The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What happened to Petrie's voice after movie 4?

Guest · 10 · 1785

Bruton the Iguanodon

I noticed while watching 1 this summer that Petrie's voice is lower, but initially I just thought that was cause Will ryan was voicing him. But then I saw 2and it was the same. So I figured "kay, Bennet just hadn't figured it out at this point." But then I found out that this lasts up to movie 4!

What the heck? Why did it suddenly get higher and squeakier in 5? When they used to sing together, they sounded great cause he had a lower voice. But now it sounds awkward.

On the other hand, Ducky sounds more mature after 6. Starting with 7, her voice suddenly went from typically cute and babyish sounding to a voice I really like, and the last 7 films were really great for Ducky as a result!  :D This was espicially an imporvement cause by 6 she'd become so genetic that her character was suffering. So while this was an improvement by anymeans, after her near character suicide in movie 6 it was really a relief.

Anyways, though, I don't like Petrie's new voice as much. I feel Petrie's character suffered as a result. And it's not just his voice---another thing I really hate about him is how he was unnecessarily bashing himself in 7, saying afer Ducky was kidnapped "it all me fault!!" and expressing how he carwed about her through guilt and shame. I'm a person who's felt a lot of unnecesaary guilt, and I feel awful for Petrie that he felt so guilty when he shouldn't have.

But anyways what's the deal with his different voice?

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
Didn't the movies get a new director or something starting with 5?  It could be that he wanted Petrie's voice to be higher to make him sound more like a little kid, but I'm not sure.  I personally liked Petrie's voice when it was deeper.

As for Ducky, I think her voice got deeper because she was getting older and they didn't want to get another actor to voice her.

Dr. Curzon

• Spike
    • View Profile
Maybe Petrie got another bump on the head.  :smile Just saying.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I looked at the voice actor and he still was played by the same guy.

Dr. Curzon

• Spike
    • View Profile
^Yeah, and that kinda shocked me. I was thinking it was still the same voice actor from the original, until I found out it was the same person.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I actually liked the change in Petrie's voice after 4. I don't know why, but I didn't think the voice was right in the first three sequels. Considering that he is a kid, I expected his voice to sound younger. Once movie 5 came around, he started sounding younger and I really liked it.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I actually liked the change in Petrie's voice after 4. I don't know why, but I didn't think the voice was right in the first three sequels. Considering that he is a kid, I expected his voice to sound younger. Once movie 5 came around, he started sounding younger and I really liked it.

I'm glad you think that way...but aren't you at least sad that his low voice means that when they sing together it doesn't sound as good?

Note that we never saw his hatching...

maybe he's the Benjamin Button of LBT, which is why his grammar has gotten worse since the original and his voice higher.

Which would mean Petrie won't have much more time left.  :cry

OllyDirectioner

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I definitely think they either wanted to make him sound more either younger, more adorable, or both. :p

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTFan13,Apr 10 2012 on  02:37 PM
I agree that he should sound younger. However, his movie 5-present voice is too clearly the work of an adult putting on a high, cartoony voice, and it just doesn't work overall.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTFan13,Apr 10 2012 on  02:37 PM
Please tell me you're joking...his new voice took away a lot of my love for him  :lol