The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Always There MIDI

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Howdy everyone, another LBT MIDI is complete!

I know it's been a long time coming, but I have finally gotten around to completing a MIDI of Always There from LBT 5.  I optimized the volume balancing for the Microsoft GS MIDI syntheizer, found on most computers, so hopefully it sounds decent on your computer. B)  if my No One Has To Be Alone MIDI sounds good on your computer, this one probably will too.

This one presented some unique challenges, one of the most difficult was getting a guitar to strum in MIDI.  That takes a bit of fancy footwork, so to speak. :p   The next challenge was finding 4 MIDI instruments that blend well together, to represent the vocal's voice AND were capable of sustaining long notes with other voices singing in harmony.  This ruled out xylophones, vibraphones, pianos, and similar instruments because the notes don't hold long enough.

I ended up choosing, for the voices:
Ducky: Clarinet
Cera: Trumpet
Littlefoot: English Horn
Petrie: Tenor Saxophone

Hmm, looks like this MIDI wins the "Largest file size for an LBT MIDI" award, at 224 kb! :lol

After some careful tweaking, I think the MIDI is good enough to release to the LBT community!  Enjoy! B)

http://www.angelfire.com/az3/action9000/lbt.html

As always, I like feedback!  Any criticisms you have are much appreciated, and will help me in the future.  Thanks. B)

Petrie, I tested this on the soundfont I expect you will be playing it with.  It sounded okay on my end, but some of the strings/backgound sustained notes are too loud.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Very nicely done!

Incredibly accurate and very beautiful with the choices.

Always There was my favorite for several years before I got out of my slump and caught up with LBT.

In fact, back then, I had made my own version of the song itself.  The ONLY difference in it really was when Ducky said "tail" I had replaced it with "arms".  I must admit that it's good both ways.

It's still one of my top ten to this day, coming at a nice number 5.  So it even makes the top 5 for me. :)

Anyways, great job, Action.

Keep it up and you'll definately get a great carrer out of it. :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you Pokeplayer! B)  You're lucky to heave heard this song so many years ago.  I only watched LBT 5 for the first time shortly after I joined up with this forum.  I can imagine this being one of those songs that would stick with a young person for a long time.  

Incredibly accurate and very beautiful with the choices.
And that's why my MIDIs take so long to produce (well, that and I'm not very good with time management. :lol ).  I consider myself as working fairly carefully, making sure that basically every note in my MIDIs matches that of the originals, using no electronic means to do so.  It's all done manually, which is what takes so long.  As a result, my work will never have any of the junk that appears with MP3 -> MIDI conversion programs, as I never use MP3 -> MIDI conversion programs.    Everything I will post here is hand-made.  It takes longer, but it's worth it! :wow

Admittedly, it does take a bit of practice and ear-training (being able to figure out a pitch by listening to it and checking it against a reference, like a keyboard) to be able to do this.  Some music theory knowledge doesn't hurt either, since one can use that logic to help figure out notes and recognize patterns if one knows the theory behind the music.  I've been duplicating music (for better or for worse) in basic forms for as long as I've been able to sit at a keyboard and plunk out notes.  I've been writing MIDI files since I was 13.  I should be reasonably good at it by now, 7 years later. :wow

I very much enjoyed the song, but I must admit, this wasn't my favorite MIDI to produce.  There was a lot of detail work regarding balancing and a lot of notes to worry about (the piano and the guitar added up to a lot of notes to have to figure out!)

All in all, this provided a unique challenge, similar to a combination of Adventuring and No One Has To Be Alone, but with very tricky balancing concerns. :P:   Always There also has 15 instrument tracks, which is more than I expected I would use for this song.

I'll be posting up a (hopefully) high-quality MP3 of this MIDI in the near future, using my favorite virtual instruments, once I finish tweaking it.  I can't wait to hear what that will sound like.  it's coming along, but it needs a bit more work before I post it. B)

my question now, is what song should we do next?

Keep it up and you'll definately get a great carrer out of it.
With any luck, I can make a few bucks to compliment a day job.  There are too many people out there who can do music and MIDI work, unfortunately for people like me.  Oh well, it's more fun as a hobby anyway. :p  And you never know, I guess!

I can get the music quite accurate, but I'm SLOW!  It takes me forever to write a MIDI file, or compose music.  Always There took me basically 4 full days, working at a leisurely pace, and taking breaks.  That is something that will Kill me in the professional world.

The way I see it, a lot of less mainstream media (TV, movies, etc.) hasn't been touched by the online community to any extent.  Take MIDIs for example: The only LBT MIDI that was fairly easy to find was If We Hold On Together.  People just didn't make MIDIs of songs for the series.  That's what I want to do: I want to deliever something New, that nobody has brought to the world yet.  Many people have made MIDIs of popular songs and popular video game music, for example.  Surprisingly, Nobody has released MIDIs of LBT songs.  Some day, once I complete a few more LBT MIDIs, I'm going to locate a MIDI database site, one with a Children's section, and see if they'll host my work.  I will also attach my MIDIs to the lyrics site, so they are all easy to access.

I'm also working on a larger project as well: Duplicating the instrumental background music to each LBT film and making LBT series soundtracks using high-quality virtual instruments.  Obviously, I can't sell them as I dont own the rights to the original music, but I will post them here as I complete them.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Lovely!  :)
I first watched LBT 5 shortly after my LBT "revival" in December 1998. The power of that song (and the mention of Littlefoot's mother) strongly affected me. I recal wandering in nearby woods and on nearby hills huming the melody thinking about new stories to be written.
The English Horn is an interesting choice for Littlefoot.  :yes
I must try that one with the Midi I'm working on.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Hmmm....would you believe it sounds very different depending on what I use to open it?  Foobar2000 makes it sound synthesized.  Then I used Media Player Classic and voila...your list of instruments made some sense.  :lol:  As for sound, the whole thing was really quiet...I maxed out my soundcard and it still was really low.  :unsure:  But yes, the strings in the background are hardly noticable using my stuff.

Very nice indeed. :D

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hmmm....would you believe it sounds very different depending on what I use to open it? Foobar2000 makes it sound synthesized. Then I used Media Player Classic and voila...your list of instruments made some sense. As for sound, the whole thing was really quiet...I maxed out my soundcard and it still was really low. But yes, the strings in the background are hardly noticable using my stuff.
Ahh, the beauty of MIDI files; they sound different on everything you play em on. :P:

I did my best to balance it for as many sound cards / synthesizers as I could, but in order to get something sounding right on one, I had to make it sound worse on another, and vice versa.  I'm sure you know the deal by now, so I won't get into it again. :p  This MIDI doesn't sound fantastic on my soundfont because I didn't optimize it for my soundfont.  I know that few people use it, so it doesn't make sense to balance a MIDI for it.

Foobar2000 makes it sound synthesized.
Check the MIDI device that foobar2000 is using for playback.  It sounds like it's using the wrong synthesizer.  it should say something like "(card model) Synth A" or "(card model) Synth B".  if it says "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth", that is the one I balanced the MIDI for, but the sounds are very synthetic.  If you use the "Synth A" or "Synth B", the sounds will be a bit more realistic, but the MIDI won't be as nicely balanced, volume-wise.  The catch?  Not everyone has a sound card with the "Synth A" or Synth B options.  :p  Hence why I balanced the MIDI for the Microsoft synth.

I promise, when I get the MP3 finished, all of these problems will be long gone. B)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hmmm....would you believe it sounds very different depending on what I use to open it?
While I didn't have that problem with any of Tim's midis I have the problem that an instrument, which is supposed to sound like a big kettledrum sounds very metallic on my computer making one midi project I had in mind impossible to create.  :(

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have one suggestion for you, Malte.  If this doesn't work, I'm afraid the problem is your sound card, and it cannot be remedied without upgrading your soundcard.

Here is the plan:

Create a new staff, right click it and to go Staff Properties...
under the MIDI tab, change it to channel 10.  This will turn the staff into a percussion staff.  Every note will play a different percussion instrument.

Now, we need to get it to use the Orchestral percussion set, which includes kettle drums.  Do to this, change the instrument (also found in the same Staff Properties window) to "Choir Ahhs" (it's about 50th on the list of instruments, if I recall correctly).  This will change the percussion to Orchestral percussion.

Put a bass clef on the staff.  Try writing notes in the range of the staff, around the centre of the staff.  See what that sounds like.  You should get another, different kettle drum / timpani sound.  Hopefully it's better than the other one you've been trying. B)

If that isn't any better, I'm afraid there is no solution short of buying a new sound card (which isn't really cheap for a laptop :( ), or getting me to render your song to an Mp3 when it's complete (which I'm more than willing to do!) :yes

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As promised, here is a link to Two MP3 renders of my Always There MIDI, after some optimizing for the sound libraries used to record it.

http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/friendsalways/lbt.html

One of them contains the instruments playing the lines normally sung, as well as the background music. The other one has the singing tracks completely muted, so it contains only the background music for the song.

The instruments used for the vocals in this version are:
Ducky: Violin
Cera: Trumpet
Littlefoot: Clarinet
Petrie: Tenor Saxophone

The sound quality is good, though not always entirely convincing.  I did my best, but I may need some more practice using this software. :P:

Enjoy! B)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Nicely done. Not as good as the original song, but very nice.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Nicely done. Not as good as the original song, but very nice.
Nothing will ever be able to replace the original song, no question about that. B)
Well...perhaps if a band went and perfomed it live in concert, that would be quite entertaining!  That's a feeling we can't get, even with the best computer software.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Nothing will ever be able to replace the original song, no question about that

While I would say so about "If we hold on together" (the Diana Ross version), I wouldn't say so here. Remember, it's the kids who are singing the version we know. Surely an adult singer would sound better?

As further proof, check out this youtube version, sung by a really good female singer acapella. This, in my opinion, is the best version of the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hNOnuAEGqA

Bruton the Iguanodon

Yeah, action9000...what you said about nothing being able to replace the original song, since there's never even been a cover of it, was just wrong. I'm sorry, but that's saying no one can outdo the original, when its kids singing in the original...MarzGurl even liked the song but critizied their voices. I'm sorry, but if, say, Evanescence covered this song, or Within Temptation, you might not be so sure about what you said.

TJSoundSource

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TJSoundSource
¬ ¬ ¬ Yeah, action9000...what you said about nothing being able to replace the original song, since there's never even been a cover of it, was just wrong. I'm sorry
Fair enough, but we'll never be able to reproduce the exact original song in the exact original context of the film. That's mainly what I was getting at. While covers can certainly sound 'better' than an original (it happens all the time), the original always has a level of 'geniuninity (is that a word? "level of genuineness" is the concept I'm going after :p ) that cannot be achieved with any cover - because it's not the original.

In Short, could ANY cover ever 100% replace the song in the film and work BETTER than the version we hear in the film? I would say no, simply because we are not the voice actors for the characters who are supposed to be singing.

For listening to on its own, I'm sure it's possible for a cover to sound better than the original. When placing a cover in the context of the film, I don't think anyone could make it work better than the original, for that reason alone. Any other vocals would simply sound out of place.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Well...perhaps if a band went and perfomed it live in concert, that would be quite entertaining!

Do it, Evanescence!!! :goodluck

PanickyPetrie14

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/dozyslumbers
This should be on jukeboxes :lol well done!  :DD

TJSoundSource

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TJSoundSource
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Dec 28 2011 on  01:07 AM
Well...perhaps if a band went and perfomed it live in concert, that would be quite entertaining!

Do it, Evanescence!!! :goodluck
I could try a rock remix, but I don't know where I'm going to find the lead vocalist. :p

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
It sounded really awesome and very good. It was very well made.