The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Watership Down: A New Chance at Life

Adder · 11 · 2587

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
For some time now, after watching "Watership Down" I had planned a fanfic, but didn't know what to write until now. It will follow the time line of the television series, but the path that the film took, being a rather dark story. I will include the following characters from the movie and television series ó Bigwig, Hazel, Fiver, Campion, Keehar, Blackberry, Dandelion, Hawkbit, Pipkin, General Woundwort, Moss, Vervain, Weasel, Blackavar and Cowslip. There will also be many rabbits that appear from the Cowslip and Efrafa warrens, but they won't have any major roles.

It takes place during the time the television series took place. But I'm not sure how far this will go, I'm rather new to Watership Down, so don't be surprised if there are any mistakes of the Watership Down canon or the way characters act. But I will try to keep the characters the way they acted in the tv series as best as I can.

The rabbits of the Watership Down warren ó along with Blackavar, Primrose, Hannah and Keehar ó have finally settled down somewhere safe. But they of course face many new dangers. Among these the rival warrens Efrafa and Cowslip and the occasional threat of a stray weasel that has developed a taste for rabbits of any kind.

But Bigwig and Hazel always have a plan to keep their friends and family safe from any dangers of Watership Down, even foxes and stoats too occasionally! But when they discover that the leader of the Efrafa is a ruthless rabbit by the name of General Woundwort and he is bent on killing all outsiders that come to Watership Down or making them his slaves and he has Moss, Vervain and Campion to ensure that none of their prisoners escape - dead or alive.

But Campion seems to be growing towards the Watership Down warren more than the Efrafa because of their free ways and his developing a love for Blackberry, but he is also torn between the two because of his loyalty for General Woundwort. Will he be able to choose will warren he will go with, and will his decision cost him ó or one of the Watership Down or Efrafa Warren's members' life in the process?

Here's the first chapter:
Preface

A group of rabbits have been scurrying around a field in Watership Down and they are busily eating the grass, among them are several adult bucks, one doe, two young bucks, a sea-gull, and a mouse ó Bigwig, Hazel, Dandelion, Hawbit, Blackberry, Fiver, Pipkin, Keehar and Hannah. Hannah is standing a nearby tree branch that is protruding out of the ground and Keehar is setting on the ground nearby it, and two are watching the rabbits run around the field and eating in the grass. It has been rather peaceful since they arrived in Watership Down, and there had not been any rival groups of rabbits attacking them or even seen in their area of land that they designated as their own.

But Fiver, who was born under the watch of an Owsl· that had treated most of his previous warren, which of only the rabbits that are surrounding him now are the only ones that remain after a construction company had claimed the lives of all the others, including his and Hazel's father, the chief rabbit, any remaining Owsla excluding Bigwig, had been born the runt of his family, and had to be raised by his older brother Hazel after their parents were killed by a farm dog. Fiver never had gotten to know any body in his family other than Hazel, as most of them had abandoned him and thought he would be useless to the family, including his uncle and aunt, who had since passed away from old age since his birth.

But Fiver had already had a special gift of being able to see future events such as deaths of friends or family or any loved ones, he has goes into spasms sometimes when he has these visions, he always fears that the Black Rabbit of InlÈ will claim a life or lives of one of those closet to him before their time like Hazel or Bigwig, they are the closet of the warren to him than any of the others.

While Bigwig and Hazel know of several other groups of rabbits in the area such as the Efrafa and Cowslip warrens, both of the elder bucks feel that they won't have any trouble with them over land or for any other reasons as they are relatively new to the area, and the other two have yet to find out about the arrival of the outsiders. But they have yet to find out that the Efrafa warrenóled by General Woundwortóare one of the most brutal, bloodthirsty and heartless warren of rabbits to ever set foot on the earth. But they are only this way because of Woundwort, but if it wasn't for them in the first place, they won't be where they are now, but him and several other captains such as Vervain, Moss and Campion, are ordered to starve, punish and if necessary, kill any that try to escape from Efrafa. Blackavar already tried this once and he ended up being re-captured despite Keehar's efforts to save him and he had his ears torn the shreds, was nearly mutilated and starved for months, until Campion finally felt that he had suffered enough and he was given enough amounts of food to get healthy again. Of all the blood that had ever been shed in Efrafa, most of it had been Blackavar's.

"It is so peaceful and lovely here," Blackberry stated, looking around the area at her friends, but not all of them had always been friends, Bigwig only had followed them at first to ensure that they were safe. But he soon became a true friend of them, and it was similar with Keehar and Hannah, they only met when they were chased by a large farm dog off of a farm with the rabbits when they happened to be raiding the same farm for fish and vegetables.

"I know Blackberry," Hawkbit replies with an obvious tone of annoyance in his voice, chewing up the last bit of grass that he wants to eat. "I hope that it is always this way, it has been peaceful for the first week that we have been here." He swallows the grass carefully and he looks over to Bigwig along with Blackberry when he speaks.

"Don't expect it to always be peaceful like it is now," Bigwig states calmly. "There are other warrens of rabbits in this area. Not all of them are going to be happy to see usóI'm sure of that. Which is my I think that it is for the best if we stay with in our warren area for now until we know what the Efrafa and Cowslip are like."

"Maybe they'll want to be our allies," Dandelion says, beginning to stand up, but he stops when he decides that he doesn't want to get up. "We're all rabbits, why would we have to fight?"

"Not all rabbits are our allies Dandelion," Hazel says, coming up next to Bigwig with Fiver alongside of him. "You remember what we went through back on our previous warren before we came to Watership Down. The Owlsa that lived in the area with us controlled our lives and thought that they controlled all the other warrens. From what I have heard, the Efrafa is the same ó or at least similar. I would be careful around them, and those Cowslip don't sound much better either."

"How would I know that?" cries Dandelion, "we're new here. We shouldn't know that much about Watership Down already."

"Dandelion's got a point," Fiver states nervously, then doesn't say anything else about. He wishes that Dandelion was right and Hazel was wrong, but he recently had a vision about a battle between two rabbits, and the one that will save them, but he won't be be able to save himself.

But Fiverónor any of his friendsórealize the true meaning of his vision and that trouble will follow with them choosing to live in Watership Down, and so close to the Efrafa's warren, but they have chose to have their warren somewhere that is well hidden and not able to be discovered by the Efrafa, nor any other warrens that may pose a threat in the future for their warren.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I only started reading a teensy bit... Being a corefan of Watership, I'm sure I will probably review this here soon, that is after I get back from the store. I'll just say this:
But Campion seems to be growing towards the Watership Down warren more than the Efrafa because of their free ways and his developing a love for Blackberry, but he is also torn between the two because of his loyalty for General Woundwort.
That was a bit of a run-on sentence.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The part in italics is the plot summary, not part of the preface/prologue. Under the heading "preface" is the start of the story. Maybe I should put something like **** or ==== to separate it.

And its located here on fanfic.net for those that want to read/review it there.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6782103/1/Wate..._Chance_at_Life

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I was going to do a critical analysis, but I'll just announce these problems:
  • Run-ons galore
  • Needless explanation
  • Not ENOUGH explanation on when it is set
  • Made up back story
  • Characters don't have personality
  • Exaggeration of Efrafa code and development
  • Improper storyline: Fiver doesn't have that particular vision until the end of Season 2
  • Nothing really happens
  • Various other problems with story and characters
Of course Scrattelover, you know me, so you know I don't announce my "judgments" with malice. It is your fanfic, so I'll accept anything you made up for the sake of it. If you do anything, just fix your writing a little with explaining what characters do, and make things a little more clear to follow as a reader.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Run-ons galore
Need to work on that, that's always been my weakness as a writer. I can get detail into a story, but that always gets me. :bang

Needless explanation
Too much detail? I do that sometimes...

Not ENOUGH explanation on when it is set
Like the year, month, season, etc.?

Made up back story
?

Characters don't have personality
Do you mean describe how they act? Like the weasel, sneaky, reclusive, fowl-tempered, etc.?

Exaggeration of Efrafa code and development
Exaggeration? :confused  I used what I know about them from the movie and tv series. :confused

Improper storyline: Fiver doesn't have that particular vision until the end of Season 2

Strange, I thought he said that earlier in season 2...my mistake. :slap

Nothing really happens
That's normally what a prologue/preface is for. To introduce the characters, but more happens in the later chapters. But I see what you mean, I've written better prologues before. :bang

Various other problems with story and characters
Like what? :confused

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Adder,Feb 27 2011 on  04:58 PM
Not ENOUGH explanation on when it is set
Like the year, month, season, etc.?

Made up back story
?

Characters don't have personality
Do you mean describe how they act? Like the weasel, sneaky, reclusive, fowl-tempered, etc.?

Exaggeration of Efrafa code and development
Exaggeration? :confused  I used what I know about them from the movie and tv series. :confused
1. Give clues as to when it's happening in canon

2: and had to be raised by his older brother Hazel after their parents were killed by a farm dog. Fiver never had gotten to know any body in his family other than Hazel, as most of them had abandoned him and thought he would be useless to the family, including his uncle and aunt, who have since passed away from old age since his birth.

3. No. I mean write them consistently with their actual character. Like, for example, you would never see Keehar Speaking proper english, and hawkbit would have a snippy attitude.

4. In the show, there only seems to be two solutions to dealing with a problem: Seclusion or death. They wouldn't waste time with torture. Darkhaven, on the other hand..

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I see. I'll take some of that into concideration for the next and later chapters, maybe I should have watched all of the show before I started this since I'm following that canon/timeline and not the movie.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I think that is a prerequisite for just about any fan fiction. Depends on the circumstances... Like, nobody would ever want to write a fan fiction involving Alien 3

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I agree with what Campion said about this story. It needs some working, I'm afraid.
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I read your first chapter on FF, and I will say for now is that it's never OK to try and rewrite canon, because it just does nothing but confuse the readers. There are a lot of problems, which I'll get into whenever I'm in the mood

but hey, it is your story.. but even when I could disregard some things, there are still issues

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I didn't even notice that I re-wrote cannon, but here is a re-written chapter. It begins around the time after they escape from Efrafa on the river. I'm not sure how to make it seem like Keehar is talking in broken English, so I just did this for all the vowels. ·, È, ?, “, Û, etc. And I finished watching the tv series now, so I may just continue this story now.
Chapter 1: The First Day on the Down

The morning after the survivors the SandlÈford Warren arrived at Watership Down, they were quickly in trouble with the rival warren of Efrafa. Bigwig had tricked his way into the warren and become a trusted warrior among all those with in it, including all the prisoners, only to help Primrose and Blackavar escape from Efrafa and the group went the river using a boat that Blackberry had come across under the bridge that two guards were using as a post to keep watching for Hazel and his friends. Woundwort had barely escaped from drowning when he had jumped off the bridge after them. From that day on, he was a sworn enemy of the Watership Down warren and everyday he wishes that he would be able to kill those that betrayed himóBigwig, Primrose and Blackavar.

“Well, that was too close,” Fiver says, with a sigh of relief shortly afterwards. “I thought for sure that Woundwort was going to get us there for a second.”

“He won’t get any of us with me in charge,” Bigwig tells him confidently, standing near the back edge of the boat keeping watch for any Efrafans that may have followed them. “If they do harm any of you; I'll tear their ears off, kill them and leave them for the el“l; hopefully those cursÈd weasels.”

While they are safe from the Efrafans for now, there is still the problem of getting the boat they are on to stop near the river bank, and then finding their way home without getting chased by the el“l or Efrafan patrol. But the good thing is: the water has no rapids today. It has been moving slow for most of the time they were in hiding under the bridge and getting into the boat.

“One problem,” Blackavar said, looking across the river, which continued straight ahead. “How are we going to get the boat to stop at the river bank? Its following the flow of the river, which is straight ahead. Is there any way that we can ge the boat to turn left towards the river bank and all of us have a chance to jump to the bank before it floats away?”

“Well, if enough of us get to one side of the boat,” Hazel replied, keeping his eyes on the bank. “Maybe the weight will shift the boat to that direction long enough for us to get off of the boat. Bigwig, BlackbÈrry, Blackavar, Hawkbit and Dandelion will get on this side of the boat while the rest of you lean over the edge and paddle in the water with your arms if you can. And be careful, all of you, I doubt that any of us are skilled swimmers, just lean far enough to hit the water, and we'll just stand on the opposite side if the boat and hopefully all this weight and movement will get it to move. Go.”

“That sounds like a plan to me,” Bigwig boasted confidently, moving with the others to the right side of the boat, which quickly caused it to turn without the rabbits on the other side even having to paddle the water with their arms. Which is actually a good thing for them because only Dandelion's arms were actually long enough to get down to the water. “It's working!” Bigwig added, “we're getting closer to the shore. Just a little closer, come on. Come on.”

The small group of rabbits on the left side of the boat feel it hit against something, clearly the river bank, and when they turn to face the right side, they see their friends jumping off to the boat onto the bank, and they quickly follow before the boat moved off into the water again. Pipkin, however, was the last to get onto the bank, and when he finally did jump, he barely made it onto the land, Bigwig had grabbed him by the arms at the last second and pulled him up onto the bank as the boat floated away up river.

“Okay, that was too close,” Fiver corrected himself. “Let's get home now before anything else goes wrong.” Fiver began to run once all the others had ran off already towards Watership Down, he had been too busy watching Woundwort kicking and paddling for his life out in the middle of the river until he noticed that the others were leaving. However, that hadn't been the only reason that he had moved on, a weasel had appeared on the far bank. With the scent of rabbit picked up.

Fiver ran up beside Hazel, gasping tiredly, “There are weasels here too?” he asked nervously, always having been afraid of weasel more than any other kind of el“l. “I thought they only existed back at SandlÈford and Darkhaven?”

“Weasels can be found anywhere there is rabbits,” Hazel explained. “Always has been that way. Always will be. SandÈlford, Darkhaven, Efrafa, Redstone, they all have weasels located at them. Even the Warren of the Shiny Wires has several, but they rarely travel towards the warren, always having the fear of being caught in the snares. But that is only the younger weasels, the elder weasels aren't worried about snares.”

“But us rabbits are,” said Bigwig. “I could not tell you how many friends I have seen die in a snare or have heard about being killed by a snare, always with a iron spike. Most hunters know that rabbits can dig out wooden stakes, so they use iron spike so it can't be dug around or pulled out by another rabbit. Humans find it fun to hunt rabbits for pure pleasure and not sport. Greedy bunch of-”

“That's enough Bigwig,” Hazel cut him off, knowing what Bigwig was about to say, and he doesn't want such words said around Fiver or Pipkin. “Have you forgotten that we actually have young bucks with us? We don't need them to hear that kind of language at their age.”

“I'm sorry Hazel,” he apologized. “But I have always hated humans for what they have done to my friends. I've seen them caught in snares, their heads crushed in by bear traps, their head shot off by hunters with shotguns meant to hunt birds with, and torn to bits by foxes, stoats and weasels. I hate all kinds of el“l for what they have done to many old friends of mine. Humans, stoats, foxes, weasels, dogs, cats, I hate them all with a passion. CursÈd things don't deserve to live as far as I am concerned. They do nothing but kill for sport like humans do. Why do you think that Woundwort is the way he is? He said that he saw his dad and siblings shot by a human, his mother, Laurel, was shot by the same human, but escaped. A weasel had picked up the scent of blood from her gunshot wound and cornered them by a fire. She gave her life for him and was torn to pieces before Woundwort's eyes. Honestly I don't feel sorry for that worthless excuse of a rabbit. He deserved to lose his family.”

“But if he hadn't lost his family, he wouldn't be the way he is now,” Hazel replied. “And Efrafa wouldn't be a warren full of enslaved rabbits and it would be more like our warren, despite it being small. The death of his parents and siblings is why Woundwort is the ruthless general that he is today. Do you not understand? If you lost your parents that way, would you be the way you are? Look at Pipkin, I had to raise him when his mother and father were killed by a weasel and he become good because he had somebody there to care for him. Fiver and I also lost are mother to the same weasel and our father blamed her death on us, and left us. We don't know what become of him or our other siblings. They are probably dead with the rest of SandÈlford after it was torn up by man.”

“I have lost family to weasels,” Bigwig growled offensively. “I saw my mother torn to shreds before my eyes when we were cornered in our nest when I was only in my first season, so do not go giving me all that about being curtious to some one just because they lost a relative to an el“l or snare? You and Fiver have, I have, Pipkin has, and why do you think Hawkbit is the way he is? He lost his sisters to the same weasel that killed Pipkin's parents. We have all suffered loss to el“l, and I don't want to hear another word about losing family to el“l in the future, am I understood?”

“Oh for Frith’s sake,” Hawkbit groaned with anger. “Can we go even one day without arguing? Your cursÈd debates are giving me the worst headaches. Look, some of us had gotten over the deaths of relatives because of that weasel until you Bigwig mentioned their deaths. Unlike any of us, you are too boneheaded to let deaths of those you know go. You are so boneheaded! Why can't you be more like BlackbÈrry? Do you see her talking about death and loss of friends all the time? No. Are any of us war captains like you? No. We are all carefree until we had to leave SandÈlford behind and loose three-fourths of our friends to man. Drop it! I have had enough of this. You're annoyed? You're not the one that gets a headachÈ every time you and Hazel get into an argument. I would rather go back to talk to that weasel than listen to your pointless arguments one more second!”

“Hawbit is right,” Dandelion butted in. “Why do you two always fight and argue and quarrel over past events? You all lost your realitves when you were in your first season, if that. Why can't any of you have let it go by now? Bigwig, I know you are the leader since we left SandÈlford, but, Hawkbit is right, you have become more and more boneheaded ever since we left the warren.”

Hannah, feeling like all the rabbits had forgotten she was even there, said hoping that she can stop her friends from fighting anymore, “That’s enough, all of you. Let's get to Watership Down before Efrafa or any el“l find us. It has already gotten dark with all the arguing you two have done. Blackavar and Primrose are half a sleep, Fiver is close to that also, Hawkbit has a head ache, I should have been a sleep quite some time ago, the same with Keehar. Pipkin is very young and he needs to sleep more than all of us. How about we all remain quiet until we reach Watership Down, where we can all work together to dig a warren in the morning? I realize that BlackbÈrry is the only doe here, but she can teach you bucks and myself to dig. With all of us we'll have a warren dug before n“ghtfall tomorrow. Then maybe we can search around the High Hills for more does. Maybe at the farm, if I recall there was a kennel with rabbits in it. If we could possibly get them out, we could convince them to move on to Watership Down with us. Then we would have more defences if Efrafa was to ever attack again and more diggers too. I was born, raised and I grew up on that farm, there are several does in there.”

“H·nn·h right,” Keehar said, speaking with broken english that is barely audible. “WÈ ·re ·ll fr“Ènds. NÛnÈ Ûf ?s shÛ?ld bÈ f“ght“ng l“kÈ th“s. W·tersh“p DÛwn “s j?st ·t the th·t tÛp Ûf th·t hill. L“kÈ H·nn·h s·“d, wÈ h·vÈ tÛ rÈ·ch thÈrÈ bÈforÈ n“ghtfall, ·nd c·n rÈst Û?t “n thÈ opÈn fÛr ÛnÈ n“ght bÈforÈ ·ll Ûf yÛ? d“g · w·rrÈn for us.”

“Exactly,” Blackavar agreed, he had already began to stand up, after he had yawned of course and woke up Primrose. “If we ran as fast as we did when we were trying to get to the boat; we'll be there in no time. So why aren't we going by now? Let’s go.”