth.  I look forward to more.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This episode is well done :) A good plot, some action and the animation wasn't too bad (aside from a few... weird shots :lol)

Oh, and I actually like Oops Eeps, ehh I better go :bolt

Seriously, I've heard many people claiming this song is absolutely annoying but I can't quite agree to that. I prefer every new song over a cheap remake of an old song... Good Times, Good Friends is a good song as well :)
Inactive, probably forever.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
My fifth episode now. ^^

I was really hoping Cera would be able to bring back that stone from the canyon, but right from the beginning, I just knew somehow that she'd end up losing that one too. Oops-Eeps indeed.
:facepalm

This episode had some great dialogue:

Petrie: "Hey! How about we bring Tria all the tree stars we can carry?"
Cera: "Spike will just eat them all before we can get to my sleeping place."
Chomper: "I know. We could take her some fuzzy crawlers or some buzzy flyers."
Ruby: "Then you'd eat them all."

Ducky: "What is so bad about smoking mountain?"
Petrie: "It have big, black smoke that make sky all dark and spookly. And sometime it get all shaky." *suddenly smiles* "Like Cera when she mad."
[...]
Ducky: "Just because it shakes like Cera does not mean it is scary as Cera."

Mama Flyer: "It's just been so quiet lately. I hope the kids aren't getting bored."
Petrie: "MOOOMMMYYY!!!!"

And, as Ratiasu pointed out, when the lava is almost upon Ruby and all she can say is, "Oh dear..."

The songs indeed just seemed to be there.  It made it lose their shine.  Though I guess we can cut the song writers a little slack.  I mean, they're creating 26 eps here.  Most of which I'm expecting to have at least one song in.  You try coming up with 20+ songs in one year.
True, although that's kinda my problem right there. I've only seen a few episodes so far, but already it seems like they're straining a little to reach the "two songs per episode" quota. I feel it would've been better if they just aimed for one song per episode. I had a similar issue with the sequel films; instead of three or four songs, I wish they'd just done two songs, and I think that would've improved the overall song quality.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 01:13:32 AM by StardustSoldier »

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
There will always be 2 songs per episode. Get used to it.
I didn't mention it before, but personally me, I had very hard relationships with LBT songs in main movies, so in TV series, it became even worse for me.

---

sad you didn't mention the most funny quote personally for me. Famous Chomper's quote, when he was surrounded by lava and, ahem, some tasty food.  :lol :OhYou
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I am aware that every episode has two songs, but that's still a criticism I had.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 08:50:37 AM by StardustSoldier »

Little Bro

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Well, this episode was worse than I remember. I thought that people were talking about evil Ducky as a joke, and she wasn't really that evil, but she was kind of evil. She abandoned Spike, hogged the stones, didn't want to lose the stones, and risked her life for a stone. This didn't really seem like Ducky.

I like the scenes where Chomper, Littlefoot, and Petrie are looking for skycolor stones. They find no stones, but Chomper is very cute and funny. I'd give this episode 3 out of 5.
Go Chomper!

Hammy

• Chomper
    • View Profile
So, here's another episode where I don't have much to say story-wise, but lots to talk about visually. Although, one thing I do appreciate is Cera screwing up, losing Tria's stone, and then reacting by yelling at her, very much like a kid (or teenager) with a stubborn, angry character like Cera would, especially at a step-parent. It works out in the end, encouraging healthy resolutions, which I also appreciate.

Also, also, I have to make a note of how this is by far the most mortal peril I've ever seen in a preschool age aimed show. It seems like every episode or every other episode, the kids just barely escape being maimed, mauled, and murdered in various fun ways. The adults don't take it seriously, but man, the scene with all the kids climbing up to avoid the lava is still really tense, given that, again, this is a show that seems to be aimed at the 3-6 age range.

Okay, now the fun visual stuff! I'm very curious if different animation teams or even studios worked on different episodes because of how much disparity there is in animation quality and style between episodes or even scenes.

The very last shot of the episode seems oddly- stretched? Grandma and Grandpa Longneck's torsos seem a touch longer than they ought to be, and I found it a little distracting.

Also new in this episode: very obvious 3D models used for certain scenes, especially when the characters only need to do a walk cycle. Maybe it was less noticeable in the initial standard definition airings, but boy howdy, it is very, very noticeable on the 1080p Youtube uploads I've been watching. They don't even try to do the trick of only using the models at a distance, they're just up in your face at times, and it's like a cel-shaded PS2 game. Surprised no one seems to have mentioned as much.

I also made gifs! Because there's some pretty notable animation moments that stuck out to me, and really, describing or screenshotting them doesn't do justice. Not sure if or how to embed them, so I'll just be hyperlinking

Tricia rolling
One of the first things we see in the episode is Tricia doing- this. I mean, I understand what's happening and why, but man, Tricia's limbs go really rubbery and overly smooth at the end of the roll. It's like something out of Looney Tunes or My Little Pony, it's very strange to watch on loop.

Ruby spreading her arms
Again, this small bit of animation seems oddly smooth in a way I have a hard time describing. The animators did not have to have Ruby do this little gesture, they could have just had her hold her arms in an idle pose, but instead they did this. I have to wonder if the use of 3D models for certain scenes made time for little animation flair like this.

Cera and Ducky
Some very oddly expressive and smooth animation on Cera and Ducky here. Ducky's not entirely on model (she looks a lil' too much like Jiminy Cricket) but the expressions are absolutely on point. I love how Cera doesn't say a word, but her expressions say everything you need to know. Again, the animators did not have to put this much effort in, and usually you don't see this kind of detail in TV animation, even briefly. You don't even usually see this much detail in this show, which is why I have to wonder who animated all these little animation moments.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That is a good point about how Cera's reaction to losing the stone is pretty believable for a kid like her. Likewise, I do appreciate how, even in a preschool age show, there is plenty of danger and mortal peril to go around. :yes

Also new in this episode: very obvious 3D models used for certain scenes, especially when the characters only need to do a walk cycle. Maybe it was less noticeable in the initial standard definition airings, but boy howdy, it is very, very noticeable on the 1080p Youtube uploads I've been watching. They don't even try to do the trick of only using the models at a distance, they're just up in your face at times, and it's like a cel-shaded PS2 game.

Lol, that was a criticism of mine when I reviewed LBT 11 a while ago. I even used the same comparison to it looking like something out of a PS2 game. :D

Hammy

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Lol, that was a criticism of mine when I reviewed LBT 11 a while ago. I even used the same comparison to it looking like something out of a PS2 game. :D
Do they use these same character models in 11? I remember a log being CGI in movie 9, but I don't remember any 3D models for the actual characters in the films. Need to rewatch that one and 12-14. I'm only up to 10 recently.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The 3D models were only at the very end of the film, and I think it was only for some of the background characters, as opposed to the main cast. I too haven't seen #11 in a while now. But this is what I wrote about it at the time.
:PCera
The funniest moment for me was near the end, although it was almost certainly unintentional on the filmmakers' part. When the tree-sweets regrow and the dinosaurs are all sharing them, the camera pans around in a circle, and you can see some CGI dinosaurs. Not the first time computer graphics have been used, but it's the first time they used it for the dinosaur animation, and it sticks out like a sore thumb. All the more jarring because the CGI dinos can be seen alongside the regular hand-drawn ones. Why on Earth did they do it that way? And it was for such a brief shot too, which only made it feel more unnecessary. It looked like something out of a PS2 video game. I actually laughed out loud at how jarring it was.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
This episode infuriates me for one reason. :ceramad The gang makes fun of Petrie for being scared of a volcano. A VOLCANO! Out of all the things they could have made fun out of something that Petrie is scared of it's one of the most dangerous and powerful forces of nature on the planet. They have encountered volcano's before. They know how dangerous they are. Petrie has every right to be scared. But they make fun of him. What the heck? :facepalm Petrie deserves more respect. :(petrie I have a few other problems with this episode but this is what angers me the most.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 10:33:58 AM by LittleDas75 »