The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What's a good computer

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I'm getting a new computer, and I'm not sure what a good one would be. I'm currently in college, so I need something that has good word processing and memory, and I guess internet. Computer games/movie playing aren't really a big issue. I also don't think I should get a mac since everyone tells me they aren't compatible with anything, and I've constantly got to complete things like Power Points and presentations. Any suggestions?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Macs tend to be more expensive and I don't see a need to spend more money than necessary if you're going after a computer that doesn't need to be super beefy.  Technically you could use a Mac by installing Windows on it or using the Open Office suite, which is a freeware office package, basically compatible with Microsoft Office files.

If your main concerns are word processing and internet, my next question would be, what operating system do you want to run on it?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
New or used?  How much money can you spend?

EDIT:  If you don't need to do much but surf the net you could get away with using a P4 2.4 or higher with at least 512mb of ram and a 40gb hard drive......but what you can live with and what you should get are two different things.  If you actually want the thing to be decent, get at least a dual core.  Intel would be better if you're getting a laptop.  Get the dual core AMD over the dual core Intel....but not if it's an Intel Core2Duo.  Core2Duo's are MUCH better than just the regular dual core AMD's, but the dual core AMD's can beat the dual core Intel's most of the time.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
If I may ask, too:

You say games and movie playing are not big issues.  What would you say is the next biggest importance or "issue" after being able to just get around on the internet and type up a document?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Would portability be important or not?  Some may say yes and some college students may say no.  Thought I'd ask since that may need to be considered too.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I guess the portability factor is based on whether or not you'd actually take the computer to class and use it for notes or something.  Here's a fact--nobody at the schools I went to used a computer for notes....ever. Paper and pencil all the way, and I went to three different schools and three different degree levels.  

Your computer is safer sitting in a room locked away.  They can take beatings but not beatings all the time being moved around, so whatever you get, plan to leave it alone in one place.

If games aren't important, CoreDuo processors are more than enough for you.  Anything more is overkill and a waste of money.  I would stick with Windows for the best compatability with what your school will likely use (unless its pro-Mac or something :p ).

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I ALWAYS use a laptop for notes.  The reason why others didn't is probably because they can't type real fast or they're doing science notes that include diagrams they have to draw.

If you want something simple that'll be portable and able to take a beating....look for a Dell Inspiron 1000.  Those things can take A LOT of abuse and are half decent with either higher end Celeron processors or Pentium 4's.  These laptops are a bit old so look on your local Craigslist.  And if you're worried about your laptop getting stolen....get a laptop lock.  They're like $25.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Perhaps you did use them for notes, but you're also not a typical user.  Literally, dozens of classes, different levels of work, not one computer notetaker...ever!  If I wanted to study using notes for a long time, its easier to look and stare at a piece of paper, then a computer screen. ;)