The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

American history game

Malte279 · 849 · 58473

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Did his wife and his mother die on the very same day? I'm thinking of another US president. I may be mistaken, but I think he was the only one who lost both, wife and mother on the same day. One hind, he sure is one of the more famous US presidents.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I don't have an answer but I did consider giving the answer of a president that was assassinated--then they would have lost their mother and wife on the same day. ;)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Lincoln
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nope, the president that I'm talking of was not killed in an assassination and he had to life to see this terrible day for him. Look to Lincoln's right near the lands this president I'm talking of loved most.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Roosevelt
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Teddy Roosevelt
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Right you are. His wife and his mother both died on February 14, 1884 in the same house. Teddy Roosevelt was so distraught that there is no record of him mentioning his wife's name again.
Did you get my hint about him?
"Look to Lincoln's right near the lands this president I'm talking of loved most."
Mount Rushmore is not far from the Badlands which Roosevelt loved so much (after I visited the Badlands myself I can surely understand why) and he is to the right of Lincoln's face on Mount Rushmore. Did you get that clue?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Oh yes I got it. Plus Teddy was an ardent conservationist, Lands was a dead giveaway.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Who tried to save the life  of a President with an invention he made?
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I know that somebody tried to save Lincoln's life with a device to find bullets within a human body I just can't recal the inventor's name right now.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No, Lincoln was not the President I'm talking about.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Then it was probably Garfield. He lived for quite a while after the "assassination". Some people say that most likely the doctors killed him rather than the assassinator.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Alexander Graham Bell - (who also invented the telephone used a metal detector he had invented to track down the bullet in Garfields body).

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
And I did a report on President Garfield years ago.  Sheesh! :blink:  <_<

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
What I read about the "medical aid" President Garfield received after being shot, but not killed is very macabre. This is an excerpt from a webpage on that topic:
Then, on July 2, 1881, Garfield arrived at the Washington railroad depot to depart for New Jersey. He was on his way to visit his wife who was ill and staying in the town of Elberon. 

He never got there. 

Guiteau was hiding in the station and fired two shots at President Garfield. 

Believe it or not, Guiteau actually had arranged to have a hansom cab wait for him outside to take him to jail - he was afraid that an angry mob would form and lynch him. Instead the Washington police dragged him off to prison. 

One bullet grazed his arm but the other one had lodged itself somewhere inside the President's body. 

Garfield was rushed to the White House, having never lost consciousness. 

For the next eighty days, sixteen doctors were consulted regarding the President's condition. 

The first doctor, Willard Bliss, stuck a non-sterile finger into the wound (sterilization had been preached, but not widely practiced at the time). He followed this by inserting a non sterile probing instrument to find the bullet. 

Bliss never found the bullet, but the false passage that he dug out confused later physicians as to the bullet's actual path. As a result, they concluded that the bullet had penetrated the liver and therefore surgery would be of no help. The President would surely die quickly as a result. 

Of course, they were wrong. 

Then the army surgeon general stuck his unwashed finger into the wound and dug as deep as he could. 

This was followed by the navy surgeon general who searched with his finger so deeply that this time he really did puncture the liver (damage the bullet never did). His conclusion: the President would die within twenty-four hours. 

But, Garfield didn't die the next day. 

His fever rose and he was put on a diet of milk spiked with brandy. 

To nobody's surprise they continued to probe for the bullet with their unwashed fingers. 

In an effort to find the bullet, that phone guy Alexander Graham Bell rigged up a crude metal detector to help find the bullet. After several passes, Bell said he had located the bullet. It was much deeper than was originally thought. 

With Garfield's condition growing steadily worse, doctors decided to cut him open to remove the slug. It was not found. 

What Bell had actually located so deep in the body was the metal spring under the mattress! No wonder they couldn't find the bullet. 

In the end, they managed to take a 3 inch wound and turn it into a twenty inch canal that was heavily infected and oozed more and more pus with each passing day. 

The deep wound with its massive infection, coupled with possible blood poisoning from the bullet, caused the President's heart to weaken. 

Garfield had a massive heart attack several days later, but these well trained physicians botched this diagnosis also. 

They attributed it to the rupturing of a blood vessel in his stomach! 

Minutes later, on September 19th, 1881, Garfield finally passed away. 

At the autopsy, examiners determined that the bullet had lodged itself some four inches from the spine in a protective cyst. 

Their conclusion? 

Garfield would have survived if the doctors had left him alone. 

At his trial, Charles Guiteau argued that he did not kill the President and that the doctors deserved all the blame for the President's death. 

That kind of argument would probably get you off today, but it didn't work in the 1880's. 

Guiteau was sentenced to death and was hanged on June 30, 1882. 
It really makes me cringe reading about those physicians unwashed hands. :blink:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You are right. McKinley and Garfield would have survived today with modern treatment. Lincoln and Kennedy probably could not have been saved, their injuries were too severe.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Okay, here is the next question:
America's flag has 13 stripes, representing the 13 colonies who declared their independence from Great Britain. However, at first they added new stripes for every new state, before they realized that they better just added a new star for the new stats, as otherwise the flag would have a strange measure.
How many stripes did the very star sprangled banner have, that inspired your national anthem?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
15, one for each state.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: