The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How is Doc still alive?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
@DarkHououmon, I had actually suggested that myself. That Doc could be the son of the Lone Dinosaur.
^ In which case the lone dinosaur would not have been quite so lonely (same as Doc) after all. Also there seems to be a kind of hereditary inclination of getting a big scar (though, since we don't know how exactly the legend tells about the looks and whereabouts of the lone dinosaur's scar this is not necessarily as unlikely as it may appear).

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I'm not sure if living with at least one other dinosaur would be enough to disqualify a dino as "the lone dinosaur". After all, far as I know, Littlefoot still thought of Doc as the "lone dinosaur" even after Doc brought his mate to the Great Valley.

Even the legend that this idea spawned from, "the lone ranger", the ranger isn't actually alone; he has his horse to keep him company.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Quote from: Malte279,Feb 19 2010 on  02:54 AM
@DarkHououmon, I had actually suggested that myself. That Doc could be the son of the Lone Dinosaur.
^ In which case the lone dinosaur would not have been quite so lonely (same as Doc) after all. Also there seems to be a kind of hereditary inclination of getting a big scar (though, since we don't know how exactly the legend tells about the looks and whereabouts of the lone dinosaur's scar this is not necessarily as unlikely as it may appear).
Just because one is a loner doesn't mean they don't have anybody. I myself am a bit of a loner but that doesn't mean that I still don't have any friends, it just means I mostly prefer being with myself.

The Lone Dinosaur could have had  quite a few friends yet namely prefered time to himself. That may not even be what the title is referring to. It could just mean that he was a single (lone) dinosaur squaring off against a really mean sharptooth.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
The Lone Ranger had Tonto with him all the time, so "Lone" may not mean perpetually alone in this sense, and anyway, I think the "Lone Dinosaur" is a definite nod to him.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
If I may, I don't think Doc is the Lone Dinosaur at all. I think he just looks the way Littlefoot pictured him and then after that it was mistaken identity.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Maybe when each "Lone Dinosaur" gets too old, they hand down their mantle to someone new, who stays the Lone Dinosaur. Kind of like the Dread Pirate Roberts, or the Phantom (the newspaper comic, not the musical).

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Quote from: Almaron,Feb 21 2010 on  01:35 PM
Maybe when each "Lone Dinosaur" gets too old, they hand down their mantle to someone new, who stays the Lone Dinosaur. Kind of like the Dread Pirate Roberts, or the Phantom (the newspaper comic, not the musical).
That's a good theory too.

"No one would surrender to the Dread Pirate Westley."
Much less "Dread Pirate Cummerbund" XD

The Lone Ranger had Tonto with him all the time, so "Lone" may not mean perpetually alone in this sense, and anyway, I think the "Lone Dinosaur" is a definite nod to him.
I thought the horse's name was Silver...unless you're talking about some one else.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
You know, before I watched the TV episode "The Lone Dinosaur Returns", I assumed that the Lone Dinosaur was some sort of supernatural entity.

But now the TV episode puts a hole in that theory so I guess he is just an ordinary dinosaur who happens to look like the legendary Lone Dinosaur.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Serris,Mar 16 2010 on  11:07 AM
You know, before I watched the TV episode "The Lone Dinosaur Returns", I assumed that the Lone Dinosaur was some sort of supernatural entity.

But now the TV episode puts a hole in that theory so I guess he is just an ordinary dinosaur who happens to look like the legendary Lone Dinosaur.
This was the exact impression I had :exactly.  I really do wish they had left it a mystery.  I like the feel of Doc as a supernatural figure better :yes.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Personally, I knew Doc is old, but we don't know how old. Maybe he takes a lot of vitamin C?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe one of the places he visits had a fountain of youth that he takes sips from.  Or he may submerge himself into a Lazarus Pit at times, or some other method.

Reminds me of a semi serious semi non serious conversation a friend and I had a few years back concerning the movie tarzans.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Assumning Grandfather Longneck is 80 years old of course

Who said he's 80?! When I was 8 (Around the age the gang are thought to be) my grandpa was under 80. Grandpa can take down a sharptooth so he;s probably in his late sixties.

But yes it is frustrating that it's never stated if he is the lone dinosaur...only universal knows for sure and they aren't telling us  :anger  :confused

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
And I consider it a good thing if they leave that for us to make our mind up about. I certainly prefer that over having Star Trekized dinosaurs rammed down our throats at the end of LBT 7.

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
They probably did that to have our own imagination put to work and not have it put to work for us.

Bruton the Iguanodon

As much as I enjoyed Land Before Time 6, one thing seriously confused me: Near the end of the movie, as Grandpa Longneck and the kids are heading to Saurus Rock, Grandpa Longneck confesses that he doesn't exactly know the way and that he had only heard about it in stories told by his grandpa. Now how is that possible? If Doc is the original Lone Dinosaur, there's no way he could still be alive(I think Cera even points that out at some point in the movie) especially if he was around Grandpa Longneck's Grandpa's age.

So that got me to thinking. What if Doc isn't exactly the Lone Dinosaur from Grandpa Longneck's story?

There was never any saying for sure that he even was, so this idea didn't come as a surprise for me.

He could be the son of the Lone Dinosaur from the story. Which, in turn, would explain why he was stronger than Grandpa Longneck who was supposedly "younger" than him(It's seriously a lot to buy that Doc is supposed to be so much older yet he's somehow stronger than GL). Or the other two possibilities:

It's simply a huge, gaping plothole...OR...

Doc is a Highlander.

Or how bout a time traveler?!  :wow

They probably did that to have our own imagination put to work and not have it put to work for us.

Well, what's your theory then?

Bruton the Iguanodon

Dr. Curzon

• Spike
    • View Profile
I thought Doc was just a lone dinosaur look-alike. I mean, a lot of longnecks could do the same thing with a lot of practice, at least I think so.  :smile