The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ali

NewOrder · 136 · 22881

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
well I liked Ali's voice in LBT4 her accent in the show wasn't bad but they screwed up her personality she's sopposed to be fearful and unoffenseive but in the TV show she's gullible and dumb not to mention she brags ALOT - something she never did in LBT4 they ruined her I mean sure it was better then ruining the main characters but why Ali why not Hyp or Doc or for the heck of it Shorty(although I think he's a cool character) if Ali is going to appear in another film then Universal should revert her back to her LBT4 self.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Uh, Ali was bigoted in LBT 4. She wasn't anywhere near unoffensive in some cases. I don't think Ali was meant to be fearful or unoffensive, I think she was meant to introduce a little conflict among the gang. And when did she brag in her episode? I don't really remember her doing much of anything except being bland.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
In regard to the whole "cousins" line, I always thought that Grandma Longneck meant cousins in a sort of species sense, in that they were both longneck (specifically apatosaurus) herds. Grandpa and Grandma Longneck haven't even met any of the herd before, and don't seem to know them very well when they talk to eachother. It could have been announced by a dinosaur near where they arrived, but that seems unlikely.

Besides, if Ali's and Littlefoot's herds were cousins, wouldn't the same have to be said for all or most of those (apatosaurus) herds? Is there any indication whether or not a herd is entirely made up of relatives or not? If each longneck is related in a herd, then someone would have to marry one of their cousins from another herd eventually. Or...wait, hang on, I mixed something up there. Darn. Oh well, I think you understand what I mean.

Actually, now that I think about it, Bron had a herd of non-relations, and Grandpa Longneck tells Littlefoot to join their herd if anything should happen to them. Ok, I think I went too far into this. But I still don't think Littlefoot and Ali are related.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Well, Ali looks almost exactly like a female version of Littlefoot, except for her blue eyes. Quite a coincidence for totally unrelated dinosaurs. They are probably 4th cousins or more distant.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
But so does just about every background character with their respective species (Every Hollowhorn and Clubtail looks the same). Of course, some of them are probably related, but not all of them, otherwise every dinosaur in the valley would be related. Many similarly coloured adult longnecks and threehorns are seen as background characters in the earlier films, and there is no indication from Grandpa or Grandma Longneck whether or not they are relations.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
In animation one has to realise the fact that some of the same species look the same since it is easier to do that, maybe using cells or cgi already existing to animated npc's and background characters.  So they may look alike for various reasons, for the stated above, the same variety of the same species, easier to animate, ect.

Some species may use the term cousin since who knows if they are related or not the way some herds mix, split, combine with other herds.  And there are some single dinos who live alone and maybe find a mate later, or may join a herd later, and a mix of these.  So Ali and Littlefoot may be distant cousins, or not related at all.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well, not only do they look alike, but the characters even commented on this. I don't think they would do this with just any two members of the same species.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
^ True, but how many young longnecks of Littlefoot's age had the gang seen up to that point? As far as we know, Ali was the first. (Evidently, Littlefoot's mother's assurance that there would be "many, many longnecks" in the Great Valley for her son to play with turned out to be incorrect. :p)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ali And Littlefoot are most likely distantly related. 3rd or 4th cousins. and while their families  are cousins it doesn't mean they are that close. for example, i don't know several of  my cousins all that well, and see them only on holidays. same principle applies here,,. grandpa and grandma don't know thier cousins all that well, due to long periods being apart..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
For all we know, we could only be seeing a small part of the Great Valley.

Perhaps there are other Longnecks in the Great Valley, it is just they are not shown.

As for the Ali being related to Littlefoot thing, I believe it is a coincidence that they look so similar and that they are totally unrelated.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Either hypothesis is equal, as we have no way of knowing. It all comes down to interpretation; if "cousins" is literal or metaphoric. I believe that they are distantly related, like Bambi and his future mate Faline... who were "gulp" FIRST cousins!  :blink:

It is probably a lot nicer to believe that Ali and Littlefoot would not be entering into a consanguineous relationship...

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://titanosaur.deviantart.com/
lol I am the biggest Ali fan on the site. she's my most favorite charactor. its a shame she only got one appearance after so many years after LBT4. I never realy cared much for Ali x Littlefoot pairing. but I wouldn't mind it. everybody needs to remember, these are animals we are talkin about. they don't share the same taboos as we do.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Quote from: TITANOSAUR,Aug 30 2010 on  06:08 PM
1) lol I am the biggest Ali fan on the site.
2) she's my most favorite charactor
3) its a shame she only got one appearance after so many years after LBT4.
4) I never realy cared much for Ali x Littlefoot pairing.
1) :neutral
2) Same here!
3) I know! I say that she should've appeared in every movie after this one.
4) I've always been hoping that they'd fall in love. (Yet another reason she could appear in all of them after 4)

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: ScratteLover3,Aug 30 2010 on  05:15 PM
Quote from: TITANOSAUR,Aug 30 2010 on  06:08 PM
1) lol I am the biggest Ali fan on the site.
2) she's my most favorite charactor
3) its a shame she only got one appearance after so many years after LBT4.
4) I never realy cared much for Ali x Littlefoot pairing.
1) :neutral
2) Same here!
3) I know! I say that she should've appeared in every movie after this one.
4) I've always been hoping that they'd fall in love. (Yet another reason she could appear in all of them after 4)
1. lol
2. glad you agree!
3. I think she should have atleast appeared in atleast 3 or 4 sequils?
4. as I said, I wouldn't mind it. it defenantly be quite cute.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
With regard to the "cousin" formulation in LBT 4 I would be really interested in what other language versions say. In the German version they are referred to as "Verwandte" which literally means "relatives" but which in the given context comes across as nothing else but metaphorical referring to them being the same kind rather than consanguineous.
Honestly this is also the impression I had from the English version. Don't forget that grandpa longneck refers not to Ali and / or her mother in particular, but to an entire herd of dozens of different longnecks when he speaks of the "cousins".
Anyway, those of you who know the Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Finnish, Danish, Dutch, Portuguese, Polish and other language versions (I apologize for any languages in the GOF which I may have forgotten in this spontaneous list) of the movie, can you tell us what Littlefoot's grandpa says in your language and if it is clear on the one or the other interpretation or ambiguous about whether the herd of Ali is claimed to consist of consanguineous longnecks or if grandpa refers to them as members of the own kind?

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
:huh: Who said they were cousins? Who says you can't have a relationship with your cousin? Einstein had a relationship with his first cousin. I never heard anything or anybody say they were related in anyway. The fourth movie, the episode, nor did the writers even mention that they are related.

From the way I see it, I don't think it should be too much of a concern.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Quote from: oogaboo,Aug 31 2010 on  06:26 AM
I never heard anything or anybody say they were related in anyway. The fourth movie, the episode, nor did the writers even mention that they are related.
I remember Ali saying when her and Littlefoot first meet

"I'm your cousion Littlefoot."

Or something like that, its been a while since I watched it, but I remember Ali saying that.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Who said they were cousins?
I remember Ali saying when her and Littlefoot first meet
That's not right. The source of the claim is a statement of Littlefoot's grandpa when Littlefoot first tells him and grandma about the herd coming to the Valley. In that talk Littlefoot's grandfather says:
"They are our cousins Littlefoot" (I didn't check out the exact wording but I think this was it) which some interpreted literally while others interpreted cousin in this kind to be metaphorically to mean something like kinfold / kind.
Personally I tend towards the second interpretation. No other line than this one of Littlefoot's grandfather suggested any more direct relationship between them and any member of the herd. The "formal" way they welcomed the herd to the Valley surely didn't look like anyone in the herd knew either of Littlefoot's grandparents who were left to guessing about whether or not there would be other longneck kids in the herd.
Who says you can't have a relationship with your cousin?
I don't and there are plenty of other examples for marriages between cousins.
However, I also think that many tend to read more into the (you already picked up the term I used so frequently myself oogaboo) sandboxlove between Littlefoot and Ali than their age, awareness, and maturity allow any basis for :rolleyes

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I always took it to mean cousin in the general term since they are all longnecks.  Taking into account  how some migrate and join this herd.  Some herds join up, some likely split up, and some may leave this herd to join that one, it would be hard to tell who is a 2nd, 3rd,  5th, ect cousin and who isn't.

TITANOSAUR

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I personaly don't think it would realy mattered if they WHERE related in the form of cousins if Littlefoot and Ali where to reach the point of growing an attraction to eachother when they get old enough. if mest one or the other can still atleast have a crush, but I don't think that is the case, I think for the moment they are just realy good friends. but again, when they get older they can most likely grow on thoughs feelings of mear sandbox love as Oogaboo and Malte have in mind.

as for Ali's future, I would have always felt she would take over the herd as leader and go back to the Great Valley. infact my own fanfic features that scenario.

I think, if Universal desides to make another movie, or makes a season 2 of the TV series, they should bring Ali back and bring her back to her roots as she was potrayed in the 4th movie.