The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Dinosaur Revolution

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
End Game

Survival Tactics appears unavailable. I haven't found it anywhere online.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, it looks like a link for episode 3 is up. Two of them actually.
Episode 3

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
In my opinion, the story with the old Protoceratops is the only good one. The others contain too much bloody slapstick.

There is another show called Planet Dinosaur on BBC, which is more scientific.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Are they gonna make any new episode's soon? or is  the show all done?

CreativePerson

• Ruby
    • View Profile
There were originally going to be 37 episodes! Unfortunately, they didn't get enough of it finished in time so they only came up with 6 episodes. The last two episodes are not being shown for unknown reasons.

The version we got on TV is the butchered version. The original had no narration, no random talking bits, or anything like that. It was supposed to be a immersive experience where you would feel for the characters, that was the goal. They didn't want the dinosaurs to be portrayed as emotionless monsters instead as animals that have feelings. Scenes had to be cut in order to put the talking people in, and I heard those scenes were going to be great so that also butchers the story. Discovery really killed this show, it's so sad.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Edit: Whoops I posted this in the wrong topic. I apologize.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: CreativePerson,Oct 4 2011 on  07:45 AM
There were originally going to be 37 episodes! Unfortunately, they didn't get enough of it finished in time so they only came up with 6 episodes. The last two episodes are not being shown for unknown reasons.

The version we got on TV is the butchered version. The original had no narration, no random talking bits, or anything like that. It was supposed to be a immersive experience where you would feel for the characters, that was the goal. They didn't want the dinosaurs to be portrayed as emotionless monsters instead as animals that have feelings. Scenes had to be cut in order to put the talking people in, and I heard those scenes were going to be great so that also butchers the story. Discovery really killed this show, it's so sad.
Darn you Discovery Channel for destroying a very good show. And I hear you they shouldn't have tampered with the show. They should have kept it the way it was so everyone could enjoy it. But I'm sure they butchered it because younger people watched it and they didn't want to make it to graphic violent for the younger people watching the show. Yeah so they made it a sorta of a kind a kid friendly version of the show in a way. I'm sure the real version was gonna have a lot more blood and so on. And show us how ruthless they really where. Kinda witch they didn't. But hopefully maybe one day it will be back on. But doubt it.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Justin1993,Oct 4 2011 on  02:00 AM
Well, it looks like a link for episode 3 is up. Two of them actually.
Episode 3
Those two links are for the video sites I had problems with earlier. ("You have used up your 72 free minutes, please subscribe with pay to watch more") However, today I've been able to take advantage of the fact that, despite the fact that I'm using the same laptop, I'm at a different location (my college dorm room). This time, I was not going to let this opportunity get away from me. Due to my concerns about having a slightly slower connection, I decided to wait until the entire video had buffered, which took about 15-20 minutes. The video itself is 42 and a half minutes, so as long as I didn't pause the video, I would have enough time to watch the whole thing. Now, all I can say is, "Yes! Finally!" The only downside is that I'll never be able to watch it again (unless someone puts it on YouTube). For this reason, I'm still going to buy the DVD when it starts shipping next month. Okay, now that I've got all of that techno mumbo-jumbo out of the way, I can finally comment on this episode.

Okay, let's see if I can remember all of the segments of this episode: First was Utah-raptors chasing a herd of Sauropods, then a bird-like raptor that escapes two baby Mahjungasauruses who get eaten by giant frogs, then we see some of the mammals that were around at this time including something like a flying squirrel, then a Sauropod eats some bad mushrooms that basically make him feel drunk while he is attacked by two predators, then an orphaned Protoceratops follows an old male to find a new herd, and finally a young Pterosaur learns how to fly. Sorry if I sound like I'm giving away the whole thing, but like I said, I don't think I'll be seeing it again for a while, so I need to find some way to remind myself about what I saw. -_-

I really liked this series, and I'm very glad that I've now been able to watch all four episodes. :)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Looking back, I think I might have obsessed over this show a little too much. :oops  I've reconsidered buying the DVD. The important thing is that I've seen each episode at least once, and that's enough for me. Besides, I just searched on YouTube and it looks like a lot of the videos I saw a few weeks ago (including the ones I had linked to in this topic) seem to have been removed. Oh well.

- Berix

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
It's a shame they destroyed this show. It was a great show that they really butchered badly. The episode's I did like where very good and had good information about the dinosaur class and personality. It was made very well I liked how it had some humor in it. And some dinosaur's where  really stupid and clumsy. I hoped that they would have made more episodes than six

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm considering buying the DVD myself. I don't have too many dinosaur documentaries on DVD.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie85,Oct 12 2011 on  04:07 PM
It's a shame they destroyed this show. It was a great show that they really butchered badly. The episode's I did like where very good and had good information about the dinosaur class and personality. It was made very well I liked how it had some humor in it. And some dinosaur's where  really stupid and clumsy. I hoped that they would have made more episodes than six
Maybe you should read a few articles before you go and bad mouth the producers. It was only going to be 6 hours, which would have meant two additional episodes and it was going to be named Reign of the Dinosaurs.
"Each episode was to be followed by one of a companion series, called Science of: Reign of the Dinosaurs, which would feature scientists explaining the basis for the preceding story, and pointing out which parts were speculative or imaginary."
Due to budget cuts, they could only finish 4 episodes. And the network changed their marketing strategy, causing several other changes including the addition of talking heads. There were never going to be more than 6 episodes. And several scenarios were swapped out in favor of another.
They didn't "butcher" it intentionally, as you are making it sound. They did not "buthcer" it for a younger target audience. And it was not meant to be a gore fest. It was simply meant to change our views of dinosaurs as lumbering animals to animals with personalities.

Anyways, I already preordered the DVD.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I knew I remembered making a topic about this miniseries back in the day.

Just over a week ago, the Science Channel (which unlike back when I made this topic, I now have full access to) did a rerun of all four episodes in one afternoon. Unfortunately, I had other things to do that day, but I was able to record them, and it was only today that I finally got a chance to watch them. Even after all this time, I still very much loved watching this miniseries again (and in hindsight, I really wish that I had bought that DVD set (no idea if it's even still available)).

Anyway, seeing how the fanfiction section on this site has been quite active in recent years, I would actually highly recommend that any fellow members who have not yet seen this miniseries should consider watching it (though I'm honestly not sure if any of those four episodes are even available to watch anywhere online, because like I said, I only watched a TV recording from last week (though a quick search I just did on YouTube does look a little promising, but I don't have time right now to be sure)). Personally, I'd like to see someone try to write an LBT fanfic inspired by the events portrayed in episode 2 "The Watering Hole".

- Berix