The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How much has Topps changed?

Almaron · 14 · 2042

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
I think it's interesting, how much Cera's dad has changed since the first film.

He is still the same in the earlier films, voicing racism to Cera in the second film, and remaining superior in the third film. Grandpa Longneck saving his life may have heralded the change.

Interestingly, he is not present in the fourth film. Although he might not have been interested in meeting a longneck herd, he might have found it awkward to visit the potential deathbed of one who had been his rival for a while.

In the fifth, we see his old anger again, although this is out of fear for his families' survival. In the sixth, apart from complaining about Doc and the twins, he actually appears to be completely friendly, from casually talking with Grandpa Longneck, to even apologising for upsetting Littlefoot. The Topps of the older films would not have done that happily. He has changed for the better.

The rest of the films seem to show that despite keeping a short temper, he has a vague friendship with Littlefoot's family (Such as shown with the snowfight, or in nine, where he sends Littlefoot away. He was grumpy, but he acknowledged his existence, something the Topps of the early films would not have), and truly cares for the valley's denizens.

Something I wonder is, If something awful befell Littlefoot's Grandparents, would Topps actually take responsibility for Littlefoot? I can see him sympathising (And possibly being swayed by Tria and Cera). If he didn't, Ducky's mother would certainly look after him, and maybe even Petrie's mother (Although he wouldn't exactly be able to live with them in their high nest). But it's still an interesting thought. Despite his grumpiness, how much does he care?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Daddy Tops may be one of the most contested characters in the whole series. Personally I am kind of fond of him in spite of the fact that I would probably never get along with such a character in real lite. It may be because I thought a lot about him for a story I am writing which is titled "Old Threehorns".
There are Tops' extremely racist moments "Threehorns never play with longnecks!" and his outright prohibitions to Cera to do that in LBT 3. In later sequels his racism is of a less severe kind and seems to come through in times of distress in particular "I must blame someone, don't I?" while in less tense situations it comes across as more or a comic relief when it comes in a fashion of resigned acceptance that his daughter will never stop hanging out with all these hornless ;)
Since LBT 3 we never had a as outright an attempt of Tops to prevent his daughter's hanging out with the others as we had in LBT 3. So I suppose he is able to learn even though he might never want to admit it :lol
The TV series (episode forbidden friendship) however provides an example of even so caring and non-racist a character as Ducky's mum trying to impose a ban on Spike hanging out with Tippy (not so much racism but xenophobia I reckon) in a time of distress, so Tops is not the only one to act in such a way.
Speaking of Ducky's mother and adopted Spike makes me think of one other possible case of adoption. Now this is entirely my theory, but I am under the impression that Tops sort of adopted Dinah and Dana though they are not really part of his family. In the absence of any other sibling or parental character in Cera's family (the mysterious disappearance of Cera's mother is never explained) and with the distinct difference in color and number of horns Dinah and Dana don't really look like they were the same species of Threehorns. If my theory is right and if indeed Tops did addob two orphans (or took care of them during a temporary absence of their parents) it doesn't show him to be any less racist, but it does cast a light on his caring side.
We also see some rare moments of playfulness (actually we see him "play with a longneck" in LBT 8 when he snowballs Littlefoot's grandpa).
I find it very interesting how similar some of our thoughts are Almaron. There are two examples in your post.
Interestingly, he is not present in the fourth film. Although he might not have been interested in meeting a longneck herd, he might have found it awkward to visit the potential deathbed of one who had been his rival for a while.
I have been wondering about and regretting his absence in LBT 4 as well. Though I doubt he would ever admit it I am under the impression that Tops respects and even to some degree likes Littlefoot's grandfather. But the parents of every one of the other characters were totally non-present in LBT 4 which I found kind of odd given the important role Littlefoot's grandpa played in LBT 3 already.
Something I wonder is, If something awful befell Littlefoot's Grandparents, would Topps actually take responsibility for Littlefoot? I can see him sympathising (And possibly being swayed by Tria and Cera). If he didn't, Ducky's mother would certainly look after him, and maybe even Petrie's mother (Although he wouldn't exactly be able to live with them in their high nest). But it's still an interesting thought. Despite his grumpiness, how much does he care?
Funnily enough I have been planning (I am dreadfully slow when it comes to actually writing down) a story about this. There is an event (spoiler avoided) which forces Littlefoot's grandparents to go on a potentially dangerous journey outside the Great Valley. Before leaving Littlefoot's grandpa asks Tops to take care of Littlefoot much to the dismay of both Tops (who has no real alternative but to accept being asked in front of everybody and with the fact that the reason for the journey of Littlefoot's grandparents is the benefit of the whole Great Valley) and Littlefoot. There are so many possibilities in such a story. The longneck in the threehorn family. I am not going too much into the details and ideas here but I have a lot of scenes in mind with a whole range of emotion from very funny to quite sad in mind.

Tria would be a very own chapter in the development of Tops she kind of came out of nowhere to then take a relatively prominent role in LBT. I have no major objections against her and sometimes enjoy seeing that Tops has found his master or rather mistress, but I would certainly like to learn about whatever happened to Cera's mother.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I did not like him in the earlier films, but since he's softened up somewhat, he's grown on me quite a bit :yes.  I like him a lot more now.

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
it is now a grumpy old codger,(in place for his near evil appearance)

and you know what? maybe it is better that it stays so! :exactly

dragoonanime

• Ruby
    • View Profile
sometimes it seemed like topps get more development in the old movies. In some of them he learned a leason.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I think Mr. Threehorn as well as character like Pterano has had some the most interesting character developments in the whole series.

To be honest though, I wish LBT would do something like having a series before the gang of seven (or five), like when Mr. Three Horn and the other adults were kids, just to see a different perspective on life. Mr. Three Horn definitely grew up in a racist and rough and tumble community, mostly because he had to. The Great Valley is supposed to represent a "promised land" for dinosaurs, so I'm thinking Mr. Threehorn had some doubts whether or not he wanted to travel with other species. But he definitely has become a bit nicer as the series went on.

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
Topps has changed a lot. His racism has lessen over the years and that is a good thing.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I still don't like him much, but I HATED him in the first 3 movies.  Didn't like Cera much either.  In fact, if it weren't for the last 7 movies or so, I don't think I'd like Cera like I do now.  Tops is okay.  Tria really softened him up.  Another part of this could be his age.  He's not "20" anymore and has begun to die down a bit.  Having a girlfriend (and later mate) that's so mellow about the things he seems to care about so much (ie threehorn superiority) helps too.  I don't think he's much different than Mr. Clubtail though.  Wonder how old that guy is?

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I don't mind about how much Topsy has changed. Personally, I think it's good that he's not as racist as he was in the earlier films. Sure, he can still be grumpy sometimes, but that's probably a good thing. :p

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
But I think Topps has also became much wiser. Considering his actions in the TV series and his extreme solutions in LBT 3

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
He isn't my favorite character, but we do see his racism and temper lessen in the later sequals.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTDiclonius,Dec 30 2010 on  09:34 PM
He isn't my favorite character, but we do see his racism and temper lessen in the later sequals.
True, especially after the birth of Tricia.  She's got him wrapped around her teeny weenie nasal horn :DD.

Bruton the Iguanodon

True, especially after the birth of Tricia. She's got him wrapped around her teeny weenie nasal horn .

Call me cruel---it's not that I don't like the "new" Topps, but I really miss the old one. It's not that I liked his racist side, but I don't like the idea of Tricia softening him up---it's one thing for a character to learn his lesson, but another for him/her to become a completely different character. I thought the personality Topps had from 6-9 was good enough.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I've always liked how slow and natural his progression as a character was. Each time we see him, he's just a little more accepting as time goes on, but his racism and temper never fully leave him for long, long time. It's shockingly realistic, because you can't just overcome a mindset easily, but it can be done.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf