The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

2014 FIFA World Cup

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Tomorrow will be the first match of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. That match will be between Brazil and Croatia. I've also read about something rather special planned for the ceremonial first kick, so I'll try to see if I can watch this tomorrow.

Based on what I've been reading online, I don't have high hopes for team USA this time, not that they're a poor team at all but rather they simply got rotten luck in terms of which teams they'll be up against in their group: Germany, Portugal, and Ghana.

For this World Cup, I'd like to see Brazil win. They may have won a record five champions, but they are also the only champion nation (besides Spain) to have never won one of those champions while they were the host country. I think it would be nice to see that change.

For those of you who will be following this, who do you think will win the championship this time?

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Germany and Spain are most likely the win the championship. Brazil isn't particularly strong now. But of course I'm rooting for Croatia. I think that with some luck we can beat Brazil today, or at least get a draw.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I will be watching the important matches, I believe. Though most of them are really late and maybe "too" late for me to watch at school days :(
Anyway, I think jansenov's guess is pretty good. Spain has been a tough opponent in the last few years (I believe they defeated Germany in the Europe Cup two years ago) and Germany is always getting good results :) I wouldn't rule out Brazil, the Netherlands, France and England though and who knows if an outsider comes far somehow ;)
My hope is that Germany wins, obviously :DD
Inactive, probably forever.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Brazil was better, but not as good as the result 3:1 indicates. The referee denied a pure goal to Croatia. It should have been 3:2.

Has anyone else watched the game? What do you think?

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As far as I'm aware, the referee made only one controversial call, and that was giving a penalty kick that allowed Brazil to score their second goal.

The broadcast I watched showed a demonstration of some technology being used for the first time in a World Cup that basically helps determine whether or not the ball actually ended up within the goal. There were no goals close enough in this first match to require it, but I'm sure it'll prove useful eventually.

I don't have the time to watch every match, so for the group matches, I will be watching only the ones with Brazil or the US. The next one I'll be watching is US vs Ghana on Monday.

- Berix

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^That too. But just before the goal was disallowed in the 84th minute it could be clearly be seen that the Croatian player didn't touch the ball with his arm, but with his head.

But OK, what's done is done. I've read some of the English-language media's reviews of the match, and they all agree that the referee did a quite poor job. I hope he never gets the opportunity to be in a match of this importance again.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
After the early goal for Croatia I was very much in favor of them winning. They played on a very similar level with Brasil so the game should have ended in a draw. The referee was quite poor indeed!

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The referees are on a roll. Today they've robbed Mexico of two regular goals, calling offsides where there were none. After the shameful episode with France and Ireland 4 years ago, FIFA has a huge referee problem that can't be swept under the rug anymore.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^Yep, the referee was poor again.

The Netherlands destroyed Spain!!! 5:1!!!

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^I know! Amazing gameplay by the Dutch! If they can keep it up, they will be champions.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Well, Chile did win it's first game in this World Cup... let's hope we'll do much better than last time, hehehe :smile .

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Chiletrek,Jun 14 2014 on  12:25 PM
Hello:
 Well, Chile did win it's first game in this World Cup... let's hope we'll do much better than last time, hehehe :smile .
Yep they kicked Australia's butt.

Australian team sucks..

And thats coming from me-an Australian...our next rivals is Netherlands...then Spain...why...why...

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nahla,Jun 14 2014 on  04:54 AM
Quote from: Chiletrek,Jun 14 2014 on  12:25 PM
Hello:
Yep they kicked Australia's butt.

Australian team sucks..

And thats coming from me-an Australian...our next rivals is Netherlands...then Spain...why...why...
Hello:
 Well, you are not the only one suffering because of Netherlands and Spain, we are suffering aswell so let's hope Spain's desperation will somehow play in our favor, hehehe. Both our countries got quite a challenging group, hehehe.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Costa Rica wins 3:1, clearly being the underdog, I might add. Great game and one that lacks of wrong decisions :)

Did anybody watch Columbia vs. Greece? I only got a short insight around min 30. Columbia had one goal at that time.

Looking forward to England vs. Italy. I'm for England :)

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^I didn't get to see it. I'll try to watch England vs Italy. I'm for Italy. :smile

I'm also sorry Australia lost the way it did. It has made tremendous strides in football in the last decade (changing from a total outsider to a team that can hold its own in qualifications), plus there are alway at least several Croats playing in their team, and that's why in Croatia the Australian team is humorously refered to as "Croatia II".

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Although I haven't been following most of the matches so far, I have been reading post-game summaries online. Remember that new goal-line technology I mentioned earlier? Apparently, that was used for the first time in today's France vs Honduras match (which France won 3-0). Apparently, the Honduras goalie accidentally knocked the ball passed the goal line as he tried pull it away from the goal. Many people didn't trust the call at first, likely because they were watching their TV that showed only one angle. The new goal-line technology uses seven cameras around the goal to definitively show if the ball went past the goal line, and if that does happen, the referees are immediately informed by a device on their wrist. In other words, no more bad calls on whether or not a goal was scored.

Tomorrow, I will be watching the match between USA and Ghana (and maybe the Germany vs Portugal match, too). Compared to the American team, those three other teams are pretty good (which is why many people online have been calling it "the Group of Death"). Of the other three teams, I think Ghana is the most likely one for USA to beat. I'm not expecting much, but upsets have already happened, so we'll see.

- Berix

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Bosnia made a very good impression. Indeed, there are no more bad calls on whether the ball crossed the goal line or not, but in the first matches there were quite a few bad calls in situations very near the gate, which led to the ball crossing the goal line and the goal subsequently being annuled. I hope this clears any misunderstandings.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I can only second the usefulness of the new technology :) Saw France-Honduras...

Well, I'm almost bouncing around due to the excitement. Germany is going to play in 30 mins :smile

I would love to watch USA-Ghana but my sleep is more important, I reckon... Would start at midnight and I gotta get up around 6am  <_<

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Portuguese defence entered the game with a very lax attitude. A wholly deserved 2:0 for Germany after only 30 minutes of play. Go Germany!

Still, I don't think Pepe deserved that second yellow card. Some theatrics were shown by the German player.

Whoa. 3:0 for Germany.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It ended 4:0 :celebrate Thomas M¸ller made three goals. He should have the most goals in the cup currently :)