The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Is Chomper overly sensitive in the films?

Guest · 6 · 1038

Bruton the Iguanodon

Does it seem that Chomper is funny and friendly and outgoing in the Tv series, but was sort of the overly sensitive, "say-one-little-thing-i-don't-like-and-i'm-gonna-go-cry-my-eyes-out" type in the films? (Well, I haven't seen too much of the tv series so I can't say for sure)

People have even pointed this out:

The only characteristic feature about Chomper is that he is very sensitive in both movies where he appeared.

I think we can say for sure that he is a rather sensitive soul. It really hurt him (in both, LBT 2 and 5) when the others distrusted him, but he never ever said anything critical about any of them (e.g. Cera) while it was always Littlefoot who spoke up on his behalf. Neither did he show distinctly (in LBT 5) that he was hurt by Cera's words.

I thought his first appearence was good enough, he was basically what I would expect of him as a baby based on seeing the TV series. But 5...is a different matter.
Salvatore wrote in the "Most sad sequel moment" section "the scene when Cera discriminates Chomper and make him cry. dino_sad.gif," to which I responded, "Easy...she was just telling Littlefoot to watch out---it was a misunderstanding, she didn't really mean to discriminate him; it was Chomper who was overly sensitive". And that's true...unless, he was crying because he felt guilty and confused about almost biting Littlefoot. That's what I'd like to think, but, predictably, wiki thinks otherwise:

Throughout that time, Cera maintained a paranoiac distrust of Chomper, and constantly reminded the others that he could turn on them at any moment. When she thought that Chomper was about to bite Littlefoot, she finally blurted out her fears within Chomper's hearing range. Chomper, who knew all along that she didn't trust his parents, was hurt that she was even suspicious of him, and ran away

Even with as little knowledge of the TV series as I have, I think it's pretty safe to say that Chomper is far more sensitive in the films then in the series. Which I'm glad they changed him up for. I loved him in 2, but I could barely even stand him in 5 when I was a kid! Anyways, what are your thoughts?

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Chomper's not a crybaby. It is just that he stands alone against the world he can not change. A world were even his parents want him to kill his friends... A standart he can't and don't want to meet. And so he's also ashamed for letting his folks down.
And as for the second movie... Well, how would you feel if those you considered your family treated you like a monster for reasons you had no power over?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
LBT 5 kid Chomper is crying too much while you on the other hand seem to be quite disturbed about the lack of tears from Littlefoot's grandpa and Bron? Isn't it somewhat inconsisted that tears are required from the male adults for them not to have a "heart of stone" respectively for the movie not to be "sexist" while on the other hand you demand for the very young kid not to be such a crybaby?

Bruton the Iguanodon

Really, I wasn't even thinking about that when I made this topic. The real reason I was wondering why Grandpa didn't cry was because Grandma did. I ended up letting this concern grow into a bit of a outrage. I'm really sorry.

But my point is, compared to the TV series, Chomper is overly sensitive.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Jan 14 2012 on  03:09 PM
But my point is, compared to the TV series, Chomper is overly sensitive.
No, not really. You have to understand his position.

In the 2nd movie, he's a baby. Really ,what do you expect? He's been in the world for not even a day, and you expect him to already have emotional maturity? I've seen the movie myself and he never once came across as overly sensitive to me; he was pretty typical and normal in terms of emotion.

As for the 5th movie, he never felt overly emotional there either. He's still a young kid, younger than Littlefoot and the others mind you, but he's put into a new awkward position: he's a carnivore and has been hunting (as evidenced by his parents' lack of surprise when he says he ate a longneck), and then his friends show up, who are all leaf-eaters. His parents would want him to eat them, but he wants to remain friends. But it's not easy, and it's made harder with Cera's distrust towards him now that he's older and more of a threat.

How would you feel if you were put into his position? Imagine if everyone turned on you because you were something they hated, but you couldn't do anything about it.

Yet despite this, Chomper never seems to overdo the emotions. They're kept well under control and he never gets really emo about it. You could say he does in both movies when he walks away crying after feeling rejected, but watch happens later. In LBT2 he's happy again and chasing insects, and in LBT5, he cheers up rather quickly after a talk with Littlefoot and a nuzzle from his mother.

Bruton the Iguanodon

As I said in my first post, I was fine with him in movie 2, and it was just 5 that bothered me.

he's a carnivore and has been hunting (as evidenced by his parents' lack of surprise when he says he ate a longneck),

I think assumed they just took it as a given that he was eating what "proper" sharpteeth should  :lol

Yet despite this, Chomper never seems to overdo the emotions. They're kept well under control and he never gets really emo about it. You could say he does in both movies when he walks away crying after feeling rejected, but watch happens later. In LBT2 he's happy again and chasing insects, and in LBT5, he cheers up rather quickly after a talk with Littlefoot and a nuzzle from his mother.

We've seen the characters cry over and over throughout the film series, but in most cases (besides in the original, of course) they'll cheer up almost instantly when someone says something---the main offender of this, of course, being the LBT 11 incident.