The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Watership Down

Raptor · 17 · 4693

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I was suprised not to see a topic on this, I've been rereading it, recently, and I forgot how good of a book it is. Matter of fact, since reading it the first time, I've re-read it at least three times since.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think I read the book.  I did see the movie, many years ago.   There may be a thread on this topic but it may be buried who knows how far back.  Petrie really enjoys Watership down a lot as well as some others.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Oooh, I love Watership Down. It's such a fantastic book. I should definitely read it again sometime.

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I couldn't tell you even the barest outlines of what happens in the book any more, but I do remember really enjoying the book, in a kind of Johnathon Livingston way.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I agree that Watership Down is more than good book. After all I wouldn't have a quote from it in my signature, if I thought differently. ;)
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
There are so many good quotes. One of my personal favorites:

"Silflay hraka, u embleer rah."

Two cookies to anyone who knows who says that. Two more to anyone who knows what it means. Two more to anyone who knows who the speaker was saying it to.

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
If I remember well this means: "Eat the droppings, you stinking chief". I believe it was Bigwig who said that to Woundwort, when these two were fighting in the tunnel at Watership Down.
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Myrkin,May 3 2009 on  06:08 AM
If I remember well this means: "Eat the droppings, you stinking chief". I believe it was Bigwig who said that to Woundwort, when these two were fighting in the tunnel at Watership Down.
That would be a correct translation.  Its like a much more proper way of saying much nastier things. :p

I've been a staunch Watership Down fan for many years now.  I read the books first, and watched the film and tv series second.  Its much better this way because of the detail Adams gives readers is absent in films.  I felt this detail helped the readers understand why rabbits did what they did in the wild.

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I like alot of the El-ahrairah stories that got left out in the movie. Several of them were pretty funny.

Edit: Watched the movie again. Great movie, even if it did leave some stuff out. I'll admit, I've been rather obsessed lately.

• Spike
    • View Profile
Could someone explain to me the meaning in the chapter title  Deus ex machina

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Dea Ex Machina is the female version of Deus Ex Machina, which is basicly unlikely help.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
The book is highly addictive, and I was a bit disappointed when I saw the movie and had so much left out....but they also had to fit into a time frame, which meant that some stuff had to be cut...but nonetheless...I am now officially addicted to Watership Down.

Raptor

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Both the movie and the book are fantastic, but the book's definantly better. I've re-read it at least eight times.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Eight times huh? well that trumps mine at five re-readings. :DD

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Watership Down is one of my favorite novels.  It was one of the first books that I actually read for enjoyment, as opposed to school obligations, and I credit it with helping turn me into the bookworm that I currently am.  I can reread the novel again and again and come across some nuance that I missed in my previous readings.  In fact, I typically reread it and Dune (another one of my favorites) every year as a kind of summer tradition.

As for the 1978 animated film, I was rather disappointed by the things that they cut out.  I feel that the book provides greater insight into the motivations and actions of the characters than the truncated story provided in the film.  Overall, however, I feel that the film was a pretty good effort at attempting to translate this amazing story into the visual medium.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
While nowhere as epic as the animated film, the animated TV series still had its moments from time to time, and was certainly an interesting concept. Although I want to slap whoever came up with the storyline for season three...I can't even bring myself to type what happened in it!

fanciful_flyer

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://https://reia73.wordpress.com/
I've read it a few times, and am amazed each time. It's an extraordinary book, especially considering what it's about. I even got a few of my family members to read it, lol. Watership Down will always be on my Top 10 list!