The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

If you wanted to resurrect LBT

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
I noticed but we can take a rough voice from the latest sequel or use sound editors to fit their voice.(South Park)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They can do that, use some sound editor stuff to make voices sound more like a kid's voice, if the voice actor can't do that themselves.  

Also would you want to continue the series from the last movie, or do a reboot as some past franchises have been rebooted.  And if a reboot use the same characters or different characters in the same or a different place?

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Nov 29 2009 on  10:12 AM
They can do that, use some sound editor stuff to make voices sound more like a kid's voice, if the voice actor can't do that themselves.  

Also would you want to continue the series from the last movie, or do a reboot as some past franchises have been rebooted.  And if a reboot use the same characters or different characters in the same or a different place?
Definitely reboot, it has gotten totally out of hands with the characters by the 13th movie.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
^ If what you mean is that the characters have gotten too outlandish (e.g., the yellow bellies), I don't think that should be much of an issue. Just don't make any more characters like that, and don't bring back the ones that have already appeared. LBT has had a (somewhat unfortunate) history of introducing new characters for a single movie who are never so much as mentioned again; while continuity is definitely preferable, if you're going to just disregard previous characters like that, you might as well do it with ones lots of people would sooner forget. :p

Personally, I don’t think the LBT series needs a reboot. To see characters and histories established over thirteen movies and a TV series just thrown away like that would be immensely disappointing to me. I think it would be better if we could just get someone to take over LBT who knew how to please a wider audience and could (perhaps gradually) bring the series back to its former glory (or, at least, something close to it).

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
The first and simple thing to do would be just to write a good story.
If that is achieved the next thing is to realize the good story in a good way (I think there are good basic stories in some LBT movies which suffered from poor realization). This sounds very very general, but these most basic things are almost all it takes, but are also trickier than they may seem.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Still think the children's novels are a good idea. It'd take exactly one person, two if you have pictures, and we'd still get full length stories and probably at a much faster rate.

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
If I wanted to resurrect LBT, I would like to remove these sing-along parts (but maybe I would implement one song which makes sense).

And... maybe I would produce two sequels at one time, one for children  (like LBT XIII with humor), and one more serious one with a great storyline. I would enlarge the duration of a LBT movie to... 100 or 120 minutes. And all the characters should play a huge role at the movies.

Then LBT ends at "LBT MCMXCIX". xD

[I hope my English was not too confused]

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Increasing the length would be a good idea.  Also no need to have 1 movie for kids and 1 for adults.  A good enough writer can write a movie that kids and adults can both like together.  Also keeping every character with an important role, without having the adults end up looking useless, like jerks, incompetent, ect, is possible also for a good writer.

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Yes we do not want to pose adults as whiners or schemimg villians

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
While a long movie is of course well... longer I think the makers would have to make sure there really IS enough happening in the movie to fill the time. In case of some of the later sequels I had the impression that they were drawing out too little action over too long a time. Some of the stories from the TV series could have been stretched out over the length of a sequel as well, but I suppose the stories would have suffered from it.

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
We may need to do surveys on ideas that would sell.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You know, one thing I'm trying to figure out with my idea though is what species the antagonist would be.  I mean, in order for them to enter the valley, they would have to be a Leafeater.  On top of this, since they have to be the antagonist, they just have to be downright scary to a kid.  What kind of species matches that description?  Leafeater and scary?  Is there such a combination?

Seriously, I'm having a hard time figuring this one out. -_-

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Dec 1 2009 on  02:25 AM
Leafeater and scary? Is there such a combination?
Oh, definitely. :yes There were TONS of herbivorous dinosaurs that were pretty terrifying. Heck, as far as I'm concerned, threehorns were some of the scariest non-predatory dinosaurs out there. (Yes, you're welcome, Cera. :p) Here's just a few that spring to mind:

ï Therizinosaurus. In the same family of dinosaurs as the yellow bellies, but about the same size as T. rex, with three-fingered hands bearing claws up to three feet long. :blink: In fact, it was so bizarre-looking that if one showed up in the Great Valley (an idea I had for a fanfiction of my own), I'm not sure the residents would even recognize it as a leafeater, so it might not be ideal for the role.

ï Shunosaurus. A rather small longneck (~30' long) with a spiked club at the end of its tail.

ï Spinophorosaurus. A recently discovered longneck (also small, around 40') with stegosaur-like spikes at the end of its tail. Though perhaps a Spinophorosaurus or Shunosaurus character would be less inclined toward racism, as they might see themselves as composite dinosaurs of a sort: a "clubtail longneck" and "spiketail longneck", respectively.

ï Styracosaurus. Has appeared as a background character in LBT before, but for some reason the filmmakers chose the less spectacular species S. ovatus, as opposed to the more familiar S. albertensis, which had considerably longer frill spikes, and more of them. It might be an issue, though, that Styracosaurus has already been employed in villainous roles in some fanfics, so if you're looking for something more original, you might want to pass this one up.

ï Polacanthus or Gastonia. Armored dinosaurs, related to Nod's species (Nodosaurus) but much spikier.

ï Stygimoloch. This dinosaur has recently been suggested to be simply an immature Pachycephalosaurus, which it resembled quite closely apart from having a smaller skull dome, lesser overall size, and, most notably, six-inch spikes on the back of its head.

I could probably come up with more, but I need to get to bed now. :p

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Pangaea, I took one look at the first one and OMG, that is PERFECT!  The basic design of Therizinosaurus works on so many levels for a villain.  I mean, it just looks so intimidating.  It would also look downright scary to a kid.  Also, those claws would indeed make one think it's a sharptooth.  It's the perfect Leafeater Villain.

Thanks, Pangaea. :)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You’re welcome, though I’ve personally always liked the idea of a Therizinosaurus character who was more or less benevolent, despite having a threatening appearance. (I like the contrast and paradoxicality of it. :p) So if my own fanfiction ideas ever come to fruition, expect to see a very different representation of Therizinosaurus. :p

By the way, in case you’re interested, an artist on DeviantArt made a really good picture of a Land Before Time-style Therizinosaurus.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Wiki_tha_Shadow

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Well I'm evil, but I would run some deinonychus or something through there (I know, different eon, like that's ever stopped them), like go Alien on their hindquarters. Love that series of movies.
 Seriously, I'd invade the valley with sharpteeth that found out how to get in so that paradise was lost. Some real hardship. Both sides lose a few, some new heroes are made and it moves on to some different scenery. Oh yeah, and I'd age the characters! Make them teens, give them some personal turmoil. If I ever did get hold of it, I'd ruin life for little kiddies everywhere :> :lol  :DD

>Oh yeah, and I have IsisMasshiro's DA page on favourites on my comp ^^! Next to Luis V Rey (Somewhat reluctantly, sometimes) She's my fav dinosaur artist :smile

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If I had the chance to ressurect it, I would at least make a game based upon the TV series for the PSN store and XBLA, you know, one that has trophies/achievements to go along with it.

That, and maybe give the series a new reboot, as in, a new movie that involved all seven of them, Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Petrie, Spike, Chomper and Ruby.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
First order of business: WISDOM OF FRIENDS NEVER HAPPENED. No. Never. It was just a nightmare suffered at the hands of a particularly bad batch of Taco Bell that somehow didn't really start messing with me until I was asleep. Such potent foulness that it took my sweet dream, where there was another LBT movie wherein Cuba Gooding Jr. played one of the characters, and somehow managed to mash that into a twisted, grotesque mutant of a nightmare. A nightmare that I woke up from and that never really happened.

So I'd get to work on a TV miniseries, 5 parts long, chronicling the details of how and when Ruby and Chomper got to the Valley, how Chomper got off the island and what became of his parents, how Redclaw got his scar and came to stalk about the parts of the Mysterious Beyond surrounding the Valley, how and why Screech and Thud came to be so buddy-buddy with Redclaw, and the troubles the inhabitants of the Valley had accepting Chomper into their society.

Then there'd be the 13th movie, a second season of the show, and a 14th movie, which might bring the series to a final, definitive end. I'm sleepy and haven't really thought about this, so I'm not really sure what I'd do with those three things, other than I'd really like to give Pterano, Bron, and Shorty prominent roles in at least one of the movies, as well as hand out some screen time to Pat, Rinkus, and Sierra (I just naturally assume they wouldn't have let Pterano off the hook that easily for leading them to some big, dumb exploding rock on top of a damn volcano)

I do know that, although they would try to lean more toward the early sequels in terms of artistic style applied to the surroundings (there's something of a... I dunno... rougher look that the series lost with the move away from traditional animation, and I liked it) the feel of the characters and the story would definitely take cues from the later ones. I quite like what a proficient deadpan snarker Cera developed into, and the story of the 10th movie really was great. Still can't believe they had the guts to actually bring Littlefoot's father into the narrative, after 9 movies with no such character. I'm glad they did, though, I like how it turned out. They really punched the status quo in the face with that one, and I got thrown for one helluva loop. Awesome. I also love what a legitimate menace the Liopleurodon got to be in the 9th movie, with the attack in the big pond. The rain, the lightning, the whole thing taking place at night... man, I loved that scene, even if Moe was the most irritating character this side of my nightmares.

The songs would stay, and I would take great pains to ensure that they never got as ear-bleedingly awful as Who Needs You or as brain-meltingly stupid as Legend of the Lone Dinosaur ever again. (LotLD may have been just a mindless bucket-'o-fun, so cheesy I could spread it on my pizza, and it was enjoyable in that specific, special way, but I really couldn't stomach another song like that) I would cut down on the number of songs in the show, however. Save them for certain special moments, y'know? Not every episode needs two songs, (or even any, in some cases) Movies 10 and 12 had better song lineups than the other sequels, so I'd take cues mostly from there, especially with regards to Adventuring and Flip, Flap, and Fly.

Maybe I could get other ideas after some sleep. I'll go try that. *collapses into desk*

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think I'd do a reboot.  Either a total reboot or one like they did with Godzilla in 1985 where only the first movie happened, none of the others.  Not sure which I would idea I would go with.  

wisdom of friends never happened? Reminds me of a silly marvel comic I read decades ago.  Where  aunt may becomes a herald of Galactus called Golden Oldie, finds a baker who can make Galactus a planet size twinkie so he never eat another planet.   Then revealed on the last page it was a dream Stan Lee had.  It was during the month when editors had to go to some sort of conference or convention or something and the assistant editors were in charge.  Some decided to go the silly route.