The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A very disturbing comment of Ichy's.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Not sure, but does anyone notice that Ichy says

"Don't swallow Dil, it's me Ichy!" when he falls into her mouth when Spike whaps him with his tail.   For years, I never noticed the oddity of what he said, but a few days ago, it finally occurred to me.

Why use the word swallow ?   Don't most Sharpteeth (and most dinosaurs in general for that matter) chew their food FIRST before swallowing?   Was this a slipup on the writers's part or does Dil actually swallow some prey whole if the prey is small enough (i.e. Petrie, Ichy, or Ducky sized) and let the poor critter be digested alive in her stomach?  

If so, I'd admit she's gotta be the most twisted villain in Land Before Time!   :wow

I guess, like Chomper's parents saying they viewed any friends of Chomper's as desert, despite never bothering to ask what type the friends were, that this is just another very disturbing comment of a character in the series that they put in there and didn't bother to explain, perhaps hoping nobody would notice?

These two aren't the only disturbing quotes in the films.  In film 7, when it appears that Ducky falls to her death, and Pterano expresses sorrow over it, Sierra says

"So what?  You should be used to this sort of thing by now!"  What the heck did he mean by that?

Has Sierra killed others before and is basically saying "I've done this before often.  Why do you suddenly care all of a sudden?"  or is he saying "This isn't the first guy we've knocked off.", indicating that Pterano might not be an anti-hero, but a murderer?  Or was he simply referring to the situation with Pterano's followers, which he may have heard of, and saying "You saw your followers all die.  Why so much sadness over the death of a single young swimmer?  You should be used to others dying around you by now."  or is he saying something else entirely that isn't listed above?

Also, in the second film, there is something very bizarre about Ozzy's behavior when he finds out, or so it appears, that the egg he was after hatched.   He freaks out, and, even his brother tries to get him to calm down, but he is so irate that he lost his dinner (Get over it dude!  It was the previous night!)   However, he asks about the egg, despite standing right on the egg shells when he is addressing them.  Is he that blind????

However, the most disturbing of all is that he doesn't seem to say "Well, it hatched.  Probably was no good to eat anyway." and just walks away.  I mean, if Ozzy loves to eat egg yoke and Chomper was mostly developed, if not nearly fully, by the night before, surely he'd have gotten nothing, except perhaps bitten, were he to try and break open the egg and eat it.  Does Ozzy actually eat both the partially developed dino as well as the yoke?  One almost wonders that as his behavior seems so bizarre, not to mention that he doesn't seem to give up after learning how to close to hatching it was nor does he seem to admit defeat, having seen the egg shell and perhaps, for all we know, knowing that the egg hatched into a Sharptooth.

The final disturbing incident I can think of happens in the TV Series.  After Cera is found not to be such an Amazing Threehorn Girl, it seems some of the dinos were singing that she should leave.  Does anyone find it odd that they'd suggest banishment for someone as young as Cera and for such a minor crime as her's or is it just me?

(Of course, there is a non-spoken, for the most part, disturbing scene too, where it shows baby Chomper biting Cera.  It actually, if you take a still of the movie, appears quite frightening and it looks like the teeth should have cut her open and made her bleed.  Yet, though hurt, she doesn't appear to be crying from the pain, just really irritable.  When a Sharptooth bites himself in the tail later in another scene, perhaps of another film, he actually cries from the pain.)  Also, Strut doesn't appear to be hurt too much by being bitten either.  One might surmise that Chomper's teeth aren't sharp enough yet to cut the skin on a dino and he can only cut open bugs, as of yet, but I didn't see blood even when he bit the bigger Sharptooth in the fifth film, despite them actually being willing to show blood in a later scene in said film.)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: LittlefootAndAliTogether,Dec 28 2014 on  05:59 PM
"Don't swallow Dil, it's me Ichy!" when he falls into her mouth when Spike whaps him with his tail.   For years, I never noticed the oddity of what he said, but a few days ago, it finally occurred to me.

Why use the word swallow ?   Don't most Sharpteeth (and most dinosaurs in general for that matter) chew their food FIRST before swallowing?   Was this a slipup on the writers's part or does Dil actually swallow some prey whole if the prey is small enough (i.e. Petrie, Ichy, or Ducky sized) and let the poor critter be digested alive in her stomach?
No. They don't chew. At least not the carnivores. I think Chomper might have been shown chewing, but that's an error if that's the case. Theropod dinosaurs (as well as other animals, like crocodiles and alligators and snakes) do indeed swallow chunks of meat whole, and sometimes, if small enough, entire bodies of prey (dead or alive). They simply lack the right type of tooth for chewing.

Considering that Dil is a gator/croc animal, then it's safe to assume that, yes, she does swallow food whole. And if she didn't know she had Ichy in her mouth, then she would have swallowed him whole.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Dec 28 2014 on  05:16 PM
Quote from: LittlefootAndAliTogether,Dec 28 2014 on  05:59 PM
"Don't swallow Dil, it's me Ichy!" when he falls into her mouth when Spike whaps him with his tail.   For years, I never noticed the oddity of what he said, but a few days ago, it finally occurred to me.

Why use the word swallow ?   Don't most Sharpteeth (and most dinosaurs in general for that matter) chew their food FIRST before swallowing?   Was this a slipup on the writers's part or does Dil actually swallow some prey whole if the prey is small enough (i.e. Petrie, Ichy, or Ducky sized) and let the poor critter be digested alive in her stomach?
No. They don't chew. At least not the carnivores. I think Chomper might have been shown chewing, but that's an error if that's the case. Theropod dinosaurs (as well as other animals, like crocodiles and alligators and snakes) do indeed swallow chunks of meat whole, and sometimes, if small enough, entire bodies of prey (dead or alive). They simply lack the right type of tooth for chewing.

Considering that Dil is a gator/croc animal, then it's safe to assume that, yes, she does swallow food whole. And if she didn't know she had Ichy in her mouth, then she would have swallowed him whole.
If so, then why does she have this big huge teeth?

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If so, then why does she have this big huge teeth?

For shearing and tearing the prey into smaller pieces.  Another structure, the gizzard, would be used to "chew" the food in much the same way that it is used to "chew" food in birds.  By using gastroliths (gizzard stones) and the powerful gizzard muscularture to pulverize the food before it enters the stomach.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sharp, pointed teeth aren't meant for chewing. They are the sheering and cutting teeth. In order to be able to chew, you need molars. These are teeth designed to crush and grind food. Without them, no chewing.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Even if true, that is rather unnerving to know the end Ducky could have had.   It's far worse than I originally had thought it would have been.  :(

Anyway, what about Ozzy and Pterano?  

Why would Ozzy want to eat an egg so close to hatching anyway?   One would think the best kind would be, well, nearing to having been laid, not those close to hatching.  

What did Sierra mean by "So what?  You should be used to this sort of thing by now!"

And why did the dinos in "The Amazing Threehorn Girl" actually suggest banishment for Cera for lying?  (They sang that she should leave in one of their songs.)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It doesn't matter if the egg was close to hatching or not. Animals that eat eggs will eat them, even if there are little embryos inside. In fact, I imagine that's the time they would most want to eat them; the extra protein and such. Animals that eat eggs aren't just going for the yolk; they're going for the still developing babies inside.

Sierra was likely referring to how Pterano accidentally led a bunch of dinosaurs to their deaths. Pterano may have confided in them in what he did (he is a poor judge of character it seems). So Sierra was taking a jab at Pterano himself, not implying that he himself killed.

I don't remember much of The Amazing Threehorn, so no comment there.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Dec 28 2014 on  10:39 PM
It doesn't matter if the egg was close to hatching or not. Animals that eat eggs will eat them, even if there are little embryos inside. In fact, I imagine that's the time they would most want to eat them; the extra protein and such. Animals that eat eggs aren't just going for the yolk; they're going for the still developing babies inside.

Sierra was likely referring to how Pterano accidentally led a bunch of dinosaurs to their deaths. Pterano may have confided in them in what he did (he is a poor judge of character it seems). So Sierra was taking a jab at Pterano himself, not implying that he himself killed.

I don't remember much of The Amazing Threehorn, so no comment there.
As for Sierra's "The first thing I'm gonna do when we take over is feed them overgrown eggs to the Sharpteeth!" suggests that Sierra is ok with feeding kids to Sharpteeth.  Does that not sound evil to you?!

Also, Sierra tried to kill Ducky on numerous occasions and I think wanted to kill Pterano too.   If he's not a murderer yet, he certainly doesn't care if he ends up being one.   :wow  :wow

As for Ozzy, his behavior seems equally wicked, or nearly so.  Why else would he want to kill a bunch of kids by first trying to knock them off a cliff, trying to possibly claw Littlefoot to death, try to knock the kids into lava, and later try and throw Littlefoot off the Great Wall over a lousy lost egg (something even Strut is disturbed by!)???  Worse, in Ozzy's case, unlike Sierra, who may have felt that Pterano and the Gang of Five were in his way to power, Ozzy does not stand an egg to gain or anything like that by killing the kids, he just wants to do it as he feels that egg was his, showing how low he'll go when he loses a meal.  (Which, considering that the kids would be the meal in the case of Sharpteeth, Ozzy is worse than Sharpteeth.)

Personally, I think most Egg Stealers wouldn't care to eat an egg so close to hatching, as that would be mostly carnivorous in the eating at that stage, but Ozzy is so cold hearted that he could care less that he's almost like a Sharptooth, as he thinks he's not.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LittlefootAndAliTogether,Dec 29 2014 on  01:02 AM
Personally, I think most Egg Stealers wouldn't care to eat an egg so close to hatching, as that would be mostly carnivorous in the eating at that stage, but Ozzy is so cold hearted that he could care less that he's almost like a Sharptooth, as he thinks he's not.
Actually, I have to disagree. Their beaks would be well suited for eating meat. Plus, an egg is an egg, regardless if there's a baby in it or not. If the baby hatches, then they would just kill the baby and eat them. This is how it works in nature. Also, egg eating is a carnivorous act in of itself. Eggs aren't plants.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Dec 29 2014 on  12:26 AM
Quote from: LittlefootAndAliTogether,Dec 29 2014 on  01:02 AM
Actually, I have to disagree. Their beaks would be well suited for eating meat. Plus, an egg is an egg, regardless if there's a baby in it or not. If the baby hatches, then they would just kill the baby and eat them. This is how it works in nature. Also, egg eating is a carnivorous act in of itself. Eggs aren't plants.
Still, I think that Sierra and Ozzy are twisted psychopaths who would kill kids for the dumbest reasons.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I take the eggeaters to be quite capable of eating not just eggs, but also plants and at least some kinds of meat. The German translation of LBT 2 may have contributed to me having always viewed the eggeaters as capable to eat meat though not depending on it. In the translation there is an important difference in the scene when Chomper shows up to save Littlefoot from being dropped from the Great Wall. In the original Ozzy says something like:
"You I liked much better as an egg!"
while the translation of what he says in German is:
"You are even much tastier than an egg!"
strongly suggesting that he would be about to turn sharptooth on Chomper.
I agree about Ozzy comming across as kind of psycopathic. He is rather extremely obsessed with eggs. And in this context we may also find the origin of his pursuing Littlefoot the way he does. For there is a crucial aspect that I don't think has so far not been mentioned. In the scene in which Ozzy and Strut have the gang minus Littlefoot cornered on a rocky ledge Ozzy does intimidate them, but his words are not suggesting that he is going to go beyond that:
"I'm warning you you little leaflickers! Stay out of my way, or I'll..."
So if they stay out of Ozzy's way he probably wouldn't care one bit about them. But at that precise moment Littlefoot shows up and brings down the air of intimidation which Ozzy had built up by challenging Ozzy. Worse for the psychopath, Littlelfoot does so in front of Strut towards whom Ozzy must also keep up the air of threat and dominance.
Ozzy's reaction thereupon is probably the first in which there was an actual threat to the life of Littlefoot:
"Just what I can't stand! A bozzy weed whacker!"
The following events further fostered the personal anger of Ozzy towards the Gang and with it all happening before the eyes of his brother Ozzy's motivations to go after Littlefoot may well have been both, revenge and keeping face in front of his brother who might otherwise feel tempted to test his authority (at least I suppose Ozzy could fear that).

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I never said Ozzy wasn't a psychopath. I was just pointing out that he was still a meat-eater because eggs are meat. But Ozzy's diet has nothing to do with his psychopathy; he would be like that even if he didn't eat eggs.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
LittlefootAndAliTogether did say it (the psychopath bit), the reference was in response to his post. I think his particular mindset is one of the factors to allow for his actions to be based on a mixture of revengefulness and not showing a weakness in front of his brother.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Dec 29 2014 on  09:01 AM
LittlefootAndAliTogether did say it (the psychopath bit), the reference was in response to his post. I think his particular mindset is one of the factors to allow for his actions to be based on a mixture of revengefulness and not showing a weakness in front of his brother.
My post was in response to LittlefootAndAliTogether. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I may be miss remembering a Wild Kingdom (an ooold tv show I use to watch as a kid) or something else I saw.  But I think I recall, crocodillians also use their teeth to clamp onto large prey like wildebeests and roll to try to tear off a hunk of meat they can swallow.  And the backward pointing teeth help in keeping the food from falling out and help to move it to the back of the mouth for swallowing.