The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A Forgotten Charcter!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I decided to watch a certian LBT movie, and realized there was a charcter we hardly seem to talk about.  In fact, I have read countless LBT fanfics, and read countless posts here, and I hardly, if at all, see him mentioned.  It's strange, but it seems like we have forgotten about him.

The one I'm talking about is Archie.  You know, that old turtle that helpped Littlefoot in that cave in Journey Through the Mists?

I wonder why we hardly ever talk about him.  Besides, if it wasn't for him, the gang would've never found the Land of Mists.

Discuss this.

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
I was actually thinking of having him in my fic. :^.^:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Archie may be the best example for a forgotten character, but he is by no means the only one. Rooter, Elsie, Tickles and Sue are other examples for chracters who were introduced for a few scenes only during which they did or said something important often saving a character's life. None of these characters received a great deal of attention in the forums. On the one hand this may be because their actions (however important they were) took only a short span of time in the movies and on the other hand they were overshadowed by more important characters in their respective movies.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I guess they would eventually find the land of the mists even if it wasn't for Archie but he did help Littlefoot when he got separated from Ali. I also think that in a forthcoming return of Ali, Tickles and Archie should come back as well. The promess was vaguilly that one day we'd all see each other agian. Maybe in the final episode when everybody comes to live to the gret valley, or maybe they'll have to leave the great valley.. who knows =p As for Rooter, he was just there as a moral booster for Littlefoot, we're not even sure if he made it in the great beyond. Other characters like Ozie, Strut, Pterano and the like may also be a good comeback, they're probably trying to put them in the series, making up new characters isn't that easy, and fans are getting a bit anxious. Anyway, I don't think that the time is such a big issue. The only character that made a comeback was Chomper and he hardly lasted more than 20 minutes in each lbt...
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Sure would be interesting if Rooter ever found Littlefoot in the Great Valley.  :yes  The reason many are "forgotten" is because they had so little on-screen time, you never really learn enough about them to match them with a motto or lesson.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Mar 9 2006 on  11:49 AM
Archie may be the best example for a forgotten character, but he is by no means the only one. Rooter, Elsie, Tickles and Sue are other examples for chracters who were introduced for a few scenes only during which they did or said something important often saving a character's life. None of these characters received a great deal of attention in the forums. On the one hand this may be because their actions (however important they were) took only a short span of time in the movies and on the other hand they were overshadowed by more important characters in their respective movies.
True Malte.  However, out of all the forgotten charcters, Archie seems to be the least talked about.  Rooter gets quite the high praise out of all the forgotten charcters.  So much in fact, that "forgotten" seems a bit exaggerated.

I'm not 100% certian on Elise and Sue, but I'm sure I saw a topic or two with them in it.

The most praise Tickles has ever gotten, at least to my knowledge, is him in a fanfic where the gang ends up in the future.

Archie, he's had nothing!  Well, now he has something thanks to me.  However, doesn't it seem a bit sad.  This forgotten turtle risked his own life to save Littlefoot for crying out loud.  He (Along with Sue) should get alot more praise than any of the others.  He really does deserve it, you know. :)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I agree that Archie and Rooter should get more attention, but those other characters are rightfully forgotten on the very fact that they're the least interesting, for me, at least.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I admit that I too would find Archie more interesting than Elzy. However, I suppose this is partly just because Archiel already got more attention and more action than Elzy. How would we think of Elzy had she fought a terrible fight with the swimming sharptooth to protect Littlefoot and Chomper? Or had she been less funny and more serious?
I recall there once was a mention of Elzy in a land before time discussion. There she was abused (I think "dirty old hag" was the phrase) for being fond of Littlefoot's grandpa. Personally I'd say get a grip. I think a friendly, cheerful and outspoken character like her could well be involved a little more for the good of a story.
Maybe this was already done. Sue seems very, very similar to Elzy. Both share a similar kind of attitude. Both are looking for a mate (unlike Elzy Sue is sucessful after all), and both of them save Littlefoot. Nevertheless Sue remained a background element of the story and could have been left out with just a few minor edits.

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I agree there are a lot of characters who have gotten forgotten. And most of them had saved Littlefoot and or his friends.

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cyberlizard,Apr 3 2006 on  10:55 PM
Rooter is from the first one.
I figured that out when I took the Land Before Time quiz and then actually went too IMDB again and checked under the thing I hadn't before the first movie. Funny, how you can own a movie and forget the name of the character.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I don't remember Archie well, but from the picturesI've seen of him I think I liked him, so I would definitely like Archie back. :)

I would also like Elsie back again (since we'd have to be near the big water, that would could give Mo an opportunity to appear!) and definitely Sue (I really love her!) and even Ticckles the mouse, who felt like sort of the damp squid of the otherwise great movie 4, should get a cameo. I think there should be a film that has them wandering back into the land of mists somehow. That place was spook-tacular!  :D

But I don't think Rooter should reappear. On top of being rather creepy looking (he was kinda scary when he first snapped at Littlefoot), he, I feel, was a character meant for the first film only. Practically everyone else of the original (bar Littlefoot's mom and the Sharptooth, for obvious reasons) has moved on happily into the sequels, and as such we've gotten to know some---like Littlefoot's grandparents, for instance--- better. I don't think that was Rooter's destiny, however. I don't see him appearing again...unless, like in movie 1, character died, and someone was alone and upset about it, to which he'd console that person. As a nod to the original. I know, totally makes him seem like some sort of supernatural being, to appear at those points. But I don't see him returning, unless we were to return to the darker feel of movie 1. And I really can't see anyone but the late Pat Hingle voicing him, either.

Yeah, I get carried away like that.  ;)

Both are looking for a mate (unlike Elzy Sue is sucessful after all),

Was it really implied that Elzy (its' Elsie, by the way) was looking for a mate? I do remember she said, about her and Littlefoot's Grandpa, "We'd make quite the pair, swimming about in the sea", but by pair does she actually mean couple? Cause Grandpa's a landwalker and married at that!  :lol: