The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Dungeons and Dragons alignments for LBT characters

Dino-Mario

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Yeah,this is a pretty nerdy topic.I AM A NERD AND LOVE STUFF LIKE THIS,AND I DO NOT HAVE SHAME IN ADMITTING IT.
Back to the topic,what do you think would be the most fitting Dungeons and Dragons alignments for The Land Before Time characters???So far i can think:
Littlefoot:Lawful Good
Ducky and Petrie:Neutral Good
Cera:Chaotic Good
Hyp,Mutt and Nod:Neutral Evil
Sharptooth:Neutral Evil
Spike:True Neutral
Chomper:Neutral Good,too
As i said before,I'd like to know,what alignments do you think fir the characters best in your own opinion???

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Unfortunately I am not familiar with the alignment system of D&D, but by the sound of it it seems to be similar to that which is used in the computer game Baldur's gate.
If so I wouldn't think of any of the maincharacters as lawful. Not because they were some kind of anarchists, but because they very often break the rules and more often than not for the benefit of others. Littlefoot does show reluctance to break the rules of the grownups when in LBT 2 he is the first to voice any concerns about crossing the sinking sands. However, we more often see him take the initiative to break the rules of the grownups and bend the "laws" where said laws aren't helping.

Come to think of it, a character who would be extremely rule- or law-obeying might make for an interesting element in an LBT story. We have had characters before who would be supposed to be so lawful but for whom it didn't take any serious convincing effort to convince them to break the rules after all.

Dino-Mario

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,May 10 2013 on  04:29 AM
Unfortunately I am not familiar with the alignment system of D&D, but by the sound of it it seems to be similar to that which is used in the computer game Baldur's gate.
If so I wouldn't think of any of the maincharacters as lawful. Not because they were some kind of anarchists, but because they very often break the rules and more often than not for the benefit of others. Littlefoot does show reluctance to break the rules of the grownups when in LBT 2 he is the first to voice any concerns about crossing the sinking sands. However, we more often see him take the initiative to break the rules of the grownups and bend the "laws" where said laws aren't helping.

Come to think of it, a character who would be extremely rule- or law-obeying might make for an interesting element in an LBT story. We have had characters before who would be supposed to be so lawful but for whom it didn't take any serious convincing effort to convince them to break the rules after all.
Then it would be safer to classify the protagonists as chaotic neutral

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dino-Mario,May 10 2013 on  05:45 PM
Quote from: Malte279,May 10 2013 on  04:29 AM

Then it would be safer to classify the protagonists as chaotic neutral

I think that would be more accurate to label the protagonists as either neutral good or chaotic good, as opposed to chaotic neutral.  

A neutral good character is guided by his or her own conscience and typically acts altruistically, but is willing to break laws and traditions if necessary to achieve those ends.

A chaotic good character, on the other hand, favors change for the greater good and is outright disdainful of laws and traditions. A classic archetype of a chaotic good character is the rebel with good intentions.

A chaotic neutral character follows their own whims and is not motivated by either 'good' or 'evil'.  This alignment can include anarchist-like characters and, in extreme cases, characters that appear outright insane due to their unpredictability.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Blais_13

• Spike
    • View Profile
Wow I have never seen this topic!
Baldur's Gate actually use second edition D&D rules,so you are right there Malte.
I would say that the whole gang would be either chaotic or neutral good.I think Littlefoot and Cera would fall in the chaotic good,Ducky,Spike and Petire to the neutral good.(Sorry,I started writing this before your post rhombus,but it seems that I agree with you anyway)

For Hyp,Mutt and Nod I would put chaotic neutral,since they just do what they would like to at the given second,bullying in the start,but helping the gang when they feel they should.

For the Sharptooth I would give two algment.If one think that he was  after the gang just for revenge for an eye,than I would say chaotic evil.Or,If his motivation was starvation,then true neutral(we never saw him interact with anyone he wouldn't consider snack,so it's hard to tell)

Some more characters I can think of right now:
Grandpa and Grandma longneck:neutral good.They approve laws,and never eager to break them,but in movie 3 they do bend them.

yelowbelly:chaotic neutral no explanation needed.

Chomper's parents:neutral good.They may eat herbivores,but they have to,and they do what is right to do with the gang in the movies.

Mr Thereehorn:lawful neutral,becose he takes tradition above acting good or evil.

Mo:chaotic good,he is helpfull and care about others,and he likes to do what he wants.not what others expect him to do.

By the way here are the alignments if others want to post too
chaotic good:
neutral good
lawfull good
chaotic neutral
true neutral
lawful neutral
chaotic evil
lawful evil
neutral evil

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I highly doubt anyone in the Great Valley is evil. Even <insert one-off villain here>. You used Hyp, Nod, and Mutt as examples; were they willing to kill the cast to get ahead? Did they lack basic empathy for fellow dinosaurs? I don't think so; they were just kids with parental issues who picked on other kids to make themselves feel better about their lives. They weren't good, so they'd probably fit into chaotic neutral, methinks.

Also good to note, none of the non-sentient dinosaurs shown (T-Rexes, Velociraptors, etc.) can be evil either. D&D specifically states that creatures trying only to eat or survive and never demonstrate higher thinking are "True Neutral." The exception may be Red Claw and his two goons because they seem to hold a particular vendetta against the main cast, and I remember in that one episode one growls at Chomper "You're friends aren't coming back..." Verbal intimidation and unnecessary threatening are hallmarks of an Evil alignment.

So in my opinion, the only real alignments are:

The main cast - Chaotic Good (They regularly break rules, but there are many examples of any one of them doing "the right thing" based on their on morals. For examples, look up like any song from the series.)
Every other kid - Chaotic Neutral (In general, they do not participate in 'lessons of the day" like the main cast does, and are generally only seen playing, running in fear or looking out for their best interests.)
Every Great Valley adult - Lawful Good (They hold counsel and regularly attempt to do what is best for everyone involved within the proper conducts of the law. Comes with the gridlock problem inherent in lawful good thought processes.)
Every villain - True Neutral (Most for the non-sentient reason above, others show a willingness to break the law but also receive a 'redemption moment' where they realize they were wrong and need to do "the right thing." But that's not enough to become good. Some like Pterano may be Chaotic Neutral.)

Bam. I don't think I missed anyone important.

Blais_13

• Spike
    • View Profile
I highly doubt anyone in the Great Valley is evil. Even <insert one-off villain here>.

Maybe the flyer trio are evil.Pterano isn't realy,but Rhinkus and Sierra are willing to kidnap,harm or even kill the gang only for their plan to get the stone.I would call them neutral evil.