The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Consequences of the Deleted Scenes Carrying Over

Phantom · 10 · 1960

Phantom

• Spike
    • View Profile
Sad to say, the intended cut of LBT is not canon within the series. At least, it isn't mentioned. Never does Ducky say something like, "Hey, Spike. Remember when I lured you away from your birthplace with berries?".
The new staff that was working on the sequels might not have known about these scenes. In short, the cut version is canon. It's like that Disney movie where the protagonist mentioned fighting a giant squid, but the scene was deleted. This is, however, the opposite.

I don't know if I'm being clear.

Does anyone see what I'm saying?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I'm not sure if that makes sense. Just because a scene isn't mentioned in a later movie does not mean it did not occur.

For instance, never once do they ever talk about how they were chased by Sharptooth in the first movie. Nor do they ever mention he is the reason Littlefoot's mother is gone. And never once do any of the characters mention the fight Littlefoot and Cera had in the movie.

And yet all of these are indeed canon.

As for "Ducky luring Spike with berries" I think this is actually still canon. Even though the full scene isn't shown, when you watch the movie, right after where Ducky finds Spike and it fades to a new scene, it shows the group walking together, and, if I remember right, Ducky is luring Spike to follow with berries.

Phantom

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Oct 23 2013 on  01:38 PM
I'm not sure if that makes sense. Just because a scene isn't mentioned in a later movie does not mean it did not occur.

For instance, never once do they ever talk about how they were chased by Sharptooth in the first movie. Nor do they ever mention he is the reason Littlefoot's mother is gone. And never once do any of the characters mention the fight Littlefoot and Cera had in the movie.

And yet all of these are indeed canon.

As for "Ducky luring Spike with berries" I think this is actually still canon. Even though the full scene isn't shown, when you watch the movie, right after where Ducky finds Spike and it fades to a new scene, it shows the group walking together, and, if I remember right, Ducky is luring Spike to follow with berries.
True, but what about LF finding the valley? I seem to remember them referring to it as they did it in the cut version.

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
True, but what about LF finding the valley? I seem to remember them referring to it as they did it in the cut version.

I think he means the original ending that's intact on the soundtrack and in the novels, where Littlefoot finds the Great Valley shortly after Cera splits the group, only to return and save the others. This, certainly, can't be considered canon any more, since it would contradict the ending as it was released. Everything else that got cut can easily fit into the film though...Sharptooth's damaged eye, Cera's racism towards Spike when he hatches, the meeting with the "Crown-Heads"...just cause we didn't see it on screen doesn't mean it didn't happen.

The only way the original ending would ever become canon would be if someone made a "Director's Cut" special edition of the film that included a properly animated version of the scene. Course, as has been said many times before, the scenes don't exist anymore, so somebody would have to animate them from scratch!

To go back to your original question though, I don't think the sequels have been affected much by the cuts to the film...any character development that would have been obtained during those scenes still got resolved in some way anyway. For instance, Cera's big scene where she would have ditched her racist attitudes once and for all (in the scene with the Crown-Heads) got cut, yet she still loses this over the course of the film, and this carries over into the sequels. If anything, the sequels have been affected by the sequels...Cera's mother and siblings not appearing in the second film, and then becoming non-existent after the third film?

The new staff that was working on the sequels might not have known about these scenes. In short, the cut version is canon. It's like that Disney movie where the protagonist mentioned fighting a giant squid, but the scene was deleted. This is, however, the opposite.

That would be "The Goonies", I believe! Great film!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
We don't know though if the crown-head scene was ever part of the script of LBT. It all comes from the illustrated story book which appeared in the same year and included many of the scenes that didn't appear in the movie. We do not however have a guarantee that all of them were actually part of the movie or the script.
We can be definitely certain about the "early discovery of the Great Valley" and Littlefoot's returning to find the others. It is also certain that there was an additional scene after Spike's birth involving Ducky's luring him on with berries (a picture of that scene actually made it into cinema showcases).
As for the crownhorn scene however we only got the illustrated story book while all references I ever heard from Don Bluth about deleted scenes were about Sharptooth scenes considered too scary for kids (but other than these references by Don Bluth we know next to nothing about the content of these scenes).

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
I don't get what you guys mean by the 'cut' version. In my VHS, Ducky lures Spike with berries as they travel, Cera meats the sharp-tooth eye to eye after hitting him several times, the gang meets the 'crown-heads', etc.

I'm confused xD are you guys talking about a book version or something?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Ludichris1,Oct 24 2013 on  01:20 AM
I don't get what you guys mean by the 'cut' version. In my VHS, Ducky lures Spike with berries as they travel, Cera meats the sharp-tooth eye to eye after hitting him several times, the gang meets the 'crown-heads', etc.

I'm confused xD are you guys talking about a book version or something?
There's a cut scene where Littlefoot, Cera, and Petrie find Ducky with Spike, and Ducky wants Spike to go with, but Cera says he will just slow them down. And in another cutscene, the gang run into two groups of dinosaurs (at least one were domeheads like seen chasing Cera), one will not share water and the other will not share food because they only want their kind to have food/water. It is in this scene that Cera realizes that racism is stupid and drops that attitude, much to the confusion of the leaders of the two groups of dinosaurs.