The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Contact Universal for LBTXV

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I had an idea that we fans could contact Universal to let them know we want them to make LBTXV, to show them how many of us there are and that there is a devout fanbase.

Here is a link to contact Universal:

Productions, where they make the movies:

https://www.universalstudios.com/contact/hollywood

As a reminder be respectful and kind, we want to help LBTXV get made not vent frustations.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 08:39:17 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
You’ll never know unless you try. :)

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Like through writing a letter or an email?

Because both have the probability of being out right discarded.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 06:41:18 PM by Enchanted-Valley96 »

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Like through writing a letter or an email?

Because both have the probability of being out right discarded.

Not if we all send emails, if they see more than one they will be more inclined to read.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Then we tried, and you will forever be able to say “I did what I could to help LBXV happen.”

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
You'll probably be given an automated response if somebody replies.

Or be told that they don't reveal details.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
It's worth a shot, @Gentle Sharptooth !! :Mo

I'm lost on which department of Universal we should contact, though, since they ask you to choose one...

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
@RainbowFaceProtege I think Entertainment: DVD/Bluray, since LBT films are direct to video.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Okay, I just wanted to be sure we're all headed in the same direction.
Now, do I write a paragraph or an essay...? :SmugSpike

EDIT: Got cut short--it turns out the DVD/Bluray contact link takes you to what basically amounts to a helpline. You have to select an "issue" you're writing about (faulty discs, etc.). Now where to?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 07:59:07 PM by RainbowFaceProtege »

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
@RainbowFaceProtege all I'm gonna say is good luck and hope that you get some sort of response.

Even if it's a no, it's better than having them not even reply.

Also write how ever much is necessary.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

Paragraph more likely to be skimmed. But if you want to write an essay, go for it! :)

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Paragraph more likely to be skimmed. But if you want to write an essay, go for it! :)

Good point, better keep it somewhat concise so as not to spam them too horribly. :thinking I ran into a snag, though--see edited post above.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
@RainbowFaceProtege try this instead:

https://www.universalstudios.com/contact/hollywood

This is their production section, where they make movies. I’m gonna add it to OP.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh, thanks! This looks more like what we're looking for! :chompysmile

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I sent my message, here is a copy:

“Greetings,

I think your studios should become the one stop for all things dinosaur. Explanation below.

Firstly I am a major fan of The Land Before Time and Jurassic Park/World franchises. I grew up with Littlefoot, his friends, and Rexy. I wanted to ask if you would make The Land Before Time XV (15), and subsequent films. 

With The Land Before Time revived, your studios can become the one stop place for dinos, with Jurassic Park/ World for tweens to adults, and Land Before Time for children to tweens.

No one could then compete with your dino dynasty.

Sincerely,

Gentle Sharptooth (used my name).”
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 08:35:29 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Ah, this thread again. It always happens every now and then.

About emails... it occasionally works. Maybe not for something as grandiose as this, but this is a thread that goes into details about asking LBT production crew for info. Ludichris got a good portion of Tavera's sequel music score just by contacting him, and LBT14 included through another email.

Though probably the latest correspondence too give you hope would be of note to you, Journey of the Brave storyboard artist Llyd Hunter's reply to an email composed by @Sovereign. I have pasted it from that thread in here:

Hey ---:

Nice to know there are LBT fans out there. It's a bit difficult to go into detail on the story end of the production.  With most feature films in animation, there are tons of changes from the beginning to the ending of the project.  Often there are entire sequences that are worked on for many months then totally rejected.  For example I did one sequence were Littefoot and Ducky run into an old ribcage to escape from the Allosauruses and it goes bouncing down a hill like a barrel.  I and several of the other storyboard artists working on that sequence did numerous versions of it (how many I can't even guess - but quite a number). In the end it was totally cut. There are many like that.  In features Storyboard artists are often used to produce the original visual ideas, then once they are introduced into a rough animatic the director and producer decide whether or not they are working in the overall story for the film.  The basic through line of - "Littlefoot and company go in search of his father and save his life" - never changes, but the events to get there and the number of them alter dramatically throughout the process.

As to what other scenes I had a hand in, probably a fifth of them before the entire film was completed.  This is because as the film was continued to be polished each storyboard artist on staff would work on whatever scene needed changes as they became available.  Since in animation the artists actually create the work, it can sometimes be almost an assembly line process.  We all have to be able to draw backgrounds, props, and all the characters in the movie and act them out so that the animators can take a scene or sequence at a time and hook it all together and make a comprehensive film. On this film there were about 10 initial board artists and 5 staff (who were a part of that initial 10) who worked on the film.

As to future Land Before Time films, I'm sure there will be more, but I'm not sure when.  Universal/MCA makes a great deal of money on them with little outlay.  The problem is always that animation is always the step child in entertainment, live action will always be green-lit before animation.  Most producers would prefer to be in charge of a live action project because of the larger budgets and status.  Oddly enough, animation usually makes good money in the long run, but those in charge don't get the credit for it - the marketing departments do.  Also, animation artists are temporary workers.  We rarely work for a studio for longer than the extent of the project.  When the studio is done with the project, they are done with the artists.  They lay us off and just hire up a new batch when they are ready for the new picture, so the likelihood that I or anyone else that worked on this production will work on the next is not high.

In the long run, it is always a pleasure to be part of a franchise that has such staying power as LBT, I get to consider myself as one of the thousands that have had a hand in its continuation and creation.  It is also wonderful that so many millions of people continue to enjoy it.  I would suggest if you do wish to see another, send snail mail requests to Universal Animation. Something in paper with a physical stamp on it can have a lot of power as a vote of what you would like to see from them.

All the best to you and the other fans,

Llyn Hunter

...which might singlehandedly be the most reassuring thing for a LBT XV. Production staff of LBT XIV having hope.

So, yes. Emails might work. You never know. Certainly people have tried before.

But on the other hand, you wouldn't have been the first to petition or email Universal for LBT XV. Not by a long shot. :p
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Thanks @OwlsCantRead that is reassuring. I thought its worth us trying to contact Universal and show them how many fans love the LBT franchise and why continuing LBT is fiscally a good idea (see my last post).