The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

why does everybody hate LBT sequels?

RainbowGirl 39

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
whenever I go to youtube or something it always says land before time sequels suck
whats so bad about them?the only one I hated was the 13th one.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, I don't think it's that they necessarily suck, it's just they're really nothing compared to the original classic. They were made by mostly different people (Don Bluth had no part in them, for example). They tried to copy Disney movies by becoming musicals(some good ones, but lot's of meh ones.), they had less exciting plots, not as much dark elements, less emotion, and they just generally felt like cash-ins to most people.

I still liked them for the good things they had in them. Obviously, there were some people that worked on them that put love into them. The voice acting is pretty good across the board (aside from Littlefoot changing voice actors every 5 seconds). The animation might have been kinda meh most of the time, but the backgrounds were still more like beautifully hand-drawn paintings. The writers on the movies did a good job of keeping the characters all in character most of the time, and they tried to write all the new characters with unique ways of speech, personalities, and quirks.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
too be honest I only liked 2-4 as squeals. that director really focused on the story and how it fits with the original. 5-13 with that other director messed the story up by adding aliens , tinysauros  weird dinos called yellowbellies, and almost as if he never watched and observed carefully the first movie (bron story for example)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Next to the reasons mentioned above, people on youtube like to hate on everything in general just to join in. I've barely ever received negative commentary on my LBT videos, though! :)

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
I enjoy most of the sequels myself, although I will skip through some of the songs sometimes. I agree with vonboy on this; the first will always be a classic, but that doesn't mean the sequels don't have their good points too, although 13 was just bad. Really bad. I also love the backgrounds, they're just so beautiful. <3
I also agree with Mumbling, a lot of people on YouTube love to hate things because they think they're joining a bigger crowd, but oh well. Haters gonna hate.  :lol

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I partually hate LBT13 too because I don't like the yellowbellies at all. It's too much different from the other sequels imo(and I don't like the German speaker of Ducky :( originally it's Aria, right?) But it has some good aspects too, e.g. the wisdoms that Littlefoot tries to teach the yellowbellies so it's a bit of an educational movie for young children.

I too like the drawings of LBT in general  :yes

I think you're right, Littlefoot, that sequels 5-13 aren't focused to the original story, but if the makers of LBT hadn't done this we may have less sequels...  :confused
Actually I like most of the sequels 5-13 - especially the 8th - because the new, sometimes strange characters( Guido :DD) made LBT quite more interesting imo

I don't know why, but when I was younger I didn't watch the original movie :o I can't understand this now, because it's the best movie ever made  :exactly  :lol:
Inactive, probably forever.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I hated movie 13 as well. The yellow bellies where very stupid dumb and annoying. They made the movie terrible so terrible that it's hard to watch and sit through. I liked Movie X because it focused on the relationship with Little Foot and His good for nothing farther. His reason for leave was kinda bad but the fact he went looking for his son instead of giving up was good. It showed he did loved his son. And shorty was a good character and Little Foot making him his step brother was a good move on his part. so I liked movie one and x the most. The rest where okay and decent. I loved a ton of the sequel song's. Guido is a racist slur towards Italians I have no clue how they got that passed censors. Maybe the censor person is a racist or something not sure.

RainbowGirl 39

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
the sequels that I like were III and II I guess the oringinal is good everywhere I go it says the land before time has crappy sequels but to me their good I LOVE LBT! :D

RainbowGirl 39

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot3897,Jan 30 2013 on  01:54 AM
too be honest I only liked 2-4 as squeals. that director really focused on the story and how it fits with the original. 5-13 with that other director messed the story up by adding aliens , tinysauros  weird dinos called yellowbellies, and almost as if he never watched and observed carefully the first movie (bron story for example)
I liked the first four the best as well ;)

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
It all boils down to what's fashionable to bash. I think the MarzGurl reviews had a lot to do with making them 'cool' to hate on. That, and there are some that legitimately bad, like the thirteenth. I think all but the last one has something to be enjoyed in them, however. My personal favorite of the sequels is number five.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah I disagreed with her by saying the songs sucked. Witch for the most part didn't except for a few. The sequel song's where good and addicting and I still love them today. The graphics in most sequels where wow mixing CGI with regular animation was kinda bad but and not good to look at. It was a eye sore for most people. Witch maybe that is why there is a lot of hate for them and or some people out grow things in time.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Hmm I'm not sure if MarzGurl intended on starting any 'It's cool to bash the LBT sequels'; I'm pretty sure that was already prevalent before she did her LBT reviews.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm not saying she did intend it. In fact, in a very kind email response she sent me, she stated that she was merely expressing her own opinion and does not like that some people are using her reviews as 'proof' that the movies are bad just because she said so.

But I digress. Don't worry too much if people say they don't like the films. If you enjoy them, enjoy them with pride.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I enjoy the from time to time. I mean they're not the best movies ever but they're fun to watch. I bash them for the fun of it. Only the bad parts I do and that is all. The plots on some are bad and pointless but still are okay. So I do like them but not love them,

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
I like all the sequels to some degree (even 13th.. a little)
And the songs, while some not as great, are very fun once you get down to it.
If there's one thing I've noticed is songs that grow on you.
More than once I've listened to a whole soundtrack or song and felt bewildered and enstranged to it, only later to learn how great it really is!

Believe it or not, but after listening for a while, the LBT 13 songs are better than you think!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I too like the songs in sequel 13 but I don't like the yellowbellies  :anger  :rolleyes
Inactive, probably forever.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I don't think anyone likes the yellow bellies. Just goes to show: an academy award winning actor does not automatically make a character likeable.

RainbowGirl 39

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: LoyfeCycleProtector,Feb 3 2013 on  02:57 PM
I don't think anyone likes the yellow bellies. Just goes to show: an academy award winning actor does not automatically make a character likeable.
Actually there is two award winning actors Robert Paulsen was also a voice of a yellow belly and I was like come on Rob the money wasn't worth it. It pains me to see a very good voice actor like Robert Paulsen doing a brainless character like a yellow belly. It's sad to see that.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I think it's flattering they chose to work with the series but... Yeah, they should have read their scripts closer.