The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

An Attempted Map Of The Lands

Almaron · 44 · 17804

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Whoa! I just realized this thread is over a year old now! :o (Just felt like mentioning that. *shrugs*)

If you want to think about this scientifically (as far as the dinosaurs’ ranges are concerned), then it would make the most sense for the Great Valley to be located in either Laramidia or the northwestern part of Appalachia (in what is now central Canada), as the vast majorityóif not the entiretyóof the North American dinosaurs in the series are only known from fossils found west of the Mississippi.

One potential problem is that, judging by the map, northwestern Appalachia is not very mountainous, and mountains are a prominent geographical feature in LBT. Laramidia, meanwhile, looks almost TOO mountainous. Also, since the climate was much warmer then, the Great Valley would have to be located quite far north if it were to receive snow, and northern Laramidia looks a little too narrow to me.

Personally, I think it would be more realistic for the LBT series to take place either before or after the period to which this map dates, perhaps when the Western Interior Seaway was less extensive.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Vek

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Kaelvek
Maybe i have all wrong, but...

On the back of the first movie pocket, it say 150 million years ago.

-150M years is the jurassic period (-199 to -145 Mya) not the Cretaceous (-145 to -65 Mya).

So the exact map should be this:

I see very well the Great Valley located at the bottom right of the interior sea, and this sea could be the Big Water.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
150 Million Years? I missed that on the DVD case; I'd best take another look at it.

Personally, I thought that the LBT series would need to take place in a fictional Mid-Cretaceous time. Too many Late Cretaceous dinosaurs have been shown for it to be Jurassic times. The good thing about the dinosaur fossil record, however, is that it's impossible to tell exactly when a species first arrived or died out (since fossils only form when the animal falls into something that quickly buries and preserves the body, such as river mud or desert sandstorms). So odd dinosaurs in the LBT series could be handwaved as being the last survivors of their species.

I also wondered for a while if the changing species could be the source of Longneck-Threehorn antagonism, because if you simplify things, Sauropods and Stegosaurs were the dominant Herbivores in the Jurassic, before being replaced by Hadrosaurs(I think) and Ceratopsians in the Cretaceous.

Vek

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Kaelvek
Hum, now i really dont know... I was watching The Stone of Cold Fire during the song Beyond the Mysterious Beyond. A scene do a zoom out from the Gang, then the Great Valley, then the planet... And i think i see the actual asian continent.

I see Japan, Corea, India, Philippines, Alaska and Australia.

The zoom out came from the green zone, in Mongolia/Russia.