The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Injuries?

Guest · 18 · 1919

Kron the Iguanadon

I know this is a kids movie, but the lack of times the characters get hurt in this series is a little strange. Here's a list of all injuries I can remember (not counting boo-boos they can forget about in 5 secs)

Movie 1:
1. Sharptooth's eye. Nice job, Littlefoot, you just sent gave Sharptooth motive to go after you!
2. Littlefoots mom: Yikes, that had to hurt if it was reduced to being shown as a shadow!

Movie 2:
Haven't watched it in forever, can't remember.

Movie 3:

Movie 4:

Movie 5:
Haven't watched it...JUST KIDDING!!! Yes, I have seen this one recently. Chompers parents both got injured (they showed blood!!!!!!)

Movie 6:
1. Doc fighting the sharptooth. Big slash, but no blood (?)
2. Littlefoot(noticing leaf on Duckys beak): "Ducky, what happened to you beak?"
    Ducky: "I got it stuck in a hive of buzzing stingers."
    Littlefoot(noticing leaf wrapped around spike's tail) "And what about Spike's tail?"    
    Ducky: "Same thing!"

Yikes. Talk about taking things up a notch. Going from the occasionall boo-boo to getting a part of your body caught in a beehive and likely being stung over and over before finally getting out...wow, even considering the "bad luck" spell that definitely threw me off!(wish they would have shown it...deleted scene maybe?) Poor Ducky and poor Spike are the first to suffer major injuries as far as I can tell, thus making them the first to know what real physical pain is...

Movie 7:

None. They went back to the old style.

Movie 8:

Nada.

Movie 9:

The lightning didn't hit Petrie, but it looked like his butt was smoking and he then collapsed...you decide on this one.

Movie 10:

Finally, we get a few injuries...but none of them are the kids and 1 is severely downplayed.
1. Pat stepped in lava. Owch, that's reall gotta hurt! Poor Pat!!
2. Bron got a foot injury too, via sharptooth bite. He did scream "AAH!" but seemed fine a second later...what the heck are they reducing real injuries to seem like nothing? What the heck?!

11-12

Nothin i can remember.

In the tv series i also hear Cera hurt her leg and Petrie hurt his wing but aside from these that's practically all there is. Seriously, I might have counted just about 12 injuries. It's not that I like seeing characters get hurt, but in Macolm in the middle, for example, which is  a comedy show, there were well over 50 injuries over the course of the series. If Land before time ever is brought back, we should have more then just 11 or so.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
To add to the list, in LBT IV Ducky was dropped by Ichy and knocked out consequently.  Being knocked out by blunt force is an injury last time I checked.  Also, in LBT VII, Sierra and Rinkus were made into living pieces of toast when the stone of cold fire blasted on them.  They looked pretty roasted and groaned in pain.  And in the TV series episode "The Hermit of Black Rock" (something like that), Petrie hurt his wing and Guido hurt his foot, and neither were able to fly away to go get help for the other.  That should add to the injury count list ;).

BTW, welcome to the GOF :wave!  It's always fun to see new members.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Bruton the Iguanodon

Anyone else gonna add more? Why won't anyone respond...it makes me feel like I've made a retarded topic, but this isn't!

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Perhaps nobody else has anything to add. You can't expect every topic to garner a lot of replies. People run out of things to say, or everything that could be said, so far, was already said.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I made this topic to discuss why there are hardly any injuries in the whole LBT series. Between Cancerian Tiger and myself, minus 20 injuries, half of which didn't even effect the main cast, were found, and unless anyone has any more to add that's it. This is a very frustrating thing about LBT---the main cast never suffers any serious physical harm! Can't they bleed, break a few bones, pass out or something?! That's why the Ducky Spike incident of 6 was extremely shocking---even with a bad luck curse, it's hard to imagine anyone, least the kids, suffering anything more then the occasional boo-boo.

If LBT is ever revived they better seriously amp up the injury rate. It wasn't until movie 6 that Ducky and Spike were seriously hurt not until the tv series that Cera and PEtrie got hurt, and Littlefoot?! Seriously our main character?! And what about everyone else who's never gotten hurt?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Ducky does pass out for short times in LBT 4 (as does Littlefoot), LBT 7. There are plenty of scenese where one could suspect the characters would have sustained some bumps, bruises or scratches but they don't show those in the movies. We get Littlefoot hobbling along for having stepped into a thorn in the TV episode "Meadow of the Jumping Waters" but any visible or lasting (more than a few seconds) damage is a rare exception in LBT.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
What would the series gain with more visible injuries? Maybe it would increase realism somewhat, but the series was never too realistic to begin with. More injuries would be cheap points to score compared to having a better plot, for example.

EDIT: under "series" I mean the whole franchise.

Bruton the Iguanodon

but any visible or lasting (more than a few seconds) damage is a rare exception in LBT.

WHYYYYYY?!

What apparently happened to Ducky and Spike in movie 6 (I'm still very angry it wasn't shown) shows LBT is clearly capable of giving us this yet only on a handful of occasions has it done so. On Malcolm in the middle, Family Guy, american dad, the simpsons, and a whole bunch of other shows characters are always getting beat up and injured. And yet only 2 out of the 5 members of the gang ever suffered as much in 13 movies. We had to wait until the TV series to see Cera, Petrie or Littlefoot get hurt (unless you count Petrie's lightning run-in in movie 9...but that lasted 2 seconds.

But yes, as well as injuries I would like a better plot.

On the other hand I do feel really bad for what happened to Spike and Ducky in 6. Couldn't they have had that happened to someone like Cera's idiot niece and nephew, who deserve it? (I really hate Dinah and Dana, they were the worst part of the already mediocre movie 6)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
And why would you want injuries to happen to a couple of babies/toddlers? Keep in mind, they were both very young. And what exactly did they do to deserve to get hurt? Be annoying? Sorry but that is not an excuse to have them get hurt.

They were young and innocent and curious. Yes they made a mistake by wandering off, but they're just kids who didn't know any better. They meant no harm by anything and didn't understand the seriousness of when they ran away. They were just curious and were too young to be able to draw from experience why the place they went to was dangerous.

In the end, they were the equivalent of human toddlers. Too young and too naive to realize what they were doing. Wishing harm on them because of this is wrong in my opinion. It's not like they were deliberately being malicious or deliberately causing harm. They were just a couple of fun-loving, playful twins who tend to bite off more than they can chew due to lack of experience.

Chances are they will mature and change as they get older. It's pretty much impossible for them to keep the exact same personality they have now as adults.

Bruton the Iguanodon

And why would you want injuries to happen to a couple of babies/toddlers?

I wouldn't in real life, of course!

And what exactly did they do to deserve to get hurt?

They made it onto the list of top 10 characters I hate. Sorry but I absolutely hate them and you can't change my mind. I just said this because I'd rather, if an injury is to happen, it happen to characters I hate rather then ones I love. That's not to say the main cast shouldn't suffer their share of injuries, but in movie 6 they had some other characters---Dinah and Dana, namely---who they could have worked injurues with. Also, they didn't have to make Ducky and Spike go through hornet hell just to show "bad luck" happening.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Part of the reason I feel they should add injuries is that they're always on dangerous adventures and chances are likely they'll get hurt. Secondly, the main cast was never injured once in 13 films---except two members, Ducky and Spike, who were apparently severely stung by wasps. This was offscreen, however, and only to show that apparently bad luck was happening, which they could have used anything to show. Otherwise, it's non important to the plot. They haven't been injured since, and none of the rest of the main cast has. Just think, with just a simple change in decision on the part of Libby Hinson and John Loy, the scriptwriters of movie 6, all of the gang would have made it through the film series without any major injuries. So I think it's quite unfair to Ducky and Spike that they suffered while the rest got out scott free, so part of the reason I want more injuries is to even it out. So either they can injure Littlefoot, Cera, and Petrie---plus other regular residents of the great valley---Grandma, Grampa, Cera dad---to even it out, or they could have skipped the "hornet hell" incident entirely. That way, everybody would have won! As it is, two of the regulars lose.   :(

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
I believe there is one in "Meadows of Jumping water" when Littlefoot stepped on a pine cone.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Great. Only took him (and Cera and Petrie) the whole film series to get injured fore they finally were in the series. How fair is this to poor Ducky and Spike?

To add to the list, in LBT IV Ducky was dropped by Ichy and knocked out consequently. Being knocked out by blunt force is an injury last time I checked.

Please...that was nothing compared to what she went through in 6. She wasn't bleeding, didn't break any bones, don't think she was bruised or anything, even her reply when Littlefoot asked her if she was okay was, "I...think so." And she was. Nor did she end up being hurt by the flyer trio, (seriously, she got to cause more pain to Sierra then they did to her!), nor was she injured in movie 1 even. It's weird out of all times they could have gotten her they chose 6. It's certainly not a Ducky centered movie and what's interesting is that injury wasn't even that necessary either. The "bad luck" could have just been established by Petrie falling into the beehive and narrowly escaping. Good job, Petrie. Thank god you're a flyer. Cause not everyone was as lucky as you in 6. (I know, I'm obsessed! Can u believe me?)  :lol:

Bruton the Iguanodon

I believe there is one in "Meadows of Jumping water" when Littlefoot stepped on a pine cone.

He stepped on a sharp plant in that episode. He rolled over on a pine cone in 7

But it's been all but established in this thread...that...what happened in 6...was the only real injury...? Why...?!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
But it's been all but established in this thread...that...what happened in 6...was the only real injury...? Why...?!
You established this for yourself. I don't think your view found much agreement from others.
Personally I maintain that naming a mere bee sting an "injury" is really overdramatizing while considering multiple times of characters being knocked unconscious or rendered limping etc. are usually more deservant of the term "injury".

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What about Cera's twisted ankle in the series? What about Littlefoot's head smacking against solid rock when fighting Cera? What about Ducky hitting the water so hard that she passes out?

How are those not injuries, but bee stings in the 6th movie are?

I don't regard bee stings as actual injuries unless there's so many or if there's an allergy reaction. And they were fine the next scene. After all, they were only bee stings, one of the most minor things to ever happen to the characters. Yes, minor. They are not traumatic nor did they impair the characters. If the bee stings were intended by the studio to be that bad, we would have been told about it at least, maybe have Littlefoot or Cera ask how they were. But we don't, so they weren't horrific injuries.

The injuries I mentioned are much worse than a measly bee sting or two. The twisted ankle not only really hurt Cera, but she couldn't really walk all that well, and when she tried that log running race despite what her dad said, she almost went over a waterfall (I believe) because her back leg made it harder for her to swim properly. Littlefoot hitting his head could have easily resulted in serious brain injuries or a concussion, and if not that, perhaps a powerful headache that lasted for hours. Ducky getting knocked out would have required her hitting the water from a high enough point, which she did. Hitting water at a height is like slamming into hard rock, so her entire body was wracked with pain before she passed out. And she almost became dinner because of the injury.

Sorry, but your statement that "the only injury in the series was the 6th movie" isn't true. Anyone who watches the movies knows that the characters have been injured multiple times. The bee stings could be included as one of them, but it is not the only time they were hurt. The times I just mentioned are a few examples of the times the gang had been hurt before. And compared to some of the things that happened to them during the course of the series, bee stings are amongst the most minor that had happened.

Bruton the Iguanodon

So was Petrie getting struck by lightning in 9 worse? Or Petrie getting crushed by the rocks in 2, or smashing into the rock in 1 worse?

I just wish we'd seen 6's killerbee attack cause it's the only time Spike ever gets hurt

Also didn't Petrie get stung by bees causing him to fly from them