The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Now here's a nice surprise we got today. Among the last remaining Equestria Girls shorts that never got an official YouTube release (two music videos, three "choose your own ending" shorts), one of the music videos just got its official YouTube release (apparently to celebrate International Women's Day). So, as I have always done, here's the link, followed by a brief review under the spoiler tag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qg5uZO2UOQ

Spoiler: ShowHide
The song in this video is performed by Flash Sentry's band, and the lyrics he sings are about how he's completely okay with being the supporting role to the Main 7 girls who are always using their magic to save the day. The video is a demonstration of this as the concert is interrupted by Micro Chips losing control of his giant toaster robot that's now going on a destructive rampage, and the seven girls pony up to fight back. At one point, Sunset Shimmer loses her magical necklace that's the source of her power, and Flash risks his life to get it back to her so she and her friends can finish off the giant robot.

Ever since the Equestria Girls series went from the once-a-year movies to a series of shorts and one-hour specials, Flash Sentry's role has notably been diminished to the point of practically becoming a background character. This music video shows us his true thoughts regarding where he stands in comparison to the main girls, and it seems he has happily embraced his supporting role. There's no need for him to be a macho guy when those girls have already proven themselves capable of dealing with whatever trouble heads their way, and he's totally cool with that. And of course, there's that bit of shipping tease between him and Sunset seen in the video.

Since this seems to have been for a special occasion, it's doubtful we'll see any more new official YouTube releases (after all, in addition to the four aforementioned shorts, there's also two more music videos from the previous season that still haven't gotten an official YouTube release), but I'll remain hopeful that we'll eventually have them easily available for all to watch.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This week has seen the release of the Equestria Girls comic (which I've certainly been looking forward to see), along with issue #88 of the main series - the last one before the start of the Season 10 series of comics.

However, due to everything around the world shutting down for you-know-what, all future comic releases (which, yes, includes the first part of the Season 10 series that was due to release next week) have been postponed indefinitely.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2020/03/diamond-comic-distributors-to-shut-down.html
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2020/03/idw-suspends-all-may.html
I guess it was inevitable, and I suppose that if it had to happen, this is actually a good point for the MLP comic series to go into indefinite hiatus (like I said, the latest issue that did get released is the last one before the Season 10 series was due to start).

- Berix

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Ooh, fellow pony fans!! :Mo

I have mixed feelings on the Season 10 comics, considering that some of the previous comic storylines have been difficult to fit into MLP canon (though I've enjoyed them anyway). Is this "Season 10" stuff just a rebrand of the regular FiM comics, or is it going to ignore characters and plots from previous comics (seems unlikely) and use only the show for reference? Guess we'll just have to see...

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
Ooh, fellow pony fans!! :Mo

Should I be surprised or not that every single member that joins the GOF is an MLP fan? :Mo :lol

@RainbowFaceProtege: How many seasons of MLP: FiM have you watched? Personally, I watched every single episode...well eh, not exactly. I skipped some episodes of Season 9 because at that point, my interest for the show was dwindling and I started getting tired of watching it...especially since my mind is being occupied by other shows now. I still love MLP and most of the characters, but I’ve moved on from the show for the most part. I still like listening to the music, making numerous references from the show, and reading MLP fanfics, but other than that I’m done. I also look forward to the Season 10 comics, which have unfortunately been delayed.

My favorite pony as of now is Pinkie Pie! What’s yours? :Mo

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Should I be surprised or not that every single member that joins the GOF is an MLP fan? :Mo :lol
Probably not, haha...we like our friendship-oriented musicals! :lol

I've seen almost the entire show! Only thing I've missed is a lot of the Season 9 episodes. I went to YouTube for a handful that I just had to see, but aside from that I'm waiting on Netflix to pick up that season. My pony phase, too, faded out for a few years, but lately I've started re-watching the show, and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm also looking forward to the Season 10 comics! It's too bad they had to be delayed, but I understand why. I've been diving into the comics more than ever lately. Now that the show's over, I gotta get my pony fix somewhere!

Not surprised, you definitely strike me as a Pinkie Pie person. :PAli My favorite "pony" is actually Discord. :p I love his humor and what a soft side he develops as the show keeps going. Though I was pretty disappointed with how they used him in the Season 9 finale...
It made him look pretty dumb IMO for him to think that such a shabby plan wasn't going to go awry somehow. I think he would've kept better control of things than that. And considering the Season 4 finale, I just can't believe he would ever think letting Tirek loose was a good idea!

For my favorite main character, hmm...I'm between Fluttershy and Twilight. Back outside the main cast, I also like Celestia and Luna--the comics and episodes where you get to see their everyday lives are hilarious! :lol

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Not surprised, you definitely strike me as a Pinkie Pie person. :PAli My favorite "pony" is actually Discord. :p I love his humor and what a soft side he develops as the show keeps going. Though I was pretty disappointed with how they used him in the Season 9 finale...
It made him look pretty dumb IMO for him to think that such a shabby plan wasn't going to go awry somehow. I think he would've kept better control of things than that. And considering the Season 4 finale, I just can't believe he would ever think letting Tirek loose was a good idea!

For my favorite main character, hmm...I'm between Fluttershy and Twilight. Back outside the main cast, I also like Celestia and Luna--the comics and episodes where you get to see their everyday lives are hilarious! :lol

Honestly, I really wanted to like Discord a lot and to regard him as one of my favorite MLP characters, I really did. But the way the writers portrayed him and made him do stupid actions and decisions all the time (like you said yourself) has really dimmed my perception of him overall. I really dig his relationship with Fluttershy, Big Mac, and Spike, but other than that he's been unnecessarily rude to the other characters. I wouldn't mind if it were sometimes, since being snarky seems to be part of his personality, but doing it all the time is just overkill.

Yeah, I was shocked as well that this "Grogar" turned out to be Discord this entire time? I thought he would be smart enough to keep all of his released villains in check, but ugh, I guess I should've known better.
:bang

Funnily enough, my favorite pony before Pinkie Pie was actually Fluttershy. :p

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Honestly, I really wanted to like Discord a lot and to regard him as one of my favorite MLP characters, I really did. But the way the writers portrayed him and made him do stupid actions and decisions all the time (like you said yourself) has really dimmed my perception of him overall. I really dig his relationship with Fluttershy, Big Mac, and Spike, but other than that he's been unnecessarily rude to the other characters. I wouldn't mind if it were sometimes, since being snarky seems to be part of his personality, but doing it all the time is just overkill.

Yeah, I was shocked as well that this "Grogar" turned out to be Discord this entire time? I thought he would be smart enough to keep all of his released villains in check, but ugh, I guess I should've known better.

You'd have preferred it was the actual Grogar?  I had no problem with what Discord did.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: f-22 &quot;raptor&quot; ace on March 30, 2020, 10:35:54 PM
Quote from: f-22 "raptor" ace on March 30, 2020, 10:35:54 PM

You'd have preferred it was the actual Grogar?  I had no problem with what Discord did.

Well, I have no opinion on that actually. I never even knew Grogar was an actual character from Gen 1 until his first reveal in Season 9. I wouldn't have had a problem in the end...if Discord was actually successful in his plan. Like ugh, this is not the first time he screwed up in his actions.
:facepalm

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, I can't deny that Discord spends much of his time being a jerk. No beating around the bush there! :rolleye I actually used to dislike him quite a bit, but after Season 4 he somehow began growing on me. I realize he's not everyone's cup of tea, though. The way his personality demands attention both from the other characters and from the viewer every time he shows up probably contributes to how fans are divided between loving and hating him...not a lot of neutral ground. I was disappointed that certain episodes involving him (What About Discord, Matter of Principals, the show finale) did not fit with the character arc they'd been giving him earlier at all. I wish the fan theory that he'd actually been trying to trick the villains into reforming when he released them would've been correct--that would've been far, far better development for him.

Did I mention that when director Jim Miller was interviewed on the season finale, he said that having Discord be Grogar made sense considering Discord's weird logic, then went on to say Discord was his favorite character?? Just--gahh--what--WHY would you give your favorite character such a poor ending at the finale of the show? How could you twist his development for the sake of some "big reveal" that, no matter what you may have thought, DOESN'T make sense?? You betrayed me and the rest of your fellow Discord fans, man!!

*Sigh*...Nevertheless, though I can sit here and go on about all this, I've never been able to bring myself to quit liking Discord again. Who am I kidding here? I get a kick out of wordplay and visual gags, and this guy delivers them in buckets. More than that, his unlikely friendships with Fluttershy and the guys always make me love him again regardless of how much he's screwed things up. Call it Fluttershy syndrome! :lol

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, I can't deny that Discord spends much of his time being a jerk. No beating around the bush there! :rolleye I actually used to dislike him quite a bit, but after Season 4 he somehow began growing on me. I realize he's not everyone's cup of tea, though. The way his personality demands attention both from the other characters and from the viewer every time he shows up probably contributes to how fans are divided between loving and hating him...not a lot of neutral ground. I was disappointed that certain episodes involving him (What About Discord, Matter of Principals, the show finale) did not fit with the character arc they'd been giving him earlier at all. I wish the fan theory that he'd actually been trying to trick the villains into reforming when he released them would've been correct--that would've been far, far better development for him.

Did I mention that when director Jim Miller was interviewed on the season finale, he said that having Discord be Grogar made sense considering Discord's weird logic, then went on to say Discord was his favorite character?? Just--gahh--what--WHY would you give your favorite character such a poor ending at the finale of the show? How could you twist his development for the sake of some "big reveal" that, no matter what you may have thought, DOESN'T make sense?? You betrayed me and the rest of your fellow Discord fans, man!!

Now that you mention this fan theory, I agree. And yet, we end up with Discord screwing up everything once again, and he and the others had to rely on the Mane Six to set things right again. Yes, we as humans are bound to make mistakes once in awhile, but it seems like something Discord somehow commits on a daily basis. I do admit, Discord utilizing his cunning style to trick the villains into freeing Starlight Glimmer was pretty cool on his part, but does it really make up for the mistake he had done earlier? The Mane Six believes so, but as for me, I'm not so sure.

Also, hasn't Discord essentially thrown "temper tantrums" in the past because the other characters leave him out on certain things? Like when he doesn't get to be the head principal of Twlight's School when she was out of town? I know how he feels, but he should realize that the world doesn't revolve around him and there's a reason Twilight Sparkle chose Starlight Glimmer over him. And he only stopped after Starlight said sorry to him. Talk about her appeasing to the aggressor of all things, the one that turned into a ghost and terrorized the school just because he was rejected a position in Twilight's school. Yikes. :sducky

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: f-22 &quot;raptor&quot; ace on March 30, 2020, 10:35:54 PM
Quote from: f-22 "raptor" ace on March 30, 2020, 10:35:54 PM

Well, I have no opinion on that actually. I never even knew Grogar was an actual character from Gen 1 until his first reveal in Season 9. I wouldn't have had a problem in the end...if Discord was actually successful in his plan. Like ugh, this is not the first time he screwed up in his actions.
sorry I thought you were familiar with the older generations. while i disagree with your opinion I respect it.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Also, hasn't Discord essentially thrown "temper tantrums" in the past because the other characters leave him out on certain things? Like when he doesn't get to be the head principal of Twlight's School when she was out of town? I know how he feels, but he should realize that the world doesn't revolve around him and there's a reason Twilight Sparkle chose Starlight Glimmer over him. And he only stopped after Starlight said sorry to him. Talk about her appeasing to the aggressor of all things, the one that turned into a ghost and terrorized the school just because he was rejected a position in Twilight's school. Yikes. :sducky

That's my biggest problem with Discord's characterization in the later seasons. At that point in the show, the only Discord episodes I re-watch much are the ones with Spike and Big Mac, because everything else just completely backtracked on Discord's character development.

Now that you mention this fan theory, I agree. And yet, we end up with Discord screwing up everything once again, and he and the others had to rely on the Mane Six to set things right again.
:(petrie When the fans know what should have happened more so than the actual writers of a show did, it's a sad day for a series.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That's my biggest problem with Discord's characterization in the later seasons. At that point in the show, the only Discord episodes I re-watch much are the ones with Spike and Big Mac, because everything else just completely backtracked on Discord's character development.

Yep, and also the episodes where Fluttershy and Discord are together. :wub
But other than that, those other episodes with him were annoying at best.

:(petrie When the fans know what should have happened more so than the actual writers of a show did, it's a sad day for a series.

Even before I lost almost all interest in watching MLP again, I did notice an overall downward trend in the quality of the episodes in my opinion. :(

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yep, and also the episodes where Fluttershy and Discord are together. :wub

Ooh, yes! It's too bad they dropped those episodes altogether in the last two seasons. Yesterday I was re-watching the last one, "Discordant Harmony" from Season 7, and...squeeeeeeeee!!! Discord and Fluttershy are so adorbs with each other!!! (Though I don't actually go as far as to ship them, but they're just cute in any case!!) Several of my favorite MLP episodes ever involve these two! :DD

Even before I lost almost all interest in watching MLP again, I did notice an overall downward trend in the quality of the episodes in my opinion. :(
Yeah...I agree, which is too bad. :rhett_sad Even though I was so sad when the show ended, I guess it was probably a good time for things to stop. They just spent too much time focusing on characters that I didn't find very interesting, not to mention there seemed to be one OOC moment after another from the characters who'd been established for a while. And then there was that Cozy Glow...well, I'd better not even go there! :anger

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ooh, yes! It's too bad they dropped those episodes altogether in the last two seasons. Yesterday I was re-watching the last one, "Discordant Harmony" from Season 7, and...squeeeeeeeee!!! Discord and Fluttershy are so adorbs with each other!!! (Though I don't actually go as far as to ship them, but they're just cute in any case!!) Several of my favorite MLP episodes ever involve these two! :DD

Yeah...I agree, which is too bad. :rhett_sad Even though I was so sad when the show ended, I guess it was probably a good time for things to stop. They just spent too much time focusing on characters that I didn't find very interesting, not to mention there seemed to be one OOC moment after another from the characters who'd been established for a while. And then there was that Cozy Glow...well, I'd better not even go there! :anger

I love how Discord would literally do anything to protect Fluttershy, while at the same time being apathetic to almost everyone else. :lol

I guess that what happens when a show goes on for far too long. I mean, look at Spongebob for example. It was only supposed to go on for 3 Seasons after the Spongebob movie, but after Stephen Hillenburg stepped down, the other producers and writers took over and kept going. Season 4 was still pretty good in my opinion, but Season 5 and onward saw decreased episode quality and character degradation (ugh, Patrick Star!) Stephen Hillenburg did return recently for the latter half of Season 9 and also Season 10 as an executive producer, but unfortunately he was diagnosed with ALS and died quite awhile ago. R.I.P. :(

I think there was one particular episode in Season 7 that I really loathed after watching it. It was called Fame and Misfortune. I don't remember much unfortunately since it has been a long time since watching it (and I really don't want to), but I do recall everyone in that episode acting ridiculously stupid. Like ugh, nothing sensible was going on in the episode at all.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I love how Discord would literally do anything to protect Fluttershy, while at the same time being apathetic to almost everyone else. :lol
^^^ yep, yep, yep, yep, yep :lol

I never watched Spongebob, but just seeing people talk about cartoons, I've noticed it's often used as an example of a show going on too long for its own good. PBS's Arthur is another example that comes to my mind...when traditional animation gets a bad Flash makeover, you know things are headed downhill. :p

Oh yeah, I remember "Fame and Misfortune." As practically a direct response to fan reception of the show, I believe it was intended to be more of a tongue-in-cheek break in the fourth wall than anything else. I was just neutral on it...it was amusing enough at times, but it was too incoherently silly to become a favorite of mine.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh yeah, I remember "Fame and Misfortune." As practically a direct response to fan reception of the show, I believe it was intended to be more of a tongue-in-cheek break in the fourth wall than anything else. I was just neutral on it...it was amusing enough at times, but it was too incoherently silly to become a favorite of mine.

Honestly, I thought that the idea of ponies raving about whose friendship lessons were better was just ludicrous. There's always value in each lesson, no matter how insignificant or how known the lesson is. I felt so bad for the Mane 6 in that episode, the entire town was being a bunch of buffoons and morons. Damn, I was thinking if those ponies haven't learned anything about friendship from the Mane 6. Perhaps they should all go to Friendship School. :lol

But yeah, even when the Mane 6 sung their "Dexus ex Melody", it didn't do anything to soothe the tensions of the town. Honestly, I'm not sure if I prefer that the song fixed the issue or not. Because if it did, then it'd be such a cliche.
:thinking

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Honestly, I thought that the idea of ponies raving about whose friendship lessons were better was just ludicrous. There's always value in each lesson, no matter how insignificant or how known the lesson is. I felt so bad for the Mane 6 in that episode, the entire town was being a bunch of buffoons and morons. Damn, I was thinking if those ponies haven't learned anything about friendship from the Mane 6. Perhaps they should all go to Friendship School. :lol

And that's how Twilight's idea for the School of Friendship was born! :lol

In the context of the canon, the episode's premise is definitely ridiculous. I have to admit, however, that I'd hardly consider it to be an episode that was meant to be taken into canon in the first place. I interpreted it as more of a self-aware "ponies react to fandom flame wars" inside joke.

Twilight and friends venture into the land of cutthroat wiki debates and YouTube trolls, where they find that the lessons they were created to teach in the first place have fallen on deaf ears! Fans are at each other's throats over best ponies and magically-materializing princess wings! Will the Mane 6 be able to squash fandom fights with the magic of friendship? Nah, these silly fans'll never learn--but that's alright, because the Mane 6 are happy with who they are even if some fans aren't. (Besides, the little girls they were targeting in the first place have been getting the point of the show all along, and that's what really matters!) :p

I think one of the things that threw off the episode is that they made it look as if the fan ponies were the ones that were going to have to learn a lesson, but instead, the Mane 6 ended up teaching each other the lesson about self-acceptance. The flow of the episode just didn't make much sense.

Discord: Oh, what fun is there in making sense?
Me: Discord, stop trying to weasel into this thread again!! This has nothing to do with you anymore, and you're gonna have to live with that!

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've seen almost the entire show! Only thing I've missed is a lot of the Season 9 episodes. I went to YouTube for a handful that I just had to see, but aside from that I'm waiting on Netflix to pick up that season. My pony phase, too, faded out for a few years, but lately I've started re-watching the show, and I'm really enjoying it.

While Season 9 is still not yet available on Netflix, it has recently become available on Hulu, if you're interested.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2020/04/the-rest-of-my-little-pony-season-9-is.html

- Berix

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

While Season 9 is still not yet available on Netflix, it has recently become available on Hulu, if you're interested.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2020/04/the-rest-of-my-little-pony-season-9-is.html

I don't have Hulu, but thanks for letting me know about this anyway! I'm glad to know this season's at least starting to become available for streaming now!