The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Unintentional Foreshadowing?

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Something I wonder about is if some of the sequels aren't exactly original ideas. And no, I'm not accusing the show of copying from other shows (though it may have). What I am saying is, perhaps those who worked on the sequels borrowed from the original movie for the entire cores of the plots. One I have noticed as possible is quite a stretch while the other two seem a bit more down to earth. Littlefoot's mother says that the Great Valley has more food than they could ever eat. Could that not possibly be what inspired the fifth movie? She also says that the Great Valley has more water than they could ever drink. A possible line used to make movie three, perhaps? And here is the farfetched one. When she said some things you see with your eyes and others your heart, that might have been what inspired movie two. At first, the kids, even Littlefoot, saw Chomper with their eyes; they saw a meat eater. Then they learned to see him their hearts; they saw a friend. Does anyone else think it is possible that at least some of the sequels were directly inspired by what started it all?

Bruton the Iguanodon

You are so on to something here, man. I like your ideas a lot.

By the way, thanks for the video review you sent me a few months back! It was really well done, and it was nice to have a face to put to one of my fellow members!

And by the way, I think I'd put that bit at the end you asked about cause...I was kinda wating a response.:bang    Sorry.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I don't see this as likely. By the time the original movie was produced there was no intention of any sequels.
What else could Littlefoot's mother say anyway to be a little more descriptive than "It's a really pretty place"?
In a world where food is really rare, and where clear water may be rare too these would be the very distinctive features to describe the Valley, but it is almost impossible to say anything other than using such unspecific attributes like beautiful without refering to something that we see in the sequels. The range of possibilities in the world of LBT is somewhat limited so taking lives most dire necessities (food and water) from the dinosaurs would be as obvious choice for making plots as the availability of said necessities would be to describe a place where the dinosaurs would want to live.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I do see the connections you are making here, so it is possible that the producers were inspired by those. Having said that, I also agree with Malte on this one. I don't think there was any intention or desire to make a sequel, let alone 12 sequels and a TV series, which would explain why Don Bluth has no involvement with the sequels at all. This could have been nothing more than just coincidence.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
^ Though I must admit that in my previous post I clearly overlooked the word unintentional in the title of this thread. Without any planned intention on the part of the producers I see where the perception of paralells can come from.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Thank you all for the replies. I agree with what you're saying. I should have put content into the post itself about it not being planned instead of just using a single word in the title, so my fault there. I feel it might have been like a lot of LBT fan fictions are. One person writes one as a single project then someone else comes along and goes, "Hey, I like that idea! I think I'll continue from it using some of its themes." I myself have written an entire fan fiction purely because I saw a picture on deviant art and wanted to make a story that tells what happened in it and afterwards. I just can't help but wonder if the writers were sitting in their story rooms trying to think of ideas for sequels then they watched the first movie again and were like, "Okay, we can use some of this!"

"And by the way, I think I'd put that bit at the end you asked about cause...I was kinda wating a response. Sorry."

You're fine, nothing to apologize about.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I suppose it is possible that some of the plots were inspired by themes introduced in the original, especially if they had one or two people in important positions who really did give a crap about trying to make a worthy sequel to the original. I don't even pretend to know what the likelihood of that is, but it is something to think about.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf