The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My Little Pony Chronicles.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Yo, this a MLP fanfic I decided to work a long time ago. I actually started on it March of last year, but I never posted here or let anone aside from Kor or Nick even know it existed. It's been completed for a while now, I'm more comfortable putting on here now that I've worked the kinks out of it.

Alright, this is not a Friendship is Magic fanfic. Those have a surplus right now. Instead, I decided to take a look at the old cartoons and see if I couldn't write something about them. Well, I took a look at them, and thought the stories had promise, but they weren't that good. So this is my attempt to try to really make something grand out of the 80s setting. So here we go.

Story Information:

My Little Pony Chronicles:

Disclaimer: I don't own any My Little Pony intellectual properties. You can sue me Hasbro, but you can only squeeze so much from one Wal-Mart shelf stacker.

Author's Notes: starting with Rescue from Midnight Castle and going all the way to the end and beyond. Basically, I'm going to tie all the ponies together. For examples, we're going to have ponies from the Rescue from Midnight Castle bunch in with members of the Escape from Catrina and TV show groups, so we'll have Firefly conversing with Wind Whistler and Sundance hanging with Shady so on and so forth.

Also, I'm reworking some of the mechanics of how Ponyland works. For one thing, I'm doing away with the name Ponyland and it will be called Eoland. "Eo" is an old word for "horse", which Tolkien used for the names of a couple of his characters, Eomer and Eowyn. Yeah, yeah, that means it's still technically named "horseland", but Eoland still sounds better than Ponyland in my opinion.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
My Little Pony Chronicles:

Disclaimer: Nope. Still don't own any Hasbro properties.

Chapter One:

A Shadow stirs

March 21st

Knock, knock, knock. The sounds of a knocker against a large, wooden door banged loud and clear.

"Enter."

The portal creaked and moaned as it was pushed open, revealing a goat-like humanoid figure that strode into the chamber. He took low, long strides down the dark carpet and then bowed before the throne. He head was lowered, something which he was thankful for, since it hid his contempt for the ruler he kneeled before.

"My forces have prepared and are ready to head out… …master."

"Very Good, Scorpan. Then launch at once. You know your orders?"

"Yes… master. My mission is to retrieve four specimens from among the Pastel Ponies of Dream Valley by the midnight of the Summer Solstice."

"Good. Now go."

"Yes… master."

With that, goatman stood, turned, and started to leave the throne room.

"Scorpan."

"Yes… master?"

"Aren't you forgetting something?"

The goatman clenched his fists for an instant, before kneeling down on a knee and bowing low before the figure sitting upon the throne again.

"Very good, now you may leave."

"Yes… master."

This time Scorpan was actually allowed to leave. The guards closed the door in his wake. After he had left, his 'master's' lips curled up in a smirk and a chuckle rumbled up from his throat.

"Hey, Scorpan! Can I come! Can I?"

"No, Spike. Not this time."

"Why not? How dangerous can getting a few Pastels be?"

"It is not that, Spike. It is… I just do not wish for you to be there. I do not want you to see this."

"Aw, but Scorpan…"

"No buts, Spike."

"…Yes, Scorpan.

"I will return."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, far, far to the South-West, across the Hellspire Mountains, across Crystal Desert, across the open plains, the Goblin's Forest, meadows, and some grassland, there lied Dream Valley, home to the Pastel Ponies. They lived in Dream Castle, their home in the valley.

The drawbridge of the castle opened and out galloped a crowd's worth of them. Spring was here and the snow was gone.

"I'm off to play volleyball," Gusty called.

"I'm going, too," Fizzy added.

"Thirded,' Firefly piped in. "But first for the double inside out loop."

"Not again," muttered Galaxy.

"Ahem," Wind whistler cut on. "Magic Star was something to say to you all."

"Huh," Came a collective reply.

"Thank you, Wind Whistler. Now, listen, all of you. We have to prepare for the Spring Dawning Festival. I've put together a little list of things we need to do to get ready, and divided you up into teams to get them done."

Using her horn's power, Magic Star held up several scrolls she had scribed, which she did also using her powers.

"Aw, man," came several complaints.

"Now, now, you have all of Spring and Summer to play, but for now, we have tradition to hold up."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, just tell us what we have to do," Gusty said, impatiently.

"Get with it, man. I'll have it done in a jiff," Firefly bragged.

"Very well," Magic Star replied. "These are the teams: Wind Whistler and Paradise will get the supplies for making the banner, and make it and set it up. Cupcake, Galaxy, Truly, Lickitysplit, Jerries Jubley, and Cotton Candy will get the food ready for tomorrow. Applejack, Firefly, Medley, Twilight, Bowtie, and Whizzer, will set up the tables. Gusty, Fizzy, Lofty, Shady, Parasol, and Moondancer will set up the games. Surprise, Heartthrob, Buttons, and myself will set up the fireworks. Here is a special note to Surprise. You will not actually be setting off any fireworks this year due to what happened the last time you did. Everyone else not given a job is on standby in case someone needs an extra hoof."

Collective groans broke at the memory of last year's near massacre.

"What," Surprise asked, indignantly. "I just added a few touches of my own. That wasn't my fault."

"Yes, it was. You overloaded the stand and it tipped over…at us," Lickitysplit shot back.

"I didn't think my beautiful tail would ever grow back," Heart Throb added.

"…Or my apple orchards," Applejack put in.

"I thought I would spend the rest of my life in the medical ward after being burned so bad," Medley shuddered.

"Heh heh, point taken."

Gusty drew her team's scroll over to her with her unicorn power and opened it, reading the contents.

"Ah, man, did this list just get longer since last year. This'll take forever. Well, come on, guys, and might as well just get it done."

"What, oh this isn't so bad," Moondancer replied. "You're just exaggerating as usual, Gusty."

The ponies split off into their respective groups and got to work immediately.

"Hey, surprise, you okay," Firefly asked, observing a pouting Surprise.

"Yeah, I just kinda wanted to set off the fireworks again this year."

"Sorry, but a good charring and burning of everypony here will get ya hoofed. Well, I've got tables to set up. Seeya!"

"You could just ask for a second shot," Buttons suggested.

"Nah, I'm good. It's okay," Surprise replied. "Anyway, let's get to it! I wanna party! Party like its 1990!"

"Yeah, sure. 1990. Whatever.," Gusty shrugged. "Just don't have a cow when it takes forever, man."

So, the ponies went about their work, completely unaware to the approaching danger. Alas, the coming woes were shared by many. As lands far to the West, across the western mountains already knew what it was to fear Tirac. This lordship was called Dongard, a land under fire by the forces of Tirac.

In the throne room of the Castle Dongard, its lord David Giantsbane listened as his subjects gave their testimony of the invasion closely and with intent. David was a tall and broad shouldered man with reddish-brown hair that was showing signs of gray around the edges. His sharp green eyes displayed a high level of intelligent, augmented by his sharp features. He also wore the colors of his family, pale green, and his shoulders, their emblem, the triple Phoenix.

To his side, were his sons, Bernhard and Frederick. Both greatly resembled their father, both in appearances and current expressions, which were grim as they all listened. The main difference between brothers was their build. Bernard was more muscular, and Frederick more slight.

"Milord, Tirac's Dragon Men have invaded our borders from the North-West," said a burn, starved, and tired farmer. "They came in the dead of night. They… They killed everyone…"

With that, the farmer began to lose conscious. He had fled straight to the castle from the attack and was dead on his feet. He had delivered the dire news and then passed out. With a gesture, the man was carted off to have his wounds tended to.

"Milord," a guard said.

David stroked his beard with his hand as a thought.

"I will take a battalion of men to the Northwest border of the land and attempt to drive them off. My son, Bernard, you will lead the people in my stead."

"But father…"

"No buts, Bernard. I'm not getting any younger, and will someday be gone. You must lead our people if I do not return. To arms, my men!"

Bernard looked like he was still going to protest until David gave him a stern look. The younger man stuttered for an instant, but finally resigning and simply nodding. David nodded back and marched forth to army up with his troops

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Perhaps your son was fight, milord. A young, strong commander would be a good for morale. After all, he spearheaded the previous Northern campaign just fine," said David's advisor.

"It's different this time. Tirac's forces did not hit us nearly as hard or ruthlessly then. Something is different. Tirac has always been a tyrant, but he has been even worse lately for some reason. I could not bear to send one of my sons out now."

"Very well, milord. If Tirac is intent on enslaving our people, there is a very good chance you will not return. You know this."

David sighed deeply as he pulled on a gauntlet.

"I know, Gilbert. I know. But there comes a time when your time has come. The only difference is being willing to step up."

Gilbert bowed his head respectfully.

"Gilbert, if I do not return…"

"I'll look after them both, milord."

"Thank you."

Bernard and Frederick watched as their met the troops out to lead Tirac's forces from the battlement.

"That should be me," Bernard muttered. "Dongard needs its lord right now, and I am the younger and more fit warrior."

"Dongard needs a lord. You are the heir, brother. If anything happens to father, you will lead our people. They will follow you. I will follow you," Frederick responded seriously.

Bernard met his brother's gaze.

"Ay. I know. I still don't have to like it."

Frederick patted his brother on the shoulder then headed back into the castle.

"Megan," Frederick called to the servant girl. "You could go fetch the Criers. We will need to inform the people that Tirac was come to our land at last."

"Oh yes, milord," the blonde girl bowed and was off at once. "I will return with them at once."

"Very good," Frederick nodded his acknowledgement.

Back with the ponies of Dream Castle, they were nearing completion of their preparations for the Spring Dawning Festival. All was going well, until attention turned to a sudden outburst from Gusty.

"Parasol, you dunderhead! We all told you to be careful while you did that," a paint-covered Gusty hollered up to a guilty-looking Parasol.

"Sorry," Parasol called down from her position at the top of the latter.

She had been helping to paint a pavilion when she accidentally dropped the paints on Gusty's head.

"Yeah, whatever, just be more careful next time, you klutz," the white unicorn huffed before stalking off to wash off.

"Sorry," Parasol called back again. "Really."

Either the grumbling unicorn did not hear or didn't acknowledge. Either way, she has likely to be in a bad mood for the rest of the day.

"Done and done," Paradise chimed.

The banner her and Wind Whistler had started work on was complete. "Spring Dawning Festival" was written in grass green, symbolizing the new Spring.

"It should suffice. While I consider it practical enough, I think the others might want some…" Wind Whistler started. "Perhaps, decorative imagery like tree with fresh leaves."

"You don't think they'll like it?"

"I think it's just fine, Paradise. I'm saying the other might want to be more festival."

"Yeah, you're right. I can paint the images. You don't paint much do you, though, Whistler?"

"Sorry, but I am not practiced in the artform."

"Alright, you can help set up tables while I put on some finishing touches, then."

"Would that really be alright to make you work on it alone?"

"Oh sure! I've got this. I'll call when it's time to set it up, Whistler."

"If you insist. You will know where to locate me if you require any assistance."

"Magic Star! Magic Star," Medley called while carrying an envelope in her teeth. "This just arrived by Pegasus Mail."

"Hmm? What is it, Medley?"

"Bad news, our entertainment cancelled on us. He won't be coming by. We'll have to find a replacement."

"Nightshade cancelled on us," Magic Star gasped, dropping the matches on the ground. "Why?"

"It's all here," Medley replied, setting the envelope down.

Using her telekinetic power to open it up and pull the letter out.

"Previous engagement; bigger audience awaiting…" Magic Star read aloud.

After reading the entire thing, she sighed.

"Alright, we'll just a replacement, but who can we get on short notice? We already set up the stage," Magic Star wondered.

"We could just ensemble our more musically inclined together to sing something," Medley suggested.

"It'll have to do. Get Masquerade to handle it. Theatricality is her domain, anyway."

"Right."

With that, Medley was off.

"And try to keep it under wraps that Nightshade's not coming. I'll…"

"WHAT?" come hollers from all over.

"Nevermind," Magic Star muttered.

As the sun was setting down, the preparations were done at last.

"Yeah. Yeah, we did pretty good," Lickitysplit said while looking around and nodding approvingly.

"Do I still have paint in my mane," Gusty asked turning her head from side as Twilight gave it a good, long look.

"Not that I can see."

Parasol laughed guiltily.

"Good work, everyone," Magic Star. "We finished on time. We'll be able to hold the festival in the morning this year. Now everyone's free to spend the rest of today as they see fit. Dismissed."

With that, the ponies dispersed. Some went back into the castle to rest up, while other more rambunctious ones still remained outside.

"Let's go, guys," Bowtie called, leading a mob towards the lake.

"Wait for me. I'm coming, too," Ember ran after them.

"Hold on, wait up, Ember," Twilight dashed after the impetuous foal.

Bowtie leapt off a ledge at the narrow part of the lake and landed on the opposite bank. While Gusty and Fizzy had donned some roller-skates and followed after.

"I'm going for the inside out double inside out loop, Medley," Firefly told her friend as she flew off.

"No, wait. It's too dangerous Firefly."

"Danger's my life, Medley," Firefly called back and started flying loops through the air while dangerously close to the ground.

Ember galloped as fast as she could towards the same ledge that Bowtie, Gusty, and Fizzy was previously gone over.

'I'm gonna make it! I'm gonna make it. I'm just like the big ponies.'

"Whoa. Hold it right there," Twilight said, leaping into her path.

"Aw, I would have made it," Ember said, slowing stop.

"Oh, really?"

"Well, maybe."

"Uh-huh, well, daredevil little foals go play inside," Twilight said, nudging Ember in the direction of Dream Castle.

"And done," Applejack bucked the lat of the apples out of the tree. "Now we have enough for apple pie, apple fritters, apple dumplings, apple…"

"Watch out!"

"Apple watch out?"

CRASH!

"Apple sauce," Applejack finished, while facedown under Firefly with crushed apples surrounding the two.

"Oh, sorry. Were these the apples for the festival tomorrow, Applejack," Firefly nervously asked.

"No, I was just going to eat them all, myself. Now get off me."

"Heh heh," Firefly said, jumping off the yellow and tan earth pony.

Applejack got up and looked around. Her ears fell when she saw the collision left no fruit uncrushed and that she'd have to start over to get her stand ready for tomorrow.

"Hey, Firefly, I don't suppose you'd help gather some more apples… Firefly?"

The earth pony took notice that her friend was staring into the distance very intently.

"Firefly?"

"What are those?"

Applejack followed Firefly's gaze and noticed dozens of tiny figures on the horizon, flying in their direction.

"Hey, everypony! Take a look at that," Applejack shouted, pointing at the approaching things in the sky.

"Hmm?" Every one of the ponies turned their attentions to the coming specks.

"Gosh. What are those," Fizzy asked.

"…I don't like this," Gusty stated, starting to back up towards Dream Castle.

"Hey, everypony. Let's head back, just in case," Bowtie said, also starting back towards their home.

"What are those," Firefly muttered again.

She took off and headed in their direction.

"No! Stop! Firefly, don't go," Medley called after her friend, before reluctantly following after to assure her safety.

Medley pumped her wings hard, but Firefly was just too fast and had disappeared into the distance, only to reappear again.

"Firefly?"

"Dragonriders! Everypony run or fly for it," Firefly shouted zipping past Medley.

By this point, the things were close enough for Medley to identify them. Indeed, they were dragons. She turned tail and flew after Firefly, having no better luck than before of keeping up with her.

"There they are, men. Take what you need, but leave the rest unharmed," Scorpan ordered, and then reigned in his steed.

With a simple gesture, he ushered the others into a V-formation as they descended upon the fleeing ponies. With another, they dived down talons first, ready to grab some Pastels. One dove at Bowtie, who leapt out of the way and bucked him good in the head. This sent the dragon and rider off course just enough that they crashed into the ground. The rider screamed as the dragon rolled over on him, crushing him.

"Be ready to pull the gate shut as soon as they're in," Magic Star ordered.

Her and the other unicorns readies to use their power to turn the wheels that would pull the drawbridge shut. Already their magic gripped the mechanism.

"Oh, no. Gusty, look out," Parasol called.

"Huh," Gusty looked over her shoulder to see an approaching dragon.

"Heh, here's gust in your eye," she said causing the wind around the dragon's wings to veer it off course and into some trees.

But another dived down and grabbed her in its talons. However, it didn't aim the dive perfectly and had to set down with one foot before starting to take off again. This mistake gave Parasol just enough time to dash out into the open and buck it in the face. It released Gusty, but grabbed Parasol instead and took off into the sky.

"Ah! Help," Fizzy shouted, getting grabbed as well.

Before any other ponies could be nabbed, the rest had entered the castle and drew the bridge shut.

"Sir, the ponies have all retreated into the castle. What are your orders, commander?"

"You two. Take those ponies you've already captured back to Midnight Castle. The rest of us will wait. All good things come to those who wait."

"Sir," the riders bearing Parasol and Fizzy saluted before heading back.

"Whew. That was close. Is anyone else missing?"

"Not as far as I can tell."

"I'm here."

"Here."

"Yeah, yeah."

"Wait! Where's Firefly," Medley asked, looking around frantically.

"Didn't she come in with the rest of us," Bowtie asked.

"No! She was ahead of me. She should be right here," Medley galloped around looking everywhere.

"Everyone, look for her, now," Magic Star ordered.

"Firefly! Firefly, where are you?"

"She's out there. Look," Bowtie shouted.

She pointed out the window she stood at as the small purple speck disappeared into the distance.

"I've got to get help," Firefly thought, determined.

She headed west, towards the kingdom she had seen from a distance while exploring once before.

"Someone there will help us. I hope."

To be continued…

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
My Little Pony

Chronicles:

Disclaimer: Considering how doubtful it is that I could ever have come up with something as brilliant as "Friendship is Magic", you should be happy I don't own any rights to MLP.

Thanks, Wild!

Chapter Two:

Firefly's Journey

It was nightfall in Dongard. In fact, it was a rather peaceful one at that. A slight breeze chilled the air as crickets played their melodies, breaking empty silence. It was almost deceptively peaceful. You wouldn't think this land was on the brink of invasion and disaster on such a night.

"Good night, dearie. You head straight home now, you hear. You never know when Tirac's hordes will come," an elderly maid said to the girl, Megan.

"Oh, Trell, I'll be just fine, but yes, I am heading straight home. See you tomorrow," the girl waved goodbye.

"Ai, see you, Meg."

The girl hummed as she walked through the stone streets of the Castle Town. A few pedestrians still did business at the hour, while others ran errands, or dabbled in seedier work that the law would catch during the day. Along the way, she stopped and bought some bread and cheese with her weekly pay. She loaded it into her basket, she went on her way, waving goodbye to the grocer.

Finally, her path led her away from the Castle Town and across the drawbridge. Many others, who did not actually live in town but simply worked there, left in cluttered crowds which Megan was among. The drawbridge closed behind, and would not be lowered again until tomorrow when the workers arrived to go to their jobs. She took to a trail leading off the main road, towards her family's little ranch. They were a family of five. Her parents, herself, her younger brother, Daniel, and the youngest of the three children: Mary.

Her father, brother, and mother tended the farm by day while she worked as maid and assistant to Lord Frederick, the younger of David's two sons. She took the job out of necessity, as work as a lord's maid guarantee a weekly payment for the family to help put some weight in their purses.

Megan stopped in her tracks and gazed out onto the peaceful landscape. It pained her to think about it, but soon it could very well be burned black with the fires of war if Tirac's forces managed to defeat Lord David at the front lines.

Her thoughts turned to Frederick. Unlike his father and brother, he was not a great warrior and not an overly proud individual. He was more of a thinking man, scholar, tactician, and a decent warrior. Yet he did not see his own strengths, thinking himself useless next to David and Bernard.

After a bit, Megan shook away her thoughts and realized she had let herself get lost in them, and quickened pace towards home. Before long, the little path led her over a hill, and at last the humble ranch was visible. A lantern hung at the door, lighting the way home.

Once she reached the entrance, she took down the light and entered the abode after dousing it. She stood for a second just inside the door, letting her eyes adjust to the darkness. Before her was the kitchen area and opposite, the beds. One bed for her parents and three little cots for her and her siblings were along the back wall.

She set the lantern down and readied herself for bed.

'Lord David. Please stop Tirac at the front,' she silently prayed before pulling the sheets up and laying her head on her pillow.

'Good night, everyone.'

With that, she closed her eyes and went to sleep.

"Milord, should you not get some sleep? Tomorrow will be very busy for both you and Lord Bernard," the Chief Librarian said.

"Not yet, Andrew," Frederick answered. "There has to be something in these records. There must be something about Tirac and his armies that we have missed."

Andrew sighed and resigned himself to helping the young lord search through old records of Tirac's other conquests though the decades.

"Is it not enough to know that he has been undefeated ever since his reign began?"

"No, Andrew. No one can win every war they start like Tirac has done for seventy years now. He must have some secret to his success. These texts may have the answer."

"The secret of his success is that eldritch power he possesses, milord. Whenever his armies are not enough to handle things, he, himself, will appear to lead the charge in the dead of night and wield a weapon made of pure Darkness that smites all his foes. No one knows the true nature of this power, nor its name. Hence why none can counter it."

"I know that! There must be some kind of sense, some kind of pattern we can discover. Some weakness we can exploit. No one of this earth is invincible. Everyone has a weakness. Everyone can be defeated."

"In all due respect, milord, minds far greater than yours' have tried their luck in outwitting him before as well, yet he remains and they have been buried."

The book Frederick was reading snapped shut as the now irate noble leapt from his chair.

"And what would you have us do, Andrew? Just give up? Let him have our lands to do with as he pleases?"

"I meant no disrespect, milord. T'is just…" The librarian started to speak, but found himself having difficulty.

"I know, Andrew. You are not of Dongardian birth."

"…Yes, milord. As you know, I came from the kingdom of Glensdale from the far East. Alas, it has long been reduced to rubble and a barren wasteland by the Dark Lord Tirac after he was through with it. I have seen my homeland and other lands all fall to him in my lifetime, milord. Nothing short of a miracle is going to stop Tirac."

"Well, I am not giving up. There has to be a way. There has to be!"

Frederick returned to studying the methods of their enemy, but this time, also pulled out books about magical items, weapons, relics, and books about miracles from the shelf and set them to one side to begin reading through as well.

"If a miracle is what it will take to defeat Tirac, then a miracle I will find."

"Gloom Mountain at last," Firefly thought as she set down at the base of the formation.

She had been flying for a day now. The easy part was over. Tomorrow, she would have to cross it to get the kingdom on the other side.

"Piece of cake, Firefly. You can dance through the air and do it with glee," she told herself. "I'll find someone."

"Well, I think we should go after Firefly. There's no sense in just waiting around here," Paradise insisted.

"And get caught by those things," Ribbons asked, incredulously.

"We'll have to go back out, eventually, and they're not acting like they're going to leave anytime soon," Galaxy put in.

"So we fight," Gusty asked.

"In all likelihood, we'll have to," came a reply from Wind Whistler.

"Sir," a lieutenant asked Scorpan. "Why do we not just rip that castle asunder and grab what we want from their numbers?"

"No need. They will come out on their own once they realize that we're not leaving. We grab the last two and we'll be on our way."

"But sir…"

"No buts, lieutenant! The rest of them will still have to live here once we've obtained our four and been on our way. It isn't worth leaving those left a demolished home for just four ponies."

"…Yes, sir."

The following morning, Firefly was awakened by a cock crowing in the distance. Her eyes fluttered open. She blinked dumbly for a moment, not remembering where she was immediately, but looking around at her grassy surroundings, rather than her bed back at the castle, brought it back very quickly.

She glanced up at the mountain before her.

"Now or never, Firefly."

The young Pegasus flexed and stretched before taking off into the mountains. Not many ponies dared to get this close, as the western mountains also had another name not known to many outside of the ponies: Gloom Mountain, or the Mountain of the Witches. It was named such for the family of witches that dwelled there, and kept all others out. Presently, three lived in the ancestral home: Hydia, Draggle, and Reeka. While not as fearsome as previous generations, their hearts were still dark and filled with hate for other living things and their magic potent.

Firefly knew this, as she had dared to fly above the mountain a few times, off on some adventure. She had sighted Dongard in the distance many times before, but never got close enough to become acquainted with the humans that dwelt there.

After giving her wings a few readying flaps, she dashed forward and began her ascent into the sky. Finding a suitable gust of wind to help her to rise towards the heavens, Firefly thrust herself forward and was soon high enough to begin soaring over the mountains. Over them, any pony knew not to land lest get caught by the witches. No one ever knew what happened after someone was ensnared by their traps, but they were never seen again at least on the East side. Firefly's current mission did not allow for curiosity or bash action.

Hours passed as she navigated the peaks and spires without landing. Her wings were killing her, but she knew if she could not land until she reached the other side. Thankfully, from previous experience, she had learned to pace herself getting over the massive formation.

A twist, a turn, and a loop, then another turn, the mountain seemed a labyrinth to any Pegasus that dared to pass over it. Perhaps it was intentionally so, as a curse cast by a witch long past. Firefly knew not.

She smiled a bit as she remembered the first time she had been here. Gusty had dared her to cross over while Medley had begged her not to. Not being one to pass up a challenge, Firefly took to the mountains, and back again in about a day's time by flight. Her wings were numb by the time she had made the return journey, but no one ever questioned Firefly's courage again.

As a result, she also received the ultimate nagging from Medley. Firefly often brushed off her friend's words of caution, but she did appreciate the thought.

"Hoo, boy, this is exhausting. Well, Firefly, old girl, you did this before. You can do again. Just a few more mountaintops and you'll be in the clear and in that place where those humans live."

"Mother, oh, mother, look! A pony," Draggle, the tall, red-headed witch, called.

"Don't call me that, and what's this about a pony?"

"Up there! She's trying to cross our mountain."

"Is she? Well, we'll just have to see about that."

"I'm near their home. I hope they didn't spot me, but I don't have time to be stealthy. I've got to get over to that other land to get help," Firefly thought, determined.

With that, she spurred herself on and made her tired wings propel her through the air even faster. It was then, that she heard a chanting on the air, as fell voices completed an incantation of some sort.

"Oh boy, now I'm in for it!"

She a heard a cracking and crunching sound to her left that started loud and became louder. The mare glanced in the direction the terrible noise came from and was aghast to see the stone of the mountain, itself, coming to life. A patch of rock came right out of the side of a wall lurched forward and began to shake. Bits flew off and the thing took shape. A stone griffon revealed itself under the mass of rock and it roared in her direction. Not an organic sound, mind you. The wretched sounds of rock lurching over rock erupted from the maw of the beast as it also took flight. By all rights, the stone thing shouldn't have been able to fly, but the witches had put some kind of devilry on it.

Firefly didn't know what to do, but she had to figure it out fast, as it caught up with her quickly. Firefly couldn't speed up anymore and expect to stay in the air long, as her wings were just too tired and even beginning to grow a little numb from usage.

Firefly flew into a narrow canyon to try to lose her pursuer, but the fell beast turned on its side and followed after her. So the little pony tried entering a cave. The stone creature folded its wings and landed, instead chasing after on foot as the two passed through caverns and chambers to the other side of the hole. Once on the other side, Firefly was gasping for breath with the construct bearing ever closer.

Finally, she spotted a bit of hope in the form of another canyon. An idea sparked and she flew for down towards it. Again, the stone griffon turned to allow itself to follow after into the narrow opening. Firefly steered directly towards the bottom using gravity to increase her speed. However, the griffon was faster and was finally close enough to strike. The jaws of its beak parted to take a bite out of the little pony, but then Firefly pulled out at the last second. The construct got to chomp down on air. It was only then the thing saw its mistake. It was too close to the bottom and could not pull out or turn. The stone creation hit the floor of the canyon and shattered.

Firefly, meanwhile, was not faring well. Her energy spent, she landed roughly and lied down. She breathed very hard now and her wings were just too tired to flap anymore. She'd have to hide somewhere before trying again.

'Be careful, Firefly. It's dangerous," Medley's often said words of advice echoed in the Pegasus's mind as she dragged her tired form into a small cave where she wouldn't be spotted from above.

"That what I get for rushing," she muttered before lying down again. "I'll just have to try again later."

"Are they still out there," Gusty asked bored.

"Yep," Shady replied.

"Great. Hey, Paradise, how's reading the castle blueprints going?"

"Ah," the white Pegasus stuttered as she looked through the piled of tomes and scrolls laid out before her. "Uh, uuuuuh, well… I'm not seeing any alternate exits out of here yet, but I'll keep looking. The only other way out is through the back door which leads into the woods, but the only way to go from there is to our kin in the South. I'm guessing we don't want to lead them there."

Gusty sighed and lied back on her bed. She began counting the stones making up the ceiling in the room she, Shady, and Paradise shared. It had been a day and a half since the dragonriders had attacked them and made off with Parasol and Fizzy. She hoped they were alright. She also hoped Firefly was successful in finding help. Though the Pegasus had left without a word in the midst of the confusion, Gusty knew her well enough to know what was going on in the Pegasus's mind.

"Hey, somebody's coming," Shady suddenly cried.

"Hmm?"

Gusty jumped out of her bed and look out the window. Sure enough, one of the dragonriders had come forward. He sat on the saddle of his dragon, which stood just before their drawn up drawbridge. The thing on the back of the great beast looked odd to her. He was some kind of winged goat man.

"Greetings, Pastel Ponies of Dream Valley," the man called. "I call for a parley. No one will attempt to capture more of you, I promise. I just want to talk."

They trio watched as Magic Star emerged from inside onto the castle's front all.

"And what guarantee do we have of that, Mr…uh…?"

"Scorpan. Call me Scorpan. You have my word as an officer of his…" Scorpan paused before spitting out the next word. "…Majesty's empyreal army."

Magic Star blinked at the man's sour tone at having to call his master as such.

"Your master? Tell me, who is this master you speak of?"

"Tirac the Conqueror, my little pony," he said.

Gasps and murmurs broke out between any and all ponies listening.

"Tirac," Shady questioned.

"He's a powerful warlord in lands far to the North, Shady. Anyone who doesn't bow to him gets wiped out," Paradise said.

"Hey, man, its surrender or die. That's his policy. It makes everyone too afraid to try to fight back. He now controls all the lands to the North and East," Gusty added.

"That's right, Gusty. Unfortunately, a few kingdoms were outright decimated before the other kings, emperors, and lords got the message and have been folding like cards before him ever since," Paradise said.

"Is he really that bad," Shady asked.

"Worse, Shady. It'd be bad enough if he was just a conqueror, but he commands some force of darkness that does his bidding when armies alone can't cut it," Paradise replied.

"Yeah, he's basically just one big cheater, man," Gusty stated.

"No one who comes under attack of his dark magic lives to tell the tale, it's just too powerful," Paradise explained.

"Then who spread the story around," Shady asked.

"People who saw the destruction that weren't on his hit list or people he passed up on killing just to let them tell the tale, that's how. They said it was like a living cloud of black that trumped even other magic user's magicks," Paradise continued.

At this point, Shady began hyperventilating.

"Hey, whoa, calm down," Gusty exclaimed.

"Calm down? He's basically evil incarnate and he's come to our Dream Valley. How I can calm down," Shady whispered frightfully.

Gusty opened her mouth to reply, but for once, found she had nothing to say.

Scorpan waited patiently as the drawbridge lowered and out stepped Magic Star and Northstar. He gave a small bow in respect. Magic Star and Northstar returned the notion, but did not take their distrusting eyes off of him for a second.

It always twisted his gut to be looked at in such a way, but Scorpan knew that he should expect this kind of response from people his forces attacked. His eyes lifted up towards Dream Castle briefly and he saw dozens of pairs of eyes staring frightfully down at him. That was the other look that churned his gut, being met with fear.

Now, Scorpan was not a cruel being. Quite the contrary, but being the slave of Tirac meant harming the innocent whether he wanted to or not. Why would such a being serve a vile entity like Scorpan did? Well, Scorpan was not always like this. Many years he was quite different and lived a good life amongst his people.

Then Tirac came. He still remembered that dark time from many decades ago. His father led their people against Tirac, but it was all for naught. They drove his armies back, and when victory seemed near, the dark lord himself appeared on the battlefield.

The army of Scorpan's homeland knew not what to make of the dark blue and red centaur that suddenly appeared, nor did they have time to contemplate him. He reached for the pouch around his neck and opened it. Out spilled what could only be described as evil given gaseous form. The black mist flowed out and in seconds Scorpan's brothers-in-arms fell. Soon, it was just Scorpan, his father, Tirac, and what remained of the latter's army.

Scorpan's father leapt forward, sword at the ready to slay the vile conqueror, but was met with more of the black mist that had slaughtered the rest of their army. It engulfed him and then nothing as left.

Tirac ordered his troops forward to the kingdom's capitol. Scorpan intervened and begged for the safety of his people, offering the warlord everything. And so it was done, Scorpan's people in exchange for his eternal servitude of the dark emperor.

"Mr. Scorpan," a voice said bringing him back to the present.

"Huh? Yes, of course," the goat man answered. "Before we begin the deliberations, perhaps you might give me your names, if it pleases you."

"Of course. My name is Magic Star, and this is Northstar."

"Pleased to meet you."

"Now, you said you wished to negotiate with us?"

"Indeed, ma'am, I do. My…master, Tirac the Conqeror, requires four Pastel Ponies for something. We have already acquired two. If you would part with two more of your numbers, my men will leave the rest of you in peace."

"Just what is your master's purpose? What would happen to the four ponies taken to your master?"

"They would very much be alive, I can guarantee that. It is your magical properties Tira…master, wishes to exploit, in one of his campaigns."

Magic Star stared him in the eye dead on for a long moment.

"You're not telling us everything."

"I'm saying all I am allowed to say, but the ponies taken would be very much alive and well cared for, I promise."

"And why can't you say anymore? After all, we're the targets, are we not? Why not let us in on what we would be in for?"

"…I can't."

"Why not?"

"I just can't."

"You can't say why, can you? The words physically can't get past your lips, can they?"

"…"

"Very well, I've heard all I need to hear. What if I said no?"

"My men could tear this castle to pieces in an instant coming in after you. You can either give up two of your own willingly, or hope I'm bluffing. Either way, my men grow restless of this wait, and Tirac will also not wait forever. Your choice."

As cold as his words were, Scorpan's tone did not quite measure up. However, threat of Tirac's patience reaching an end seemed to have an effect on the unicorn before him.

The wait was long as Magic Star weighted what was told to her. Northstar stood by her side with bated breath.

"I have your answer," Magic Star said at last.

"Rrrrrth! Ooh! Ow! Alright, you can do this," Firefly told herself.

She flexed her wings a few times as she worked out the sore kinks.

"Remember who you're doing this for."

With that, she began galloping and leapt into the air. She flew upwards at a steady pace, preparing to have to pick up speed in case more trouble awaited her up ahead.

"Are you sure the little pony came this way, mama," Reeka asked, stuffing her face with some freshly dug earthworms. "We haven't seen sight or sound of the dumb thing for hours now."

"Oh, she'd down there, alright," Hydia said. "This was the last spot where I could see through our pet's eyes before it hit bottom, and don't call me mama. Oh, what's that?"

The three witches stared over the side of the cliff as something small moved down in the darkness. It wasn't until it was too late to stop her that they realized it was the pony their construct had pursued earlier. Firefly zipped upwards into the air right past them, causing Hydia to stumble.

"Aaaaaaugh," the old witch cried and she started to fall over the edge, grabbing Draggle who started to fall with her.

The younger witch grabbed a hold of a nearby tree and the two dangled over the canyon's edge helplessly.

"Reeka! Help us!"

"I'm coming, mother dearest!"

"Don't call me that! And curse you, you wretched, horrid little pony! Curse you!"

"Serves them right," Firefly thought as she disappeared into the horizon and soon had her bearings again.

A while later, Firefly passed over another peak and knew she had just one cliff face to overcome and she would be on the other side. She dipped down to increase her momentum and then made a u-turn upwards. In an instant, she was up and over the cliff face, and the land of humans she had gazed upon before was in view. She passed over the last portion of the formation and steered downwards, towards the big city in the distance.

"Just hang on, guys. Help is on the way."

To be continued…

A/N: And there you have it. How was it, guys? I know there wasn't a whole lot of Firefly in these first few chapters, but don't worry. There's going to be plenty on Firefly in this next, upcoming, chappy, in which she meets the young lord Bernard to try to convince him to send help to Dream Valley. We're also going to see a lot more of the main cast of ponies next time, too.