The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Temeraire series by Naomi Novik

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Just finished reading the latest book (which I enjoyed for the most part), and I noticed while browsing this board that I never made a thread for it!

Anybody read these books? It's usually described as "the Napoleonic Wars with dragons", which it is, but's it's a lot more than that. In this world, the dragons are used as an air force, but they're not dumb creatures; they're fully sentient. There's a short story on the official website that gives you a vague idea of what the series is like; http://www.temeraire.org/feast-or-famine/

EDIT: Have to add this image someone made based off the scene; it's just perfect; http://www.deviantart.com/art/Breakfast-Mishap-197479773

I can't really think of a way to describe it any better without giving away plot points, so just read it if you haven't already! Be aware though, book three is a bit slow, and book six is that and worse (nothing beats wandering through wilderness for 2/3 of the book), but the rest are much better.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I remember you made a thread about a map of the world. I had ordered the first five, which I never did read. I meant to, but I lacked the time. They're stored away in my box of books in the closet. I'll try to make some time to read them.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yep! I read all these books a couple of years ago :) Can't say I remember all the details, should probably reread them. What I really liked about the Fantasy aspect of the books is the whole dragons learn languages before they hatch part. And that Temeraire discovers who he is. Anyway, not trying to spoil anything ^^

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
I just loved the character of each dragon; each unique, and in every scene a combination of adorable and hilarious.