The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Shouldn't Ducky have passed out?!

Guest · 13 · 1815

Bruton the Iguanodon

When Sierra drops her after she bites him in 7 she falls for 28 seconds! I'm serious! I actually timed it and that's what it is! Shouldn't she have passed out like when Ichy dropped her?!

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The water she fell in from when Ichy dropped her appeared to be shallow, so she most likely struck the bottom, and head-first at that.  In the time that Sierra dropped her, she looked like she was stunned or even momentarily unconscious from the impact, but the water was deeper and she had more cushioning.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I'm not so sure that water she hit was shallow. I don't recall any evidence for it. Ducky could have still been knocked out even if it was much deeper water. Hitting water from that height and speed would still be like hitting solid ground, thus resulting in a knock-out.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
& if you want to be more realistic water may not be that cushioning for falling into it.  I've not done this myself, but I recall as a kid in the 70's someone who mentioned they'd rather land on land rather then water since it would be softer landing got a reply from someone who said they use to be a ww2 paratrooper who said that landing in water feels like slamming into a brick wall and he'd rather land on land then water, given the choice.  Though cartoon physics is different.  Water can be soft like  a pillow and landing on land may just makes you go flat like a pancake for a few seconds till you "pop" back to normal.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Then I wonder how cliffdiving can be as safe as it is :blink:.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Jan 29 2012 on  01:08 AM
Then I wonder how cliffdiving can be as safe as it is :blink:.
I think it has to do with endurance, and also how you hit the water. If memory serves me right, cliff divers position their bodies with their arms and head downwards, their hands out in front of them. This kind of mimics the dive of some sea birds. Their hands take the brunt of the blow, but I think the way they're positioned helps their hands cut through the water with little problem, and the rest of the force hitting the body isn't as severe.

Sorry if that makes no sense. I heard about this before, but it was years ago, so I don't remember. Basically, what makes the difference is the way you dive. You can position yourself to reduce the amount of damage you'd receive.

For Ducky, it was damaging because what received the full force of the impact was her back and the back of her head. As I stated, this is like hitting solid ground, thus knocking her out. The damage, though, wasn't as bad as it could have been. She isn't that heavy. Smaller creatures can survive falls from much higher up. Basically, if you were the size of an ant, you could easily jump off a table to the ground, even if the table is now as tall as a skyscraper to you, and not get hurt.

Edit: I did read a bit on wiki, and it does support what I stated, that the hands going in first help reduce damage. Someone tried to dive with their hands at their sides, and they ended up hitting their head and got severely injured.

Thinking back, the real reason Sharptooth died was not because he couldn't swim, and it was not just the boulder. He's already heavy and he's falling down. Whether or not he hits water or the rocks, he'd still receive the same amount of force on this back. The bigger you are, the more mass you have, the more damage you get from falling, and the less of a fall you'd need to make before getting hurt. Mainly this means that the bigger you are, the more likely you'd get badly hurt from simply tripping or falling off a chair.

Sharptooth would have been hurt as he was already, but now a boulder that's probably as heavy as he is hits down on him just before he hits the water. That means he was hit with twice as much force as he would have, and it was mostly on his back. That force may have been enough to not only knock him out but damage his spinal cord. His brain may have been damaged too.

Ducky was falling with an object that, even though light, added some weight to her, but she is still quite small and light, so she didn't suffer the kind of damage Sharptooth did, at least not to the same degree. A little shaken after she wakes up, but not too worse for wear. If Sharptooth had survived and woken up, he'd probably be crippled, unable to move his legs well, leaving him either with a permanent limp or not being able to walk at all, and if his brain got damaged, his personality would have changed. He could easily have become dopey from that fall.

Bruton the Iguanodon

For Ducky, it was damaging because what received the full force of the impact was her back and the back of her head. As I stated, this is like hitting solid ground, thus knocking her out.

You see, I still think the bee stings in 6 would have been worse. I mean, falling on your back knocks the wind out of you and can knock you out, but it's not early as bad as the feeling of red hot knives stabbing you everywhere on your nose. I wouldn't necessarily say the same if Ducky landed facefirst, though. A nose dive is extremely painful, I bet! (I've never suffered one---(touches wood))

Bruton the Iguanodon

The water she fell in from when Ichy dropped her appeared to be shallow, so she most likely struck the bottom, and head-first at that.

What's interesting is in 4 they didn't show her going under, so we can only speculate on this. They did in 7, as wel as with Chomper in 5, We even saw Spike trapped under the ice in 8. Not to mention Littlefoot falling in in 7.

But Roy Allan Smith was apparently a little more vague with this stuff. Which made it all the more interesting.

Also, though not etirely on subject, I noticed Hyp totally caon-balled ino that tar pit...I would think that would have sorta hurt, even if it was partly cushioned with a layer of water on top

For Ducky, it was damaging because what received the full force of the impact was her back and the back of her head.

And so that apprently hurts more then fallig facefirst, cause your nerves are on your back, I hear?

Bruton the Iguanodon

What's funny is they didn't show her going under. I think they should have. It remains a mystery if she hit bottom or...I wanna see what hapeened when she went under.

Serisouly, 4 took it up a notch. Usually in these kind of scenarios someone would have caught Ducky.

But no, here they had her...unconcious.

Either that or she was being very stupid and playing dead at the wrong time.

I just wish we could have seen what happened when she went under.  <_<

Littlefoot Fan 93

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jan 28 2012 on  09:03 AM
I'm not so sure that water she hit was shallow. I don't recall any evidence for it. Ducky could have still been knocked out even if it was much deeper water. Hitting water from that height and speed would still be like hitting solid ground, thus resulting in a knock-out.
Actually, at that height, Ducky should have been killed instantly, regardless of the depth of the water.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Doing my fair share of belly-flops (owww) from a height of about four feet into the pool, it stings like heck if you hit the water the wrong way, so I agree with Dark, that it really depends on the angle on which you hit the water. The surface can be so unyielding if you hit it from a height.
And I can really only imagine what it could have done to someone of Ducky' size and age - she still being young and small. Geyahh, the results would be traumatic. It's almost like Billy in JP3, going over that waterfall after being attacked by pteranodons.
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't think that Ducky had a free fall of 28 seconds. The makers just put in the conversation of the Gang, She'd have fallen a few seconds.

I expect the one of LBT 7 to be harder than LBT 4, but Ducky was knocked unconscious in 4 and in 7 she wasn't.... :!
Inactive, probably forever.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It could have been done like some tv shows & movies do, I'd guess for dramatic effect where say a bomb is ticking down, or something else bad like that will happen, and there's supposed to be say 10 or 30 seconds left but if you time it it may actually be several minutes long.