The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

WeirdRaptor's Recaps, Episode 1

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
WeirdRaptor’s Recaps:
The Land of Faraway:

Greetings, ladies and gentlemen…and Zoidberg. This is just a little project I’m working on when not writing my “Lord of the Rings” recap. I promise I will finish that, but after a while, I just need to write about something else, and this is the perfect film for me tear into little ribbons. This movie, The Land of Faraway, and I go back a long ways, back to cave man times when VHS tapes could still be rented in video stores. I discovered this movie in an independently run video store I always went because it had a better selection than any of the big time stores like Blockbuster. The downside was that it always smelled like cigarettes.

While I love this movie to pieces as a personal guilty pleasure of mine, I am well aware that it is a mediocre little piece that plays like a generic fairy tale and hits every clichÈ in that particular book along the way, and manages to do so in just the first 15-20 minutes. Then after its done being the most fairy tale-iest fairy tale you’ve ever seen, it turns into a fantasy-adventure with all the seamlessness of a Frankensteinian Construct at which point it starts ripping off plot points from “The Lord of the Rings” in some of the oddest and most original ways. Yes, it is so unoriginal that it passes infinity, curves back, and returns as something completely original.

So as you can imagine, this recap’s subject is a doozy of a weird fantasy family film, titled, “The Land of Faraway”, or “Mio in The Land of Faraway”, or “Mio Mein Mio”. This is a Soviet Union-Sweden co-production in the mid-1980s, directed by Vladimir Grammatikov, based on a book by Astrid Lindgren.

Despite this, it had a surplus of British and American actors in the primary cast, was filmed in English, had shooting locations in both Moscow and Scotland, and had its special effects done by Derek Meddings of James Bond and Superman: The Movie fame. Did I mention this was Soviet Union-Swedish co-production…in the 1980s when the world was still steeped in The Cold War? I’m not criticizing anyone who took a job on this opus. I’m just surprised they were willing to, considering where one of the production companies came from.

Now, I can’t vouch for what the book this was based upon was like since I never read it. Hell, I don’t even have the slightest clue how much this movie deviates from that book or what the author’s attitude of the film is! However, the film was poorly received with Swedish audiences, so there’s that.

Nicholas Pickard, the first of two child actors in his feature film debut plays our hero, Mio/Bosse (pronounced Bus-ah). He’s too stupid to live, as you will soon see. He’s also played by the worse actor in the movie. I will give the actor points for trying, though. When this kid acts in this movie, he acts with every muscle in his face. Not a single ligament is spared! Anyway, I will be calling our hero by the name of Mio to avoid confusion, since he’s only called “Bosse” for the first 15 minutes or so.

Christian Bale (yes, that Christian Bale), the other child actor making his debut in film, plays both of Mio’s best friends, and Jum-Jum (pronounced Yum-Yum), and Benke (pronounced Ben-kai). No, not a character with two names, like the Mio up above, but literally dual roles. Not that it matters, since both characters are basically the same character, play the same role, and are far more intelligent than our hero.

Christopher Lee plays our villain. I just blew your mind, didn’t I?

Once-up-and-coming-but-never-quite-made-it-actor Timothy Bottoms plays Mio’s deadbeat father and Benke’s responsible father. Yes, dual roles again.

Susanna York plays a crazed hermit who has a pair of MacGuffins for our “hero” and his hyper-competent sidekick to pick up. Actually, she’s the first of three crazed hermits, and the one with the best hygiene.

The rest of the cast are either Swedish or Russian actors. Why yes, a few of these guys get dual roles, too. Most notably this one guy who looks and sounds like a Swedish Christopher Lloyd.

On with the show! Our movie begins with a black screen and music identical to any old school Frankenstein movie while our opening credits begin. Then without a beat the music turns into light-hearted fantasy music with pianos, wind instruments, and violins the instant the title appears and we’re presented with a painting with the title in real fancy letters and a sword just to the right of it. The painting is outlined with the image of some leafy vines, which the camera inexplicably zooms into and then stays there for a while.

Then the music suddenly changes again, this time sounding like something a marching band would play. It’s eerily like the music from the intro credits of Bakshi’s The Lord of the Rings-Part One. There is nothing connecting or leading into the different segments of music. It’s still all played like one piece despite that each part of it couldn’t sound more like they came from different sources if they tried.

The camera pans to the left when the music made that last change and we’re presented with another painting. This one is of an island with a beautiful, bright, and cherry landscape with what looks like Minas Tirith in the middle, but surrounded by darkened and threatening mainland on all sides. Yes, this is The Land of Faraway, a magical and wondrous land so dangerous you’ll wonder why you wanted to leave Earth in the first place. No, I’m not joking about that. The evil parts of The Land of Faraway are like if evil parts of Narnia abused steroids. Of all the magical fantasy universes you could visit, this one is the least inviting. This painting is also outlined in leafy vines, and yes, the camera zooms in on that after a while, too. I guess the director was a flora enthusiast.

Once the credits end, the film begins proper with an aerial side shot of Stockholm, Sweden, not that you’d know from this movie. Yes, there’s a subtitle of white letters which says “Stockholm”, but here’s the problem. The overcast skies’ clouds are just thin enough that the sun is shining through and they’re giving off that effect that makes the entire sky look white-ish, so the subtitle is illegible.

Our hero Mio begins narrating in completely monotone in-character, as if retelling his daring adventures. If you get a chance to watch this movie, make sure to have a few caffeine-rich drinks on hand, because this kid’s narration makes Harrison Ford’s shoed-in line reading at the end of the theatrical cut of Blade Runner look downright inspired.

Then we actually see Mio, and he looks like Mara Wilson of “Matilda” fame, as a boy. He’s waiting just outside the gates of a school for his best friend, Benke (Bale in the first of two roles). Benke emerges from the facility and the two meet up and go to the park to go kite flying with Benke’s father (Bottoms also in the first of two roles). Oh, yay.

Before, they stop off at a store when Mio is supposed to buy unsalted Ritz brand crackers for his uncle, Sixton, who has a weak heart. Mio comments that one of the employees of this store, a blonde babe pretty enough to enter an international beautiful contest, is always very kind to him. Yes, this is relevant later. Afterwards, Mio stops off at the abode of his cruel Aunt Edna and Uncle Sixton. He has the expression of a soldier about to go on a suicide mission as he nears the house.

He enters and takes off his boats on the newspaper that are laid out in front of the front door. His aunt is heard from off-screen instructing him to do this as he goes about various tasks in perfect unison to his movements. Then she finally makes her appearance when he sets the crackers on the kitchen counter. Hoo boy, how to begin to describe her. She is the prime paragon of creepy, mean movie aunts. Everything from her unkempt wavy, gray hair to her ghostly pale loose hanging skin and cold stare are everything you’ve ever envisioned in an evil caretaker.
Mio asks if he can go to the park with Benke, but she shoves the crackers in his face, exclaiming that these are salted. Oops. However, she lets him but tells him to be back by six.

Onto the park! The boys meet Benke’s father who has the kit…AAAURGH!!! WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING! ITS COLD EYES STARE INTO MY SOUL! IT KNOWS MY NAME! So, the trio proceeds to fly the world’s most terrifying kite in the park. It looks like the disembodied head of an old man, but its eyes look right into the deepest core of your being. They each take turns giving it a fly, and Mio stops to watch as he hands it off to Benke. He watches the close relationship Benke and his father has and is envious. He wishes he had a father like Benke’s, but alas, he has no idea who his father is, as his mother died when he was little and he was taken in by his Aunt Edna and Uncle Sixton, who really wanted a girl instead.

Fairy Tale ClichÈ #52b: Living with cruel aunt and uncle after death of parents.
The film cuts to Mio on his way home after his time in the park when he hears a clock tower chime. He looks up and he dully narrates: “Oh no, Six O’Clock! Aunt Edna will be furious!”

So he begins trotting home as a reasonable pace instead of at the dead sprint of an abused child terrified of what fate awaits him if he’s any later than he already is. He decides to take a short cut through come gates yards and sneaks past an old man who has hung up his rugs. He’s also trying to avoid the attention of a bunch of kids who are playing roller-hockey in another part of the yard.
Just as he’s about to make a break for it, the old man discovers him and nastily shoves him into the other kids, who are apparently a gang of bullies. They proceed to take his admittedly nifty red stocking cap and use it as the puck instead, all the while very roughly pushing Mio around and knocking him down several times. Finally, they just hang the ruined cap up on the fence and go back to their game. Oh yeah, the mean old just ignored Mio’s pleas all the while this was going on. You know, movie, you’re not really making me want to go to Stockholm.

Mio is almost in tears, and this is the only example of legitimately good acting out of young Pickard. His expression and quiet sobs look exactly like a kid that’s just been horribly bullied. Or at least I hope it was acting. I hope the director didn’t just spring this on the kid. Given how bland and unconvincing the rest of this kid’s performance is, it’s not a difficult to conclude that the director enforced actual emotion on the actor for this scene, because as far as bully scenes go, this was pretty intense. I’m almost certain that the kid really took some real, as in “real”, spills when the other kids where knocking him around.

He retrieves the ruined hat from the fence and go home. Once there, he’s immediately set upon by his aunt who severely scolds him for wrecking his cap, getting dirty, and being late. Then she grips him by the hair with an iron hold and drags him into the bathroom where she washes the dirt off his face with the gentle touches of a continuous branding of Indian Burns! Then she sends him to bed with no dinner.

The film jumps ahead of bit as we hear Aunt Edna say horrible things about Mio’s father while the boy listens from his bedroom. She calls him a no-good bum, which I actually agree with, and so will you when we meet him. Then she utters that “that boy is evil” for absolutely no reason. Now, in this scene, the actor has the sad look down decently well, but his line delivery is flat and dull as he rebukes her claims from the safety of his bedroom where she can’t hear him. This kid’s life sucks.

So he does what any child does when faced with these situations. He decides he’s had enough and runs sneaks out in the middle of the night to go looking for his missing father. He fails to take any money with him and he has no ideas who too look for to get answers. Well, if nothing else, this plan is about as well thought as I’d expect from a ten year old.

So he sets out to discover his father, but first, he stops off at that store he visited earlier to say goodbye to that nice lady who always treated him nice. Oddly, the store is glowing with a heavenly light and so is she. She’s also wearing white robes. He explains the situation to her, and shockingly, she bids him good luck on finding his father. She gives him an apple as well as a letter she’d like him to deliver for her, and instructs him only to use the mail box at the end of the corner at that street.

Mio complies, but not before reading the letter him. It basically says, “Hey, your son’s coming.” But it’s worded in a way to try to hide that fact. Mio delivers it and heads to the park.

He sits down on a park bench and is about to bite into the apple when it suddenly glows and turns to gold. Well, good thing it decided to do that before he bit into it! He drops it in surprise and it rolls over to an empty whiskey bottle, which has something alive inside of it trying to wriggle it’s way free. So instead of picking up the golden apple and selling it, he picks up the whiskey bottle and opens it.

Out comes the giant, floating, disembodied head of an old man looking exactly like a real life version of that terrifying kite from earlier. Mio picks up the golden apple now and politely introduces himself to the head, instead of, you know, fleeing in terror and screaming like a little girl as he went. He asks what business brought the thing that introduces itself as “The Spirit of The Land of Faraway”.

The Spirit refuses to answer, so Mio asks if he can go to The Land of Faraway with it, and again, he is refused, but then the Spirit spots the golden apple in his hand.
“You bear an apple of gold? Yes, interesting. Alright, grab hold of my beard. The Land of Faraway await us!”

Mio excitedly pockets the apple and grabs the old guy’s beard. The Spirit instructs him to hold on tight and begins his ascent higher into the air. Yes, you just read all this. Mio is the person the spirit was sent to retrieve and now this scrawny little kid has to hold onto it’s beard for the duration of a journey to a place called “The Land of Faraway”. And the journey is sloooow. About walking speed, in fact. Oh yeah, and they pass right over a major highway, probably causing countless accidents and deaths in the wake of the unbelievable sight.

Then thing slowly floats up above the clouds. That kid’s arms must be blue by now. I also hope he’s able to cope with the thin air. Then we see then leaving earth’s atmosphere (!) and the kid is completely a-okay. Mio looks around in wonder as they pass by stuff that looks like it came from a jewelry store as well as stuff that came from the mind of an insane beatnik before entering a black hole and passing into The Land of Faraway that way. Um, okay? Their space travel is not our own.

To be continue… Should I continue, guys? I will keep working on my LotR paper, but I’d also like to work on this.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
sounds interesting wr. i've never seen this film, so by all means please continue. and btw christopher lee has been in just about every big film series in the last 50 years.. as well as films like this. hey you've been in 500 films are you going to remember all of them? no..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Oh, I know! THe man is everywhere. There is no escape!
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've never even heard of this film.  And it does seem like Christopher Lee has been in many films.   He must be one of the ones in the most films.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, it is very obscure. Yep, Lee is someone you can always turn to if you need someone who can creepily glower at someone else.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Or speak in that voice of his. you need someone who can creep you out just reading the phone book, Lees the guy. hes going to be 90 this year, believe it or not
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Oh, I believe. He was old enough to participate in World War II as a part of the armed forces (and later as a secret agent) from the moment England got involved, after all.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Here's the beard ride from the movie courtesy of YouTube:

Beard Ride from The Land of Faraway

EDIT:

Here's the full song that plays during the Beard Ride, titled "Mio My Mio". I love this song.
Mio My Mio

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Part 2:

The entire screen is shrouded in light and Mio and Giant Floating Head have apparently successfully pulled off reentry. A land mass comes into view through the clouds, and Mio asks where they are. The Big Giant Head answers that that is “Green Meadow Island”. Right now, I’m sure Hasbro is probably kicking themselves for not having thought of that first for a My Little Pony location. The Head formally welcomes him to The Land of Faraway as they pass by an obvious castle model.

When they pass by the castle, I always expect to hear: “Roger, you are clear for landing, Head. Over.”

As they near the ground, Mio can see a figure standing on the shore (The King, played by Bottoms in his second of two roles in this movie). The Head starts to introduce him, but Mio cuts him off, stating that he already knows: “That’s my father.” The spirit answers: “Yes, you father. The King of the Land of Faraway.”

Faery Tale ClichÈ # 47C: The Long Lost Parent is a Ruler of Some Kind.

Actually, the King is dressed pretty unimpressively, with his garb more akin to hippy robes with one of those plastic Burger King crowns they used to sell adorning his head. The spirit sets Mio down and the boy rushes over to his father and hugs him. The King simply says, “Mio. My Mio,” and wraps his arms around his son, with his robes are covering Mio’s entire body except his head. When they break the embrace, Mio is suddenly dressed in…Luke Skywalker’s wardrobe from the first Star Wars movie? ...Okay.

Mio is surprised and asked why the king is calling him that (his name was Bosse on Earth). The King has this to say: “I searched for you for many years, always saying, ëMio. My Mio.’ So you see, I should know that is your name.” …Whatever floats your boat, bub.

Then we cut to Mio and the King (no, seriously, he’s never identified under any other name) wandering one the castle gardens and Mio narrates that “My father took my hand in his. It felt good to feel my hand in his, like a right father. I always that that the Aunt Edna and Uncle Sixton was all wrong. This was my father.”
Yeah, it’s all so right now. In fact, everything’s so right now that he never came back to find you despite the fact that Stockholm is your mother was born, raised, and died. So right that’s where we had one of his agents stationed keeping watch on you so therefore knew exactly where you were the entire time. So right that he knew you were being abused but never did anything about it.

Seriously, what the hell was a king of a fantasy world even doing in Stockholm, anyway? And why did he stay long enough for all of Mio’s Earthly relatives to meet him after boinking Mio’s mom? In fact, why did he procreate with Mio’s mom? Were the ladies just not putting out in Green Meadow Island?  Was he banished by his father for picking a fight with Ice Giants? And why did he not come claim his child the instant the mother was dead? We are given absolutely no explanation for any of this. I don’t get this entire plot point. In fact, the whole thing about Mio being from Earth ends up such a non-issue once the next major plot element gets going that the film could have just abandoned the entire fairy taleesque first act altogether.

Yes, that’s right. The rest of the film? It has absolutely nothing to do what we’ve just seen up to this point. So unless there’s some other plot point from the book that made Mio being from Earth relevant for the remainder of story, and this film is just leaving it out, there was no purpose in not just beginning the film with Mio already as the prince of the Land of Faraway. But enough about that, we have ten year olds with absolutely no riding experience to stuff onto saddles.

Back to business, the actor playing Mio drones on about how wonderful his true home is with all the conviction of someone put under heavy sedation. Then we hear the clopping of hooves approaching, and it is a fully saddled and bridled white horse with no rider. Mio looks up at his father, who nods, and the boy runs up to the horse. He looks at dad again, and who nods again, and he starts petting the horse.

“What’s his name,” Mio asks.

“Shadowfax, the Lord of all Horses.”

Okay, not really, but he is Shadowfax under another name. Here, he’s called Miramas, likely a shout out to the Distribution Company for the U.S. release of this film, Miramax. The King announces that this is Mio’s horse and hoists the boy onto the saddle. Mio explains that he doesn’t know how to ride. Now, obviously the King does the responsible thing and starts giving him lessons, right?

“Oh, Mio, you will find that you can do anything, as long as you have the courage to try.”

…King, you’re a terrible parent. You know what, let’s keep a running list of bad parenting from the King, starting now:

-Irresponsibly leaving kingdom behind to go visit earth and screw Earthling women.
-Impregnates at least one Earthling woman and skips town.
-Keeps tabs on his son, but never once intervenes after the mother dies and just leaves him to be abused until he comes looking for him.
-Puts boy on horse’s saddle and sends him off without a single riding lesson.

So Mio somehow manages to ride Miramas to the end of a stone road and back to the King without losing control, despite not knowing how to use the reins.

As the King lowers Mio to the ground from the saddle, Mio wishes that his friend Benke could be here to see this. The King asks who that is, and Mio starts to explain, but they are interrupted by the arrival of Yum-Yum (Bale in the second of two roles in this film). Mio runs over him, happily thinking that Benke has somehow followed him to The Land of Faraway, but Yum-Yum corrects, stating that he’s the son of the castle gardener.
Trivia: the movie poster actually featured Mio and Benke on the cover in modern streets clothes with the tagline: "Two friends, thousands of miles from one, on an epic adventure."

So, let me get this straight. Benke had the perfect dad back on earth, as well as a decent household when Mio had nothing. And Mio is now frikkin royalty and his dad is a man who looks exactly like Benke’s father, and a boy who looks and acts just like Benke is here as his servant. This is starting to sound more and more like a Self-Insert Fanfiction. And I know what you’re thinking, and the answer is no. This does not turn out to be a dream at the end. Either Mio is the latest incarnation of Haruhi Suzumiya, or he’s entered a land that changes to fit the every whim of Earthlings that dwell there.

Anyway, Yum-Yum gushes about how lucky Mio is have Miramas as his horse. Miramas being the finest horse in the land. Mio asks if he wants to ride, too, and Yum-Yum asks, “Would I!”

The film jumps to them riding on Miramas’s back through the countryside.

King’s Bad Parenting:

-Irresponsibly leaving kingdom behind to go visit earth and screw Earthling women.
-Keeps tabs on his son, but never once intervenes after the mother dies and just leaves him to be abused until he comes looking for him.
-Lets untrained son take a passenger with him.

The boy ride through the country until they meet up with some other children. Mio starts to introduce himself, but the kids cut him off, saying they know he’s the young prince come home. They are gathered around a well, and the youngest girl asks if it’s time yet. The older boy tells her, “Not yet.”

Mio asks what is going on and why the well doesn’t have a bucket. They answer that this is a “Whispering Well”. One of the girls gives Mio a real creepy smile that I guess was supposed to be her having a crush on him, but it comes off more as “I will enjoy chopping you up and cooking you later”.

Oh, yeah, and Christian Bale has an utterly bored and unimpressed look as this scene plays, as if he realizes just how bad a movie he’s picked to be his feature length debut. I mean, the other kids at least try to feign enthusiasm and some look like they’re having fun, but Bale is just this “Oh God, what am I doing here” look on his face the whole time while Mio talks with them. It also doesn’t help that Yum-Yum doesn’t have any lines in this scene, pretty giving him nothing to do but just stand there staring at a well. At one point, he just kind of plops down on it with an “alrighty then” look on his face.

The kids are interrupted by the sounds of a flute being played in the distance and the camera pans over an open field until we see a little shepherd boy guiding some sheep along, apparently hypnotizing with his music.

Needless to say, the sheep aren’t actually hypnotized in any way, but the film still tries to pass it off like they are. That said, the child actor playing Shepherd Boy actually keeps pretty good control of the sheep and keeps them bunched together while herding them up closer to the camera. As in, on a competency level I’d actually expect from someone who has been raised around sheep, so I think it’s safe to say that the casting directors included this as part of the call: “Wanting Child Actors ages 10-13. At least one of them must know how to herd sheep.”

Shepherd Boy also knows who Mio is upon seeing him, much to Mio’s surprise. Anyway, Shepherd Boy introduces himself as “No-No”. Yes, really. Anyway, Mio asks to learn how to play that flute of his, and thankfully No-No comes prepared and produces two extra flutes from his belt. He explains that they belonged to his two brothers, but “they will not be needing them anyway.” …*Cough* Awkward.

The actor then pulls off a fairly convincing solemn sigh while staring at the flutes. He shakes it off and starts showing Mio and Yum-Yum how to play, despite the latter not asking to be shown, but hey, at least he finally has something to do other than just stand there watching other people exchange dialogue and act. Then the three proceed to play their flutes completely out of sync with each other to the point of annoyance.

Mio narrates that the skill of flute playing has been passed down through the shepherd’s family.

Anyway, a girl carrying a tray of bread and water comes out of a nearby house and sets it on the edge of the well. The other kids gather around and she gives out the bread. Mio comments that it’s the best he’s ever tasted. “It’s the bread that satisfies all hunger,” she explains. Hmm. That’s a bit of mouthful. How about calling it Lembas Bread? He gives Mio a whole loaf, stating that he’s going to need it. We suddenly hear a whispering sound start to pick and “its time” to listen to the chatterbox well now.

The kids gather around the well’s edge, and Mio is instructed to remain perfectly quiet as it begins talking:

“Once upon a time, there lived an evil and cruel knight in the blackest and grimmest of castles. He was so evil that he carried off all the children that lived in the nearby countryside.”

It still too soon to make Michael Jackson joke? Anyway, we see a figure dressed in black robes riding upon a black horse. On his left hand is a metal claw that looks a lot like Dr. Claw’s…claw. Three guesses as to who plays this evil knight.

“And his guards and spies all had hearts of the hardest stone. And for thousands and thousands of years, people lived in terror of the evil knight. Those children that refused to serve him were turned into birds, doomed to circle above his castle until the day when all that was left of his castle was a while of stones. Then one day, a son of royal blood came. He was accompanied by a single companion, and he rode on a beauty white horse through the Forest of Mysteries.”

Faery Tale Cliche #31K: Bad man, oppresses citizens. Go kill!

Then we abruptly cut back to the castle. Mio enters the throne room, and approaches his father. He asks where the Forest of Mysteries is. King asks why he wants to know. Mio explains his intent, and the King just utters, “So soon” in a sad tone. Mio asks if he would rather he didn’t go, but the King says no, and tells him to go, but first he must know a few things. One of which is “The Land Outside”. Such original names in this land. It lies beyond the Forest of Mysteries. Mio asks who lives there, and the King answers, “Kato, the Evil Knight.”

Upon mentioning of the evil knight’s true name the skies darkens, the sun is blotted out, a powerful gust of forcefully opens several doors and takes some window frames off their hinges while the world quakes for just an instant. And then the world returns to normal afterwards. Dude! Even mentioning Voldemort’s name didn’t get that kind of reaction! The King holds Mio close to him when this happens, and confesses that he would rather Mio didn’t go, but the thought of Kato being allowed to continue his reign of evil hurts him more.

Then Mio dishes out this wonderful line of philosophy: “Then, if thinking of him hurts you so, then don’t think of him.” Truly an inspiration to us all. He then asks his father not to be sad about this parting, and the King promises. They embrace once more and Mio is on his way, making his own promise to return as soon as he can.

Now, since Kato has been around for thousands of years... So, King, how come you didn’t take a single companion on a white horse through the Forest of Mysteries to defeat him when you were a kid. Did you seriously only bring Mio here to get rid of Kato so you wouldn't have to or what?

The King’s Bad Parenting:
-Lets untrained son take a passenger with him.
-Chickens out and pushes reponsibility for killing the Big Bad onto his son.

So, without a weapon or supplies, Mio sets off, but first stops by the garden and tells Yum-Yum what he’s up to. He’s going to ride through the Forest of Mysteries when the moon is up, instead of at the beginning of a new day. Why? I have no idea. Must be a quest thing. Anyway, Yum-Yum decides to go to and he’s actually come with supplies. Blankets and Lembas Bread.

So let me get this straight:

A young orphan.

He just came into a substantial inheritance.

Sets out on a quest to rid the world of evil:

WITH HIS GARDENER!!!

On Shadowfax’s back.

Did the people who made this movie not think we’d catch these?

So the two set of on Miramas’s back across the land again at midday, instead of at night. Eventually, they come to an obvious Matte Painting…er, bridge. Yum-Yum explains that the King’s guards pull the bridge up at night to keep anyone from crossing into Green Meadow Island. Then Mio asks why they’d do that and who lives on the other side. Um, the evil knight that both a talking well and your father just told you about, moron? Sadly, Yum-Yum decides to justify that with a polite answer and once he says Kato’s name again, the same thing that happened before makes reprisal. Voldemort would kill for publicity like that.

And, despite it being daytime, the guards are already pulling the bridge up, so Mio bids Miramas book it and the horse races across the raising bridge and manages to make a poorly shot death defying leap across the bridge. In fact, we never even see him make the jump. The camera is up close to the two riders pretending that they’re making a death defying leap intercut with a couple of shots of the horse's legs leaving the ground in what are obviously smaller leaps.

Once on the other side, Mio exclaims that he had no idea Miramas could do that, and then Yum-Yum, in the snarkiest tone imaginable, replies: “There’s still so much you don’t know, Mio.” Yeah, there’s little-to-no doubt that that was just Bale being smart-alecky.

And thus, the two are soon in the Forest of Mysteries.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I just realized that none of my readers have any kind of visual guide to this movie, well maybe the VHS cover of the movie will help:

Alas, no it doesn't. Here are some stills from the movie I was able to get from the tape.

Our star, Mio:

Christian Bale as Yum-Yum:

The King, Mio's Nameless, Negligent, and Non-Descript father:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/auteurs_production....jpg?1302332143 Because I couldn't get the screen cap for the King to work for some reason.

Christopher Lee looking pretty silly as our villain:

The original poster for the movie:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
so are you still doing this story WR?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yes, I've been tied up at the moment.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ok, no hurry.  You get very busy at times, as many folks do.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
The film fades to stock footage of the moon overhead before cutting back to our two heroes as they ride through the cover of blue filter night. Painfully obvious blue filter at that. Mio°¶s cloak rips of a tree branch, leaving a part of it behind. Huh, I wonder if they°¶ll be tracked later. They hear the odd sound of an off-ton bird that°¶s probably a synthesized sound effect, and a danged good one at that. It makes a miserable sound of a song that°¶s off-putting to listen to. The boys look around while listening to it.

The dynamic duo come to cottage in the middle of the forest. They decide to check it out and ride up. They go in without knocking on the door. They°¶re met with The Weaver Woman, played by Susanna York. She°¶s sitting at a work station for weaving by the house°¶s window. She speaks to them in a dry tone:

Mio and Yum-Yum, what's kept you do long?

She glances over at the two boys standing in her doorway both wearing humorous "buh?" expression. She tells them to come on in and that she°¶s waited a long time for °ßa prince and his faithful companion°®. Mio is the first to approach and asks:

Why do you sit there at night...weaving?

Eh? How do you know what she does at night? For all you know, kid, she frequents a nearby night club and gets jiggy with it at least four times a week. Besides, it°¶s pretty obvious that those are weaving and knitting tools. So, I don°¶t know, maybe she°¶s°Kworking? As for why? Uh, she°¶s a weaver?

Or in the case of this Weaver, her job is being a "Professional Asskicker®.

Anyway, Mio, being Captain Obvious beside, she actually dignifies this with a proper response while Yum-Yum looks bored watching them. She explains that she weaving can only be done at night, "the tapestry of fairy tales and the weaving of dreams". ...Okay. She points out that Mio°¶s cloak is torn and asks if he wants it repaired. He hands her the cloak and then, as stiffly and monotonously as he can, asks why the depressing bird sings like that.

"It's the rare Emo Sparrow." Okay, not really, but a comedically depressing bird would be hilarious. Actually, it's the "Bird of Grief", and it sings for the Weaver Woman's child. Mio, then, reminds the audience of how stupid he is by asking what's befallen her daughter.

Weaver Woman (no, seriously, she's given no other name) answers that her daughter has been taken away.
And because that obviously didn't give him enough of a clue, Mio then asks "By who"?

This kid could give Forgetful Jones a run for his money! Anyway, he stops her before he can answer with all the conviction of someone under heavy sedation, stating that he already knows and never wants to hear that horrible name again. Then he proceeds to away and repeatedly speak Kato's name. And yes, Kato's Trademark Earth-Shaking and the moon turns freaking black(!!).

Mio then goes into a full on, but short soliloquy (!!) directed at the audience while Christian Bale leans against the window frame staring at the ceiling like he's baked and the Weaver Woman...weaves. Yep, no more voice over narrating. Now they°¶re just breaking the fourth wall for no reason:

"It was Kato! Kato. Every time I heard that awful name, I felt so afraid, and didn°¶t know what I was supposed to do."

He then leaves the cottage while the other two apparently ignore his psychotic episode. By the way, this is one and only time the film does this. Why? I have no idea. Maybe in the original cut he was turning to the audience like Zack from Saved by the Bell all the time and then it just got cut save for this one scene.

The film then cuts to Mio crying very unconvincingly while listening to the Bird of Grief. He's doing a poor job of it as compared to before when he was knocked around by the bullies back on Earth (this is why I think they actually did rough him up and that the crying before wasn't a part of the act). Mio then narrates (voice over again) that listening to the Bird of Grief (so, an actually Emo Bird, then?) that something funny happened inside him. EW!

He goes back inside to see Christian Bale as Yum-Yum sitting dejectedly in front of the fire, wondering when it'll be his turn to get a line. Mio then restates the obvious "I', going to the Land Outside", and Yum-Yum replies with what the entire audience is saying: "We know." Mio asks him how everyone knows and Yum-Yum explains the painfully obvious, that this whole blasted thing has been foretold and everyone's already been told. All the time he's wearing the expression of an actor who can't believe he's delivering these lines and can't believe how stupid the star of the movie is.

And just when you think Mio's idiocy can't get anymore jaw-dropping, he manages to top himself by if the King knew. Yum-Yum, instead of slapping him on the head like anyone else would have by now, replies "He's always known." So, Mio"s father knew that he was going to go off into danger and didn't come and get him to prepare him for this day. So, adding to the list of The King of the Land of Faraway's Bad Parenting:

* Irresponsibly leaving kingdom behind to go visit earth and screw Earthling women.
* Impregnates Earthling woman and skips town.
* Keeps tabs on his son, but never once intervenes after the mother dies and just leaves him to be abused until he comes looking for him.
* Puts boy on horse's saddle and sends him off without a single riding lesson.
* Lets untrained son take a passenger with him.
* Chickens out and pushes responsibility for killing the Big Bad onto his son.
* Lets under-prepared and untrained son go fight ultimate evil.
* Always knew his son was going to go off to fight the ancient evil and didn°¶t go get him to train for this!

Dude, Steven Spielberg would kill for a neglectful father for like you to put in one of his movies. Forget Indie's dad, Peter Panning, whoever the hell let Lex and Tim to go Jurassic Park, Ian Malcoln, and Tom Cruise from War of the Worlds! This guy has them all topped! He's no better than Aunt Edna and Uncle Sixton! He's just better at hiding his abusive nature under a pleasant smile!

It's good to be the king. Douche.

Anyway, the boys argue over what's already been decided (Mio spontaneously deciding to Yum-Yum behind and the latter having none of it). However, we do learn something of note.

Yum-Yum: "The legend says a child of royal blood and single companion. That was predicted thousands of years ago.°"

I will remind you that Kato has been in business that entire time, and since there's a king in The Land of Faraway right now, that means he was once a boy of royal blood. See, I wasn't kidding when I claimed he just wussed out and pushed all this on Mio. Hell, that's probably why he ran away to Earth! This movie tries to make him look like a wonderful father, but it fails, on every conceivable level, at making him one. Honestly, I'd just go back to Earth and stick it out with Aunt Edna and Uncle Sixton.

Anyway, Yum-Yum's half-hearted speech brings non-existent tears for the actor playing Mio to pretend to wipe away. The Weaver calls to Mio about his cloak and holds it up, and it glows like the Jor-El's robes from the beginning of Richard Donner's Superman: The Movie. She wraps him in it and fastens the bindings, claiming that:

"This is the finest fabric I've ever woven, and I give it to the one who will rescue my daughter, Billy Bonnie."

So, wait, Billy the Kid was a girl? Okay, I'm kidding about the girl's name, but that's what it sounds like. I listened to the weaver woman say her name a dozen times and can't come any closer.

Mio asks Yum-Yun if they're ready to go. Yum-Yum then looks around and shrugs, as if to say "What? Are we carrying more gear along or something°", and then says yes. I'm convinced that that was just Christian Bale being a Smart Alec again. We cut back to the boys riding along, and Mio narrates (yes, voice over) about how they're going to do with the evil knight, Kato. Considering you're both 10-12 and unarmed, I'd love to see that.

While walking through a  canyon, Miramas suddenly stops and the boy looks around in awe, well Christian Bale as Yum-Yum manages an awed look, anyway. Yum-Yum announces that they've reached the Land Outside. ...You two don't even have map. The get past the canyon and find themselves on a high bluff overlooking the landscape. Mio tries for another look of awe and mutters, "Kato's Castle". We then cut to a painfully obvious Matte Painting off a dark landscape, and Kato's Castle does not look the same as it did before. It's not the real European castle they use as the location in other scenes. The castle in this one shot looks like a little manor house and barely is a speck on the map. Good Lord, we're heading into Bakshi levels of incompetence here!

Yum-Yum comments that Mio'll need a sword. Oh, NOW YOU THINK OF THAT! Getting a sword and you know, learning how to use it would have been the first thing I'd have done the instant I learned that I was destined to go on an epic que°K Well, okay, that's not true. The real first thing I'd have tried would be skipping town. ...Shut up, my point still stands.