The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A new addition to the family

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I knew I always wanted a dog further down the timeline, but in a few weeks, one will be living with my family.

Here's the story:
I have been volunteering at a local animal shelter for about 7 months now, among the first dogs I met was a black chow/lab/spitz mix named Rocky.  I loved all the dogs that have come and gone, but Rocky and I seemed to bond closer than anyone else, but at the time I couldn't adopt him even if I wanted to.  Five months ago, I became the shelter's adoption event coordinator, planning special days to publicize our shelter and adopt out our dogs and cats.  Two months ago, Rocky became my choice to take to one of these special days, and he was adopted out in the first hour.

Just a few days ago, a fellow volunteer, also my second-in-command in the adoption days, discovered Rocky on the side of the road in the middle of the desert.  Her skills in intelligence gathering unearthed what happened.  For reasons that I really don't buy into (saying he freaks out while riding in the car), the adopting family gave Rocky up to a neighbor before they moved to Georgia, and this person, again for suspicious reasons (saying he jumped on her kids), finally made the choice to dump him in the middle of nowhere, to die.  Although after contacting the "adopters", who then said they'll be flying over to pick Rocky up, it was decided they had earlier relinquished responsibility of him and they will never have him back.

The tough part was finding Rocky a home again.  I took advantage of an entire weekend of events we signed up for, and took him to every trip.  But what myself and the other volunteers decided before then, if he didn't get adopted then, since he and I were the closest, then I can take him in.  Sure enough, he's now mine.  My family and I are now preparing our home for him to move in about a week or two.

I find it incredibly hard to see any problems with him.  He's people & pet friendly, tolerates rough-housing by little kids, he's smart and trainable, he comes when he's called by name, and he was no trouble in any car rides.  My spurts of anger at these people are now behind me, and I now look forward to my first dog.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Aw, I feel so sad for Rocky, but it sounds like he will now find his happily ever after :yes.  Congrats, and best of luck and wishes for you and your first non-human companion :smile.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Good for you and for Rocky.  Sad thing is that there are quite a number of people out there who think that adopting a animal whether it is cat or dog is only an accesory to add to their household.  Not many people are prepared for the long endurance and rewarding gift of having a new member in the family.  When they can't handle the requirments due to their stupid expectations that don't fit with the reality, they do often lie and claim things that are completely unreasonable.  I too used to work in a animal rehoming centre where this happened so many times.  This woman adopted a dog took it away and in the next two weeks brought it back claiming that the poor dog had urinated on her floor and she couldn't handle it.  Pfft....pathetic reason.  Thankfully the dog was re-homed but that reason was stupid, she probably couldn't handle it...
Rocky is lucky to have someone who understands completely and is willing to accept the good and the bad that comes from being a pet owner.  I can not understand how someone could leave a fellow organism to die....stupid and selfish.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
It wasn't really the case of the excuse.  We've had pets returned to the shelter for more legitimate reasons, mainly the adopters original pets didn't like the newcomers.  Either way, the pets were returned to us and we could find them another home.

But this, ultimately Rocky was not returned to the shelter, and instead, he was dropped off in the desert to die.  There was no excuse that could save any of these people from what a lot of us at the shelter feel.

ANYway, my family and I are giving our home a major overhaul for the new arrival, and got a lot of new stuff to keep him comfortable and safe.  We're all excited for our first dog.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
That was such a very good story you made. I'm very glad that you gave that dog a new home. And I with you two well.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
It's been one week since Rocky moved in with us, and it's been a little stressful.  It seems we both need to better understand each others signals.  Has anybody had the same hurdles with your first pet?