The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Monopoly Party - My Game Design Project

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey all!

I've been proposing this idea to Iris (Mumbling) a bit lately and she seems to think it sounds amusing, so I thought I'd write up some more formal documents about the game and post them up here!

Anyway, what we're doing is simply taking the classic board game "Monopoly" to the next level!  It's one of those variations where you'll either love it or hate it, I think. :p  It's a bit silly and it adds a few extra layers of gameplay on top of the existing known game.  :p  

The goal is to make Monopoly a bit less luck-based (by giving players some more control over their moves) and give players more opportunity to laugh in the face of their good buddies! :p :lol

The biggest changes are:
-New Board Design, complete with more properties (52 in total now!) and intersections
- A TON of Items to be held onto to use when the player decides to. ;) (For all your Mario Party fans, this will sound very familiar, but the variety in this game is much greater :D )
- A 3rd deck of cards.  Beyond Chance and Community Chest (which now also contain Item cards), there is the power "!" deck, which has some amazingly powerful items in them!
- Utilities and Railroads are more powerful cards
- One set of properties containing 4 pieces (dark purple on this concept board, spread over 2 lanes), which is very hard to obtain!

Details about the game, all of the Chance/Community Chest/"!" cards, property values, etc, as well as a concept map of the board and the full rules to the game can be downloaded here! :D

http://www.mediafire.com/file/v1lff464k3q2...y%20Project.zip

An Excel file reader is needed to read the spreadsheets containing the card information.  The rules are in both .doc and .rtf format so anyone with Word or Wordpad can open them. :)

I have attached my concept image of the board to this post.  The text on this image is *out of date!* the latest information is in the Excel and Word/rtf files included in the .zip file attached here.

Take a look if you're curious, I'd love some feedback! :D

I've been considering making this into an online PC game (again, kind of in the style of Mario Party) for the heck of it.  Otherwise though, Iris and I will be making it into a physical board game just for fun. :p

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Maybe we ought to make an LBT version of Monopoly :lol
I admit I would have to check out the English translations of the almost idiomatic street names.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Maybe LBT could be a theme for the monopoly game as he want to make it. I've been thinking about it :D

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'd be game for an LBT version of Monopoly :p :D
Since getting together and playing a board game might be..a bit difficult, would anyone be interested in playing an online version of LBT Monopoly with my custom rules? :p

Unfortunately I don't really have the time to just program a Monopoly game that clones the original.  My custom game project will be the only Monopoly game I'm willing to budget time for.  If anyone doesn't mind trying my variation of the game, sure, I could work at that. :p

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Nice job there Action. I like the paths in the middle as a fresh change from constantly going around the outer edge. Love the idea of a "Tax Evasion" square coz the Income Tax square was always a nightmare to land on having just passed Go. The incorporation of the ! cards sounds cool (nice Mario Party-esque twist). Lemme know if you need any play tests  :lol

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
If it becomes a LBT game, who gets the top spot? :D  Petrie maybe?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
littlefoot, and ali would be the other property you'd need to get. theyd be the boardwalk and parkplace of the game.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Well, MyMonopoly is a Hasbro-sponsored site that allows you to make your own Monopoly board, but it's currently taken down for maintenance for a couple days. Once it's back up though, it'd be rather easy for somebody to make a LBT board and then host a game, maybe in the Role-play or Hobbies/Games section.

I think the properties would be: the gang of five on the east side of the board, friends like Chomper and Ali on the north side, parents like Grandpa and Threehorn on the west side, and movie guest stars like Doc and Pterano on the south side.

Action, how are you going to come up with the new 30 property names? Pick streets from around yours and Iris's hometowns?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That would definitely be cool! :)
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
lol littlefoot and ali as property? I more though of littlefoot and petrie as movable characters, and have spots like saurus rock and the great valley be spots you can have as 'property' :p

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, MyMonopoly is a Hasbro-sponsored site that allows you to make your own Monopoly board, but it's currently taken down for maintenance for a couple days. Once it's back up though, it'd be rather easy for somebody to make a LBT board and then host a game, maybe in the Role-play or Hobbies/Games section.

We could do that but that's actually completely different from the project I have in mind.

Action, how are you going to come up with the new 30 property names?
Heh, I didn't think anyone would actually bother to download the documentation, but you can clearly see in the picture that there are more than 30 properties in my adaptation of the game.  52 to be exact.

This isn't just plain ol' Monopoly with different properties, make no mistake there. :p Nice link if we wanna make an LBT themed monopoly game, but I'm taking this a few steps further with this design.  Still confused?  Download the file I linked! :D

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I thought of place names rather than character names for an LBT adaptation of Monopoly as well to spare the characters the indignity of being reduced to property ;)
However, while there is a relatively large number of place names throughout LBT I'm not sure if there would be enough for the monopoly fields without making up any descriptive names of places that were shown but never named in the movies.
The four stations might conveniently be replaced by the nests of the Littlefoot, Cera, Petrie, and Ducky & Spike (the adoption of Spike making four out of the five nests  ;)
There are some place names which are so universal that it would be kind of odd to use them alongside more definite places within the more general location (e.g. "Mysterious Beyond" - "Land of Mists" (the later of which again might be subdivided if places are permitted which have never actually been named in the movies) or "Great Valley" - "Thundering Falls"). It would also be a question what houses and hotels were to become. Nests would make sense (the much the more as ascribing the character's nests to the stations where no more nests could be built would avoid the embarrassment of building nests on nests). The difference between houses and hotels would still have to be figured out in LBT terms. It might also be odd to have "nests" set up in certain locations that might be included ("Let's build one nest in the sinking sand and one on the burning mountain :lol). Money would be replaced with treestars.
Anyway, while an LBT version of Monopoly wouldn't make anything new of the game your new version, Tim and Iris, would and it looks interesting to me :yes

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
so littlefoot and ali woulfd be characters not property :)
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: Malte279,Sep 12 2010 on  09:31 AM
However, while there is a relatively large number of place names throughout LBT I'm not sure if there would be enough for the monopoly fields without making up any descriptive names of places that were shown but never named in the movies.
Actually, looking at the current list of place names on the Land Before Time Wiki, there are 24 named locations in the Land Before Time. Drop "Great Valley" and "Mysterious Beyond" for being too inclusive, and that leaves 22, the exact number of squares on a Monopoly board :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Sep 13 2010 on  05:01 PM
Quote from: Malte279,Sep 12 2010 on  09:31 AM
Actually, looking at the current list of place names on the Land Before Time Wiki, there are 24 named locations in the Land Before Time. Drop "Great Valley" and "Mysterious Beyond" for being too inclusive, and that leaves 22, the exact number of squares on a Monopoly board :)
Sounds like a simple LBT theme to the classic Monopoly board will be an easy modification. :)