The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

American history game

Malte279 · 849 · 61187

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
buffalo soliders.. which is ironic because the bison were nearly extermined by the turn on the 20th century..
For the record, the regiment had adopted a name bestowed on them by the native Americans. The regiment consisted of African Americans whose dark, closely curled hair reminded the natives of the Buffalo fur. Others believe the name to be a native tribute to the courage of the African American soldiers. Perhaps there is some truth in both records.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
let me restate, what is the largest national park in the US, and when did it open?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Wrangell – St. Elias National Park and Preserve established in 1980?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
yes your turn malte
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Please complete the following statement by Abraham Lincoln:
"I hope to have God on my side, but I must have..."
What is it that Lincoln felt he had to have and what was the context?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
kentucky
 he was refering to keeping the Border states in the union/. If The Border states seceded Washington DC would be surrounded by enemy territory
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That's right :yes (though the border state that would have left Washington surrounded was Maryland). Kentucky was of great importance to have control over important waterways and it also would have been a gateway for invasions to Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. Kentucky declared neutrality at the start of the war but ultimately remained in the Union though loyalties in the state where both Lincoln and Jefferson Davis were born were very split.

Your turn Nick.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
What is the only Confederate state that was not invaded by the North?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Err... that depends very much on what we define as "invasion". Does the occupation of single ports, forts etc. make an invasion? There is no state of the south that did not see at least some action. My best guess is that you are referring to Texas. Which saw but very sparse and small action including the skirmish of Palmito Ranch (sometimes referred to as the last "battle" of the civil war (four people died less than twenty were wounded. It is tragic enough, but with the slaughter of thousands elsewhere it may not really qualify as sign of an "invasion"). Also Texan ports were blocked rather than occupied.
In case of the less likely candidate for your question, Florida, several ports were occupied early on and with the battle of Olustee there was one military engagement larger than any that took place in Texas. So I reckon that Texas it is.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I Was looking for F;orida, but Texas works as well. Your turn Malte
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Like I said, the battle of Olustee in Florida was larger than any that was ever fought in Texas during the war. Along the coasts many locations in Florida were occupied rather than being blocked (as was mostly the case in Texas). Locations of Florida that were occupied for most of the Civil War included Key West, Pensacola, and Jacksonville. Also several Forts (Fort Pickens most notably) stayed in Union hand for the entire war (though that may not really qualify as an invasion since the place was never conquered by the confederates in the first place).
Compared to that there was much less of an invasion in Texas. Galveston was occupied by the Federal troops but only for a few months.
The largest battle to take place in Texas during the war (battle of Sabine Pass) saw about 50 confederates in a Fort in a formidable position against about 5000 Federals and several gunboats. The confederates won sinking 2 federal ships and killing / wounding about 200 federals.
The battle of Olustee in Florida on the other hand saw about 5000 on both sides (a bit more on the federal side) and roundabout 2800 people were killed and wounded. Because of all that I really think that while every southern state saw some engagements what happened in Texas would qualify less as invasion as what happened in Florida.

Sticking with the Civil War please give the names of at least three horses which received some fame for their famous riders during the Civil War.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Oh well, perhaps horses are not so interesting in the history section, but I admit that I was asking for a lot there ;)
It should be noted however that the Civil War had a more devastating effect on the "horse population" of the US than on the human population. From what I read almost a quarter of the horses in the US died as a result of the Civil War.
Examples could have been "Traveller" (favorite horse of Robert E. Lee), "Little Sorrel" (the horse of Stonewall Jackson. The poor beast was stuffed and is now exhibited in a museum), "Cincinnati" (the favorite horse of U.S. Grant who some people said had a better relationship with horses than with people), "Charlemagne" (the horse of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, the one who defended Little Round Top at Gettysburg), "Old Baldy" (the horse of George G. Meade which was wounded several times), "Lexington" (William T. Sherman's favorite horse), also horses of generals on both sides (another one of Grant's horses as well as a horse of southern general John Bell Hood) were named after Southern President "Jefferson Davis" and it is kind of interesting if in one case it was made to honor and in the other to ridicule the southern president :p
Anyway, here comes something easier.
Who gave the following quote and what was the reference of the quote?
I am aware that many object to the severity of my language; but is there not cause for severity? I will be as harsh as truth, and as uncompromising as justice. On this subject, I do not wish to think, or to speak, or write, with moderation. No! No! Tell a man whose house is on fire to give a moderate alarm; tell him to moderately rescue his wife from the hands of the ravisher; tell the mother to gradually extricate her babe from the fire into which it has fallen; – but urge me not to use moderation in a cause like the present. I am in earnest – I will not equivocate – I will not excuse – I will not retreat a single inch – AND I WILL BE HEARD. The apathy of the people is enough to make every statue leap from its pedestal, and to hasten the resurrection of the dead.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
was it refering to the suffragette movement?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
was it upton sinclair in the Jungle?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nope. The speech was held on a real life issue. It was held within 19th century.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Was it written by William Lloyd Garrison, and about the oppression of slavery?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Here's an easy one:

Name three technological inovations in military during the American Civil War.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
the use of railroad, the use of ironclad warships, and third was the rules iof war regarding treatment of prisoners.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: