The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why Petrie doesn't sing during "Always there"

Guest · 20 · 2691

Bruton the Iguanodon

Everyone, except for Spike, who never really talks or sings and who Ducky can account for both him and herself, remembers their families and how they comforted them during the worst of times during the much loved song, "Always there". Everyone, that is, but Petrie. Why?

We all know this song is good, but with Petrie adding something about his mama, it would be even better, wouldn't it?

Wrong. The song is sung in narrative, and with Petrie's odd voice and grammer, that might sound weird. Also, at nearly 3 minutes, it may cause the song to become overlong and repetive. That's not to say Petrie doesn't love his mom, of course. He flies to her first thing when back on the mainland, and that should say enough. But hey,m this is just my idea. What about yours?

Bruton the Iguanodon

It's just that I found this quote:

LBT V - "Always There" is such a tear jerker. It is the most heart warming song out of all the sequels, and for good reason. Most people say that Littlefoot's part is the strongest part, but in all honesty I believe the entire song is of equal strength. Minus Petrie (which I always found confusing that he didn't sing anything), all of the characters reflect on how their parents comfort them in the worst of times. 

...and wondered what everyone else thought about it

Bruton the Iguanodon

Dr. Curzon

• Spike
    • View Profile
I wouldn't think Petrie would need to sing to show he misses his mom. It's quite obvious he loves his whole family.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Chances are that they decided against any lyrics for Petrie because they wanted "Always There" to be a somewhat grave song and felt that its seriousness would have suffered by the inclusion of Petrie's language.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I wouldn't think Petrie would need to sing to show he misses his mom. It's quite obvious he loves his whole family.

And it isn't that the rest of the gang oves theirs?

Dr. Curzon

• Spike
    • View Profile
^I never said that. My point was he didn't have to sing to show he missed his family. After all, Spike didn't sing but that doesn't mean he doesn't love his mom (well, sorta his mom). Also, there's already proof the rest of the gang missed their parents since they sang the song,

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jan 27 2012 on  10:12 AM
Chances are that they decided against any lyrics for Petrie because they wanted "Always There" to be a somewhat grave song and felt that its seriousness would have suffered by the inclusion of Petrie's language.
Yet he sings in Bestest Friends

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I dunno really... I mean his singing really works really well with Bestest Friends but I'm not sure whether it could have worked with Always There too. I'm fine the way it is anyway, both songs are wonderful :)
Inactive, probably forever.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Oct 10 2015 on  06:18 AM
I dunno really... I mean his singing really works really well with Bestest Friends but I'm not sure whether it could have worked with Always There too.
Why not?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Maybe because "Bestest Friends" really refered to the "bestest friends" which included Petrie, while the implication of "Always there" was that it was about the parents, living or dead, who were not physically there and even dead in case of at least one mother. In case of death rather than parting Petrie's grammar might have easily be taken the wrong way.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Oct 11 2015 on  08:55 AM
Maybe because "Bestest Friends" really refered to the "bestest friends" which included Petrie, while the implication of "Always there" was that it was about the parents, living or dead, who were not physically there and even dead in case of at least one mother. In case of death rather than parting Petrie's grammar might have easily be taken the wrong way.
Hmm. Interesting thought.

The main reason it bothered me was because of the quote I made at the top of the page.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I guess it would've made the song too long, and Petrie's speech patterns would've interfered with the gravity of the song?

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dr. Rex,Nov 1 2015 on  11:33 PM
I guess it would've made the song too long, and Petrie's speech patterns would've interfered with the gravity of the song?
Hmm. Maybe. The gravity, you say?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
It was a solemn song and Petrie's speech patterns might have ruined the mood, is what he's saying.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Yeah, unfortunately Petrie's voice does not lend itself to the more serious songs of the series. He is perfect for the sillier or more upbeat ones ones, though
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Nov 5 2015 on  04:49 AM
Yeah, unfortunately Petrie's voice does not lend itself to the more serious songs of the series. He is perfect for the sillier or more upbeat ones ones, though
Yeah, same with Ducky

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, same with Ducky
Though Ducky can do very well in sad songs. I absolutely adore how her singing sounded so sad yet so wonderful in Family or at the beginning of Always There
Inactive, probably forever.

Petrie157578641

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TabalugaDragon
I love Petrie's voice, one of reasons he;s my favorite character. And I don't think it would have hurt the song if he sang it.