The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Peter Jackson and his rending of Tolkien.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes He did, but he was gracious enough to accept a compromise from Jackson, who put them into the extended version. I don't know if they will have him in a bit role in the "Hobbit" should Jackson film that. The White Council is mentioned in the book after all.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I don't suppose Lee had much of a choice. What could he have possibly done?
As for the Hobbit, while the council is mentioned there is no stage appearance of Saruman or any member of that council save Gandalf in "The Hobbit". I don't suppose they would strongly deviate from the book in order to put more characters in.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There is a mention of Radagast, when Gandalf and the dwarves and bilbo are at the Carrock with Beorn.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
True, but as I said there is no stage appearance of Radagast. He might be included in a sort of flashback or the like, but I don't see why such efforts would be taken just to squeze more characters into the movie.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Good point, Malte.  No argument from me there...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Yeah, if Jackson couldn't include Bombadil, Old Man Willow and such, Radagast doesn't stand a chance.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
On the DvD there is a scene with a tree acting as Old Willow man (while never named as such). The tree ensnares Merry and Pippin and the two are freed by treebeard who is using Tom Bombadil's words to order the tree to release his prisoners (this is not meant as an argument for the likelyhood of Radaghast in a Hobbit movie, but just general information). Do you have the special extended edition DvDs of the LOTR movies?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yes, I do, but I found the Extended version of "The Two Towers" to be absolutely horrid and haven't seen it since its release.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No arguing intended, but I liked to see the huorns, who after all played a major role in the battle of Helm's deep, included. What would you have changed about the Extended Edition? Which parts of the book would you have liked to add on it and which parts that were added would you have left out?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'd have to watch it again to tell you, but I remember enough to know tha tI never want to see it again. For one thing, the Old Man Willow scene was horrendous, though. Giving Sam's line to Faramir is another. I've never really like the middle LotR film, and I don't think the Extended Cut is an improvement. That's all. The other two, and their EC's are great, by my opinion, however.

Speaking of which, anyone notice any difference in Tolkien's treatment of Boromir and Jackson treatment of him?