The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Wi-fi card failure

DiddyKF1

• Monkey of Many Mysteries from the Fruitiest Forests
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Proud supporter of DuckyxPetrie!
    • View Profile
Well, progress on my Summer Exchange Prompt fanfic entry was put to a sudden halt two days ago. The computer that I had been doing my fanfictions on (my 2015 HP notebook that has clearly seen better days) has had its Wi-fi card crap out on me. Up until now, my wi-fi had been crashing on an almost monthly basis and a computer restart would usually kick it back to life.  This time, though, it didn't work out that way. I restarted it three times, and during the second restart it looked for a moment as if it would work again, but then it stopped once I entered my Windows password. After the third attempt, and the wi-fi light remained orange, I looked at the taskbar and wi-fi wasn't even listed. I just had the Airplane Mode listed, so I gave up. The defibrillator wasn't able to start the heart back up. :opetrie

As a result, I had to move all my fanfiction documents over to my newer laptop that thankfully still has internet on it. The thing is ... it sucks that I now have only one computer that has internet access, as having two of them had been quite useful. Now, I'll just have to make do with this for probably a year or two until my situation improves. :(petrie
Suddenly, I've written so many fanfics that I can't possibly list them all! :P

Ducky x Petrie forever! :)petrie :duckyhappy

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Are you sure it is the wifi card? If you plan on no longer using that laptop because the wifi is broken, it might be worth re-installing the operating system to have a clean slate. Perhaps something else is interfering with the connection. Worth a try at least! :)

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Are you sure it is the wifi card? If you plan on no longer using that laptop because the wifi is broken, it might be worth re-installing the operating system to have a clean slate. Perhaps something else is interfering with the connection. Worth a try at least! :)

We had done that before when my youngest brother (whom has just started college last week) made the idiotic decision to upgrade that thing to Windows 10, which was a big mistake, and after a year, we downgraded back to 8.1. Then again, he's better at computers than I am. As far as he's concerned, the card is replaceable, but is it worth it? The left mouse button is broken, one of the USB ports is broken, and the touchscreen kept malfunctioning so I disabled the touchscreen driver. To be honest, that laptop is four years old, and it's clearly run its course. Even its physical condition has deteriorated. Putting even the slightest pressure may cause a failure.

I don't sound very optimistic, but I'm just speaking my opinion. I hate that these computers just can't seem to last as long as I want them to. Wouldn't it be great if someone invented a way to make computers, TVs or game consoles last a lifetime? In our dreams. At least, this one lasted longer than that crappy Dell I had previously. That one only lasted two years, and it wasn't even brand new. It had been refurbished by my mom's cousin.

So, as far as my brother's concerned, the card has been fried (burned out).

Thanks for at least trying to help, Mumbling, and talking to you, in particular, reminds me that I still need to get my microphone installed on the newer laptop! :)petrie

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ahh yes it seems like it is nearing the end of its lifespan then. I can honestly recommend investing a desktop. A laptop is nice if you're on the go a lot, but if you are at home a desktop is so much more reliable and much stronger too. Plus you can just easily replace whatever part is failing, if required. I got my latest desktop in 2013 after my old one was taken away and I haven't had to change any parts yet, even though I use it almost daily. All the parts should last me a good couple of years still, so it was a worthwhile investment.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
As someone who had once had to deal with laptop failure as well, I say yikes. Constant restarting is usually a bad sign, and 4 years is actually quite long for a laptop. Mine fizzled out at around that time as well. I suppose if you're at your wits end I recommend locating the Wifi-adapter driver in Device Manager and either restart it there by enabling/disabling or rolling back/updating the driver or using a physical LAN ethernet cable to connect to the internet. But if it's hardware and not software than I apologize but I can't give more advice. I'll second Mumbling in investing in replacing your old parts/buying a new laptop, but it takes money and I understand if it inconveniences you for a while.

As a result, I had to move all my fanfiction documents over to my newer laptop that thankfully still has internet on it. The thing is ... it sucks that I now have only one computer that has internet access, as having two of them had been quite useful.
I am surprised that you have two separate laptops, however. From what I read I'd initially thought your situation was a single-point failure with a single working laptop that ended up not having any web access and thus you were stuck with mobile data or something. Is there any reason you have two? Is one inherently more powerful than the other? Because wouldn't that mean you could just transfer all your documents using a physical/cloud drive and work or your working laptop, or am I missing something?
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
My newer laptop I got last year as a college graduation gift. Funny thing is that I had initially asked for a desktop but my mother said no because it would be too expensive.

For over a year, I would use the old one for fanfiction, artwork and video projects, and the new one for gaming. So yeah, I kinda had a nice setup for a while, but now that's all so suddenly changed.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
A desktop is expensive, but as I said it's a worthwhile investment. While most laptops crap out after 3 or 4 years of daily use, a desktop will likely give you much less issues and last quite a bit longer :yes

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
I'm sorry to hear that, Diddy. I have no real experience dealing with matters like this, as my own desktop is still working well after 8 years and I have only recently gotten myself a laptop that cost me approximately 359€ in total, which was a rather good deal as I heard that you shouldn't get a laptop that was under 300-400€. Anyway, I hope you'll find a way to get around this problem and back to your usual living. :)

DiddyKF1

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I suppose if you're at your wits end I recommend locating the Wifi-adapter driver in Device Manager and either restart it there by enabling/disabling or rolling back/updating the driver or using a physical LAN ethernet cable to connect to the internet. But if it's hardware and not software than I apologize but I can't give more advice. I'll second Mumbling in investing in replacing your old parts/buying a new laptop, but it takes money and I understand if it inconveniences you for a while.

My brother just now checked its Device Manager, and Wi-fi isn't even listed. The adapters are completely gone. I guess we can officially confirm that the wi-fi card has completely been fried, and it is entirely beyond saving.

April 20, 2015 - August 30, 2019 R.I.P. Wi-fi Card

Like you said, OwlsCantRead, I could use an ethernet cable, but I honestly think it's not worth all that trouble, so I mind as well retire that computer once I feel the time is right and I truly feel it has no purpose anymore.

Still, thank you all for your advice, though. It's much appreciated. :)petrie

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile

A desktop is expensive, but as I said it's a worthwhile investment. While most laptops crap out after 3 or 4 years of daily use, a desktop will likely give you much less issues and last quite a bit longer :yes

I concur. The HP desktop computer I use often is over 10 years old already with no updated hardware at all besides the Windows 10 update, which I admit was a premature decision as it ended up being the same as Windows 7 except with different graphics, a lot of added junk ware and Microsoft spying on you with data telemetry on a lot of things, which had to be disabled in settings. All of those were amended with third party programs, but after that, it was good as it used to be and ready to go. :yes

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Over the years, I too have generally had better luck and more longevity with my desktops than with my laptops. I guess that explains why, if desktops by default just tend to last longer.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile

My brother just now checked its Device Manager, and Wi-fi isn't even listed. The adapters are completely gone. I guess we can officially confirm that the wi-fi card has completely been fried, and it is entirely beyond saving.

April 20, 2015 - August 30, 2019 R.I.P. Wi-fi Card
Yikes. No network adapter? Yeah, alas. I appreciate the thanks though.

Over the years, I too have generally had better luck and more longevity with my desktops than with my laptops. I guess that explains why, if desktops by default just tend to last longer.
I think desktops are just built to be more rugged. My family has an ancient Dell Pentium 4 desktop from when I was a kid to my early teens, so that thing lasted 7-8 years despite its relatively low specs. Laptops are portable and do have a battery as backup if cause of a power outage, so they do have their advantages.
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
That makes sense. My desktop runs a lot smoother than my laptop, despite my desktop being one year older, and having Windows 7 on it instead of Windows 10 like my laptop. But thankfully my laptop is still fairly functional despite being a few years old itself. When I'm at home, most of the time I just go on my desktop, but yeah, the laptop is certainly nice if I'm going on vacation or am otherwise leaving the house.