The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

People's New Obsession: Villainy and Anti-Heroism.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Bleh. What is with this new obsession? Its like no one appreciates a good hero anymore. Please tell me there's someone left in the entire universe who appreciates a good hero. Yes, this is a rant, but its also a discussion.

Honestly, I don't mind a tragically flawed hero, because its required within certain contexts, depending on the point of the story. This wouldn't be a problem if it didn't seem like there's rarely any room for truly really good heroes anymore. And if they are present (as in not completely morally bankrupt or a manic depressive), they're at the bottem of the barrel, popularity-wise. Any thoughts on this?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I tend to like villains more than I do heroes because villains are more interesting, in my opinion. And to have a good hero, you need to have a good villain.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I like hero's more but Darkhououmon is right.  Ya need villians to make a hero.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
This is not a new developement. There have been heroes with flaws decades, centuries, and even millenias ago. As a matter of fact it may be harder to find a perfectly unflawed hero than to find a more realistic one with the shortcomings of whatever may be the kind of that hero.
In the 1980s the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles all had the one or the other flaw (Raphael in particular has often been described as the anti-hero while from what I heard he became especially popular).
Most of the Marvel heros from the 60s and 70s had moments of "weakness".
There are many medieval Robin Hood legends in which the hero is either not so heroic at all or else is messing up beyond all recognition.
In the Arthurian legends even the most noble knights Gawain and Lancelot (not to mention Arthur himself) are failing at some tests of their nobility.
The same goes for the legend of Siegfried or all the Greek sagas.
Achilleus and Ulysses are far from infallible in spite of the fact that they are considered kind of prototypes of the western hero.
Or take a look at the bible. David too was the hero only so long Uriah kept his pretty wife out of the noble giant slayer's sight.
There are a few all through 100% never failing noble knights and heros in literature and movies (Aragorn from the lord of the rings is one example that springs to my mind) but many of them have almost been forgotten because they were so dreadfully boring to most people. There are many children stories of all too infallible heros. In those stories the heros are so perfect that one might almost miss that some of those heros transport rather racist messages (examples are for example Enid Blyton's "Famous Five", or Stefan Wolf's "TKKG"). I am not condemning "perfect heros", but I do not see any trend to neglect them to a degree which did not exist before.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
LOL.  You've always gotta put a history lesson into everything. :lol:   I like that.  Are there any other examples in history about hero's and villians Malte?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I wouldn't really like any character to be "perfect". I think all characters should have some kind of flaw or flaws. It makes them more interesting, in my opinion.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Okay, you guys seen to have misunderstood me. But before I clerify, I'd just like to say: And in order to have a good villain, you need a good hero. Its not a one way relationship, the two sides complement each other, but that is not the point of this discussion.

Now, to clerify: I don't recall saying anything about 100% perfect heroes at all (to my knowledge, none even exist). I said "good heroes", as in heroes who are basically good, and can pull it together to do the right thing in the end despite of their own weaknesses. That stills makes them far from perfect.
When I said "a tragically flawed hero", that's usually in reference to a hero with a much more magnificent flaw than usual. Like, say (this is just an example made up off the top of my head), Sir Bernard of Lichenstein is a noble middle ages warrior, but he became possessed by a berserker spirit after he made a bad deal with a witch, and it that causes him to go insane and kill everything that breathes, friend or foe. Then, he'll come out of it and have to live with what he's done. That would be a hero with a tragic flaw or weakness.
That being said, most heroes do have their own weakness and flaws to overcome, that's actually the norm in most stories, but there are a lot of them who are more good and noble than others.

Contemperary examples:

Lloyd Irving from "Tales of Symphonia": He's a true, blue friend, iron willed, selfless, kind, loyal, and honest to a fault, but he's somewhat simple-minded, easily exciteable, quick tempered, naive, stubborn as an ox, and he has a very short attention span. All the above get him a lots of trouble and he makes more mistakes over the course of the game than I count. But his heart is in the right place and all the decisions he makes are made with the best intentions. In long run, even though some of them make his ath more difficult, they usually end up being more noble.

Will Turner from "Pirates of the Caribbean": From the very start, he shares many of the same good qualities as his predessor on this list, but he suffers frm the very beginning from (somewhat justified) narrowed-minded prejudice against all men who don't follow the law of His Majesty.

Samwise Gamgee: Well, he has just about every quality anyone has ever wanted ina friend, but he's also pretty terrified o fjust about everything that's new and strane, but he overcomes and becomes the driving force of the story.

Super-Man: On the surface, he appears to be a goody-goody boyscout, but if you ever bother to look deeper, you'll see him being tempted to not misuse his powers to put an end to all suffering, something he doesn't always succeed at fighting off (you'd be surprised at how grisly a few of the man in blue's older comics have been when he lost control of himself).

See? Heroes overcoming obstacles are just part of the story, and I recognize that (dude, I've been studying story-telling for most of my life, I know how to tell a story). But that's not the point.

Come the 20th Century, suddenly we got Riddicks, Terminators, Wolverines, Daredevils, Punishers, heroic vampires, mutant girls with split-personalities, and even analytical aliens being, *ahem*, heroes, when there's barely anything "heroic' about them.

As for villains. I never understood the appeal. They are necessary for the story, but they cause way too much pain and suffering in the story usually for me tol like them or feel any pity, or even want to know anything about them. For me, the best villains are the ones you love to hate, as well as the ones who have their own obstacles to overcome before achieving their goals.

Alright, now that I've made everyone fall asleep at their computers, here's the point. What is with this new obsession of loving villains and loving heroes who are nearly as corrupt and evil as the villains, instead of rooting for the person trying to do the right thing?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I never really noticed that, and I'm not worried about it either.

Yes I do still like heroes that "did the right thing", but they aren't my favorite.

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
I tend to like villains more than heroes because, quite frankly, the heroes usually bore me, especially if they're goody-goody-two-shoes and are all about morals and justice and love and all that. Even good people have their dark moments too, but I hardly ever see that in the media. The hero is the nice-at-all-times average guy, usually reluctant to accept whatever power or such he's been granted, but after his first battle, and he gains courage and has absolutely no qualms about attacking and/or killing the robber who just stole a TV. But we're not supposed to question the robber's health, because the reluctant good-hearted hero is kicking butt! Ha ha. Ha. Give me a break.

Just as long as the villain has a good reason for doing whatever he does (not just because he's 'evil' and that's that) and has some character quirks that I find unexpected, I'll usually like the villain over the hero.

I usually like the person who could go both ways, and I always instantly become attached to the most minor of characters that often die so quickly. It's like a curse.

The only hero I've ever liked was Aaron from the eighth PokÈmon movie, who had very little screen time and most of it was flashbacks or holographic recordings of or just before his death. Heck, Aaron was portrayed as the bad guy during the beginning and middle of the film! I don't know why, but after the movie I felt like I had known him for all my life...

As a random add-on, I tend to dislike bad guys who kill things excessively, simply because I see it as completely pointless. I guess that's supposed to make them scarier or something. :\

EDIT:
Come to think of it, sometimes the person trying to do the right thing isn't the hero...

Oh. I really hate heroes who are angst-ridden. That's why I didn't go see Spider Man 3. It looked too "I DIDN'T KILL UR FATHER!" "YES YOU DID!! D:"-like. >>;

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I tend to like villains more than heroes because, quite frankly, the heroes usually bore me, especially if they're goody-goody-two-shoes and are all about morals and justice and love and all that.

Ah yeah, I've seen quite a number of heroes like that.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
The only explanation I can come up with is there is no "perfect hero" and trying to create the perfect one leads to an unrecognized figure.  Everyone has skeletons in their closet somewhere that they want to keep hidden.  There is no candy-coated sugary sweet good hero who does no wrong, so the ones who have some sort of characteristic a person might have been through are seen as relatable and therefore garner support.

Just my two cents.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Alright, now that I've made everyone fall asleep at their computers, here's the point. What is with this new obsession of loving villains and loving heroes who are nearly as corrupt and evil as the villains, instead of rooting for the person trying to do the right thing?
Perhaps "love" is the wrong term. "Fascination" may be more in place. I still don't think that the fascination of evil characters is a new thing. Apart from the examples I already gave here is  another one which I find especially striking, Shakespeare's histories. While "Henry V." describes the perfect hero and noble ruler (by the standarts of Shakespeare's time) "Richard III." descripes the perfect villain and evil genious. The latter has always been by far the most popular of Shakespeare's histories. I still don't really understand your point I'm afraid. You gave a number of heros overcoming difficulties or even making mistakes while striving to do good things. Some of those characters you named are from recent times and as a matter of fact most movie heros (the kind of characters people are supposed to love rather than finding them just fascinating) would still fit into that description (having good intentions). I don't see this classic type of hero being ousted by "Riddicks, Terminators, Wolverines, Daredevils, Punishers, heroic vampires, mutant girls with split-personalities, and even analytical aliens being, *ahem*, heroes, when there's barely anything "heroic' about them." Do you think that the latter are ousting the classic hero? And in either case (whether you think they are ousting the classical hero or just come in greater numbers alongside the classical hero) what is it that you would do if you were in charage?