The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Drawings by RainbowFaceProtege :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Been missing out on a few, so I'll comment on each one :D

Mo: B'awww this one's adorable! Giant eye makes me feel it's a baby Mo :D

For the next two, can I just say you're absolutely amazing at making backgrounds? They are so lively. I'm very much in awe at how much patience you must have to get these backgrounds so detailed and smooth. What kind of pencils do you use (sorry if this has already been asked)?

Kendra and Chase: Your OCs look really nice! I don't spend any time in the fanfiction section of the forum, so it is nice to be introduced to new characters this way. The lighting from the moon is very well done. I love how soft this piece feels, everything just looks smooth to the touch. Footprints in the sand, shadows... You nailed everything!

Chase and Chomper: Gahhh the background! Love it so much :wub Again the lighting is superb and the characters have a lot of personality to them.

All of these make me feel very inspired and I honestly can't wait to see what you'll have in store for us next. I really hope you'll feel like joining our fanart prompts too at some point. It would be great to get more submissions!

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
Wow, I've been out of the loop. Few days away and the result is more drawings than I imagined. How the hell do you people cope with this much work? :bestsharptooth

The yellowish-orange tincture is very reminiscent of the original film and as a result brings out plethora of warm recollections from the past. And what we can see, Chomper is having to lean on a friend for comfort. The view of the canyon is rather dimensional in appearance and the detail on the groundwork is expressive. I quite like the shadows of the palm trees, giving them imposing look. :)

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
@Mumbling I use Prismacolor pencils. Thank you for all your comments, you're so kind! :duckyhappy I'm definitely going to get into the fanart prompts...you'll be seeing something from me for the March/April one before the end of the month!

@Anagnos Haha, these have been finished for a while--I'm not churning out drawings every day! :lol Anyway, I couldn't do a sunset scene without attempting some cool shadows, could I? Glad you like 'em. :DD

Now for something new I've been experimenting with: watercolors! (Plus a little bit of colored pencil where any colors needed brightened up.)

"I don't see anything!"--Cera

"Maybe your eyes are getting in the way."--Rainbow Face

Goldenwind

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
That is beautiful!! I don't think I see much watercolor art anymore! I am happy to see both Littlefoot and Ducky together as I found their meeting in the first film to be memorable!  :duckyhappy

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh neat! I haven't used water colours since, I dunno, elementary school? :p

Looks like Littlefoot and Ducky are looking forward to some Tree Sweets. Looks very good! Also glad to hear that you're interested in joining in on the fanart prompts! Can't wait to see what you come up with!  :)littlefoot

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Oh neat! I haven't used water colours since, I dunno, elementary school? :p
I've never been able to use watercolors effectively.

One of my favorite watercolor-esque films in terms of background is Lilo & Stitch (one can argue Sleeping Beauty too, I guess), and I really see the resemblance with Littlefoot and Ducky here! Their lips are a bit puffy, but I expect that to be a side-effect of the watercolour medium. The ambiance of the Great Valley is really captured here! It's like a painting out of an era in time! :duckyhappy
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Lovely use of colors! Using watercolors can be quite difficult from what I recall. I think you did a splendid job :)

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
@Goldenwind Yep, they were the first of the gang to become friends (don't think Cera counts :lol), and they also happen to be my favorites of the five! :duckyhappy :)littlefoot

@Flathead770 I'm already getting stuff in mind for that crossover prompt this month, and I can't wait to start drawing!
@OwlsCantRead I looooove Lilo & Stitch! :Mo I've admired the aesthetic of that movie for a while now, so you just made me super happy with that comparison!
@Mumbling Thanks! :^^spike I love your new profile pic, by the way...d'aaawwwwww!! :wub

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
@Sneak Thank you! :)petrie It's newer than some of the other stuff I've shown, but it's from last year.

@OwlsCantRead Aww, you're too nice! I enjoy drawing pictures with interesting lighting in them. :yes

Which brings me to my second piece of art from the same story--and the color scheme is polar opposite my usual this time! :lol
This is Chase (now a teenager) looking out over the Great Valley sunset with Chomper. They're like brothers to each other, these two sharpteeth! :chompysmile Chomper's especially happy he's met another friendly sharptooth--just look at that hug.

Anyway...shadows/highlights were pretty difficult for me here, and the resulting picture probably isn't totally consistent about which direction the sunlight is coming from.

I love this art! Reminds me of a painfer who used different color sand as a medium that he sculped a tropical scene w/ dolphins.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
@Sneak Thank you! :)petrie It's newer than some of the other stuff I've shown, but it's from last year.

@OwlsCantRead Aww, you're too nice! I enjoy drawing pictures with interesting lighting in them. :yes

Which brings me to my second piece of art from the same story--and the color scheme is polar opposite my usual this time! :lol
This is Chase (now a teenager) looking out over the Great Valley sunset with Chomper. They're like brothers to each other, these two sharpteeth! :chompysmile Chomper's especially happy he's met another friendly sharptooth--just look at that hug.

Anyway...shadows/highlights were pretty difficult for me here, and the resulting picture probably isn't totally consistent about which direction the sunlight is coming from.

I love this art! Reminds me of a painfer who used different color sand as a medium that he sculped a tropical scene w/ dolphins.

Oh, wow! Now I wanna see that art, it sounds so cool! :DD

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Haha thanks, Rainbow! It's a doodle I once decorated my text book with when I was in secondary school.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Haha thanks, Rainbow! It's a doodle I once decorated my text book with when I was in secondary school.
Well, that's one detailed doodle! :DD Were you doing that from memory?

Here's some Etta for you guys today!

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I doubt it! I don't have a very good memory  :PCera

Nice! I don't know Etta very well as a character, but she looks pretty good here! The only thing I notice is her left leg's connection to her torso. It seems to be a continuation of the front of the torso, rather than the back of it, which doesn't quite feel right for her pose. Other than that, splendid work as usual  :cerahappy

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

You never see Etta art! Fantastic Job. I like you went for a less common pose, her flying, oppose to standard standing in the cave. Was this from when Etta tried to help Bron in the flashback?

P.S. huge fan of Reba.

Goldenwind

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Etta!  :chompysmile I liked her in movie 14. I always thought she was related to Elsa in We're Back a Dinosaur's Story. XD Really awesome drawing!  :Mo

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I agree, it's nice to see some more Etta art! Looks like a real solid drawing all round. I think one thing that stands out for me is the line to divide her chest muscles is placed a little too high up. It gives the impression that we're looking directly up at her stomach, but the way her legs and head are facing indicate otherwise. Feels like the line would be closer to the right side of the body? Still looks good though!  :)petrie

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
As usual, thanks for all the comments, you kind folks! :)littlefoot
@Mumbling You and everyone else pointing out her leg are right about it being off. I tried to draw it several ways (failing each time) before I kinda gave up... :facepalm I think I'd been looking at it too long by then! :p

@Gentle Sharptooth I just imagined this was how Etta would have looked back when she was still free to fly through the air (or, alternatively, maybe this is after her wing heals). :smile

Considering that Etta seemed to be a universally well-liked character when JoTB was released, I'm surprised there isn't any other fanart of her out there! I really liked her character as well! Though, as someone who's never been into country music much, I think "Look for the Light" is the only Reba song I'll ever be into. (Who am I kidding, I'm so out of the loop about country music that it's probably the only Reba song I'll ever be aware of...) :confused

@Goldenwind Haha, I see what you mean! Maybe Elsa's that sister she's always talking about... :lol
@Flathead770 Looks like I goofed there, too...whoops. :olittlefoot Will be more careful next time I draw her!
@Sneak :Mo Same here! She was only just barely pushed off my Top 10 list by other characters, but she remains firmly at my #11, and maybe she'll even make the climb further up eventually!

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
@RainbowFaceProtege I think Journey of the Brave was not as well known as other sequels except by us fans. For instance, probably more non-fans know about Chomper and Ali than abouf Etta and Wild Arms.

I love Reba’s “I’m a Survivor.”

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Good point @Gentle Sharptooth , I guess you probably have to be a superfan to know the XIV characters.

Well, I suppose it's time I posted a human LBT picture! This is actually based on a fanfiction I had in the works a while ago--you can probably tell that it was called The Fans Before Time. The story is about this group of kids who each had the LBT series as an important part of their lives, and when they all meet, an unusual chain of events sets them off on an adventure that warps them into the LBT world. They're not literally the LBT characters turned into humans, they're more like alternate-universe versions of them, with each one relating most to a specific LBT character. They actually have their own (human) names, I just didn't put their names on the picture in case I decided to change any names while I was writing (an annoying habit of mine). The story still isn't finished--guess I'll have to go back to it sometime.

I guess I should explain the hair colors right about now. I was reading up on drawing anime to help me with this picture, since I'm no avid anime watcher and still needed to figure out the art style. One part of the book I had checked out told how hair colors were used to represent different personalities in anime, so I thought that would be interesting to apply here. I already knew I wanted to avoid being too literal about translating the LBT characters' coloring onto these kids, both because the dinosaurs and kids are two different (though similar) groups of characters in my story and because I didn't want each kid to be one color all over. So, yeah, that's why there's stuff here like my Ruby fangirl having dark blue hair (represents responsibility), Ducky fangirl having pink hair (represents cheerfulness), etc.