The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Chanson D'Ennui

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here's something I never quite understood:
Why was the song "Chanson D'Ennui" given its French title in the English releases?  I wish I could at least come up with a guess, but I haven't a clue, aside from the fact that perhaps the name sounds better than the translation "Song of Trouble" or "Song of Boredom" (I've heard both translations.  Which one is more accurate?)

Anyways, does anyone have any thoughts on why this song would have been given its French title?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I've been wondering about that too. I don't suppose we will ever know the answer for sure, but I strongly suppose that somebody involved in the production of the song has a foible for French. They sure could have come up with good English titles as well.
Make it "Song of solitude" and you even have an alliteration in it. "Brooding on Boredom" would have had a similar effect... well if some guy may have had a foible for French I mach have one for alliterations though with the "of" and "on" in between those are rather weak alliterations actually.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Considering Universal was bought by French media company, Vivendi, that would probably explain a French title.  No idea why it was left there, but that's all I could think of.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
^ Do you really think that such a change in the upper floors would result in one song of a movie aimed at kids to be given a French title? I don't really know, but it sounds a bit strange. Not everyone who watches the movie will even realize the French titele.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A bit strange, indeed.  Almost as strange as the movie Having a French-titled song in the first place.  I have yet to see any symbolism or allusion that the French name could be representing.  Perhaps a simple error in the credits is all, but it is a very unique error, if it is one.

Not everyone who watches the movie will even realize the French titele.

That's true as well.  Until I did the recordings of all the LBT songs, I just assumed it was entitled "Boring," or something of that nature, until it came time to name the mp3 file.  I went into the credits, saw "Chanson D'Ennui" and was...well...confused  :blink:
It Had to be the song I recorded, but I couldn't figure out...why...lol

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jan 31 2006 on  05:36 PM
^ Do you really think that such a change in the upper floors would result in one song of a movie aimed at kids to be given a French title? I don't really know, but it sounds a bit strange. Not everyone who watches the movie will even realize the French titele.
No, but it happened right after the company takeover, so you can only wonder.  ;)  Like you said, probably nobody really cares that much if the title is in English or French...they'll probably just make their own title up or something.