The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

2009 GOF Awards coming soon...!

Petrie. · 108 · 8003

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
Well, its time. And its kind of a tough decision to make. It almost seems like saying the wrong vote will make a bucket of cold water drop on us. <.<

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I see, & I like the idea.  & the badges not picked maybe you can use then next year so you have 2 badges already done that way.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Well, its time. And its kind of a tough decision to make. It almost seems like saying the wrong vote will make a bucket of cold water drop on us.
The decision making can indeed be extremely difficult. Therefore it is often easier if in your explanatory lines you give credit to other members as well whom you feel would be well deserving of the award even if you must decide for someone else because of the limit of one vote per award.
With so much credit that can be given one should not think of it as buckets of cold water but rather as warm and pleasant showers offered to many :yes

Dark Pterano

• Chomper
    • View Profile
There's something I need to bring up it's about this Member Awards stuff that's held every May? Personally I think it would make more sense to hold this thing in November of every year instead of May. I mean think about it Malte the way your holding it now, leaves a good five and a half plus months left in the year.

But if you held it during the eleventh month of every year, that would leave less then two months left for that year and the remainning time would get pushed into the following years Member Awards list of names. I know it's too late to push it back until November this year, but next year's sould be held in November 2010!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi Dark Pterano,
I moved your post out of the voting thread into this discussion thread.
One thing ahead, "I" am not really holding this Award voting. The original idea came from Adam, I was only the one who so far did the drafts for the awards and much of the preparation work and this year I, ended up opening the voting because Adam was absent for most of Sunday.
You are basically right of course that it would make more sense to hold that election at the end of the year. The original idea came up some time in January or February 2006 so we ended up having the voting start in March back then and it was about the same time in 2007 and 2008. This year there had been a delay because I have a lot of university work to deal with at the moment. However members were asking me about when the election would be held and I reckon they gave me the kick I needed (only figuratively speaking, they were very kind, and polite, and civil, and helpful :p) to get things prepared beside the other stuff so we could hold the election in May this year. The odd timing is really a relic from the time when the idea came up so the awards refer more to the year preceding the one of their inscription rather than the actual year of the inscription.
To shift the election to a later time in the year we would have to let members wait for a longer time. I don't know if this would be preferred.

Dark Pterano

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Well then maybe you guys could talk it over and put me in charge of it from (Starting next year) now on, because I have loads of free time on my hands. That is unless something comes up to where I couldn't do it?! In which, I'd let you or one of the others know ahead of time.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Yeah, call it a quirky GOF tradition to vote on an award for the year in April. :p  The idea was liked so much we didn't want to wait till the end of the year to do it.  I had gotten the idea from another board I had visited at that time in 05-06.

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I don't see a problem with the awards being in May.  Who ever said these things HAVE to line up with the calendar year?  As long as a full year passes between them, it shouldn't matter weather its in November, May or even July for that matter.