The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The styles of the songs in LBT

Guest · 5 · 1399

Bruton the Iguanodon

You know, it was really interesting when we got "Standing Tough" in movie 3---it was such an unexpected surprise because it showed the LBT movies could pull off rock music. Movie 4 also had some awesome orchestral broadway-style numbers, and there are a few nice ballads we've gotten, the best by far being "No one has to be alone" and "Kids like us". "When you're big" was great with it's big band style music, and "Eggs" used a hilarious soap opera style.   Unfortunately, the films choose to put their music into bland territory rather then shine with these styles. "The lone dinosaur" goes into country territory---aka, forbidden territory. "Bad luck" is a swing song that is fun, but rather lame. "Good inside" is rather dull, and "The mad song", while fun and worked up, has it's cheesy kiddie-pop appeal to it. "Imaginary Friends", once of the worst songs of the film, goes into forbidden reggae territory, and "Me and my dad",  and "Freidns for dinner" had a lame kiddie feel to them. "Girls and dads" admittedly has a good style to it. But too often the people who make these movies choose lame styles. Hmm...what do you think?

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
Something interesting I've noticed about the sequels is that pretty much all of the songs in them (except 2 and 4 due to different songwriters) seem to follow a set formula (for those who don't know, Michele Brourman (music) and Amanda McBroom (lyrics) were the songwriters throughout the sequels not yet mentioned). The formula: a 12/8 song (or whatever time signature it may be), a slow song, and something else, with two occasionally combining. So...

(again, leaving 2 and 4 out of the question; and don't get me started on the TV series...please...)

For LBT 3:
12/8 song: When You're Big
Slow song: Kids Like Us
Other song: Standing Tough

For LBT 5:
12/8 song: Big Water
Slow song: Always There
Other song: Friends for Dinner

For LBT 6:
12/8 song/Slow song: On Your Own
Other songs: Bad Luck/The Legend of the Lone Dinosaur

For LBT 7:
12/8 song: Good Inside
Slow song: Beyond the Mysterious Beyond
Other song: Very Important Creature

For LBT 8:
12/8 song/Slow song: The Lesson
Slow song: Family
Other song: The Mad Song

For LBT 9:
12/8 song: Chanson D'Ennui
Slow song: No One Has to Be Alone
Other song: Imaginary Friends

For LBT 10:
12/8 song: Me and My Dad
Slow song: Bestest Friends
Other song: Adventuring

For LBT 11:
12/8 song: Girls and Dads
Slow song: If Only
Other song: Creepy Crawlies (and its unnecessary reprises)

For LBT 12:
12/8 song: One of a Kind
Slow song: Things Change
Other song: Flip, Flap and Fly

However, in the case of LBT 13, it seems the format changed slightly, and not in a very good way to many. Now, the song format here is simple: Slow song ("How Do You Know") and two songs just for the purpose of them being drilled in one's head for weeks ("Say So" and "Yellow Belly Bounce"). Weird, huh? :p

This is just something that I thought I'd point out about the songs. While I love most, if not all, of the songs in the sequels dearly, I just wish the songwriters would vary in style more often than they did. Hopefully, with the new one coming out, that can change for the better, although I kinda doubt it if it's the same songwriters. I sometimes wish I was one of the songwriters for the series...just a thought.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yay! Someone finally commented on my really, really, really old topic!!  :smile

Wow, good observations!! I don't know time-signatures that well but I have noticed how the have similar rhythms!  :smile

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good observation :) It totally fits when you go through all the songs. I personally don't mind the pattern... slow songs tend to be those I like most but these 12/8 songs are usually quite catchy and at last decent in quality. Plus it's a pretty cool rhythm. Overall I'm happy with most of the songs. I've even grown to like some songs which many people really dislike here (*cough* Yellowbelly Pounce *cough*)

I'm also happy that they tried to explore many different styles of music. Let's admit it, it didn't always work out very well but I'm still happy to have that variety of styles throughout the series :)
Inactive, probably forever.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
There are a lot of popular songs composed in 12/8, actually. The Beatles did a ton like "With a Little Help From My Friends", Queen has "Killer Queen", the Beach Boys have "California Girls", and so on.