The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

I plan on leaving YouTube

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This was a hard decision by me, but within a few months I plan to leave YouTube for good.  The place is just getting bad.  Yes, I understand the rules of copyright.  I UNDERSTAND THEM!!  However, it just doesn't help that we don't get to enjoy some great stuff that people have gone to the trouble of creating.  It's obvious that they are talented and the one purpose behind it is for people to enjoy what they have created, but it doesn't help when YouTube officials are muting or deleting the videos you made.

Heck, you guys know the issue with Land Before Time.  My videos are slowly getting deleted from YouTube.  It's an obvious fact that they might just shut my account down one day.  Yet, we love these videos and we don't want them to disappear.

For that purpose, I'll finally be creating a website for them.  No more YouTube.  Sure, I'll try to put them up at other places like Google Video just to let people know that they are still around and to point out where to find them all, but YouTube will never be one of them again.  EVER!

YouTube once brought me in because of it's greatness, but it's slowly turning into crap.  It doesn't deserve my videos.  Not anymore.

Expect the website's official appearance in June, and deletion of all the videos I put on YouTube by July.

Until then, see ya later! :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I'm not sure Google Video is a good idea. I've had to delete practically all my videos from there because they were slowly being taken down one by one. And unlike YouTube, which will not always remove a video if it's detected, Google will always remove if it detects something, from my experience.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,May 23 2009 on  08:46 AM
I'm not sure Google Video is a good idea. I've had to delete practically all my videos from there because they were slowly being taken down one by one. And unlike YouTube, which will not always remove a video if it's detected, Google will always remove if it detects something, from my experience.
Well, there are others out there.  I'll try them all, but YouTube has lost that favor completely.

I was just using Google Video as an example.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
No matter which site you use, there will always be copyright issues, far as I'm concerned. The videos would not always be detected right away and removed; but any site you use, there will always be that risk, from what I experienced.

However, some sites you could try are:

MegaVideo-I've heard they don't have as strict of a management as YouTube and thus things end up staying up longer.

Vidilife-Slow, but a pretty obscure site from what I've seen and this obscurity allows videos to stay up longer; I've never had a video removal issue here.

Veoh-Not sure how well known this is, but it allows for any size file and any length file to be uploaded, there is no limit.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,May 23 2009 on  08:53 AM
some sites you could try are:

MegaVideo-I've heard they don't have as strict of a management as YouTube and thus things end up staying up longer.

Vidilife-Slow, but a pretty obscure site from what I've seen and this obscurity allows videos to stay up longer; I've never had a video removal issue here.

Veoh-Not sure how well known this is, but it allows for any size file and any length file to be uploaded, there is no limit.
I'll keep those in mind, thanks. :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Veoh requires their own player (at least I've been told so) and it seems very shady.  I would avoid them.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well I've uploaded videos to Veoh and have never had an issue with them.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
No matter which site you use, there will always be copyright issues, far as I'm concerned. The videos would not always be detected right away and removed; but any site you use, there will always be that risk, from what I experienced.
Exactly.  Copyright is copyright.  The only reason any other sites would be less picky is because they don't get the traffic that youtube gets.  I dunno, as soon as we start giving away anything that's supposed to be purchased (like licenced music or movies), I honestly can't say I blame companies for wanting to control the delivery of their products.

Legally, whe one buys a movie, they are allowed to show it for free in their homes.  They are still not allowed to take a projecter outside and show the entire neighbourhood the movie for free (for private use, not for public forum).  That's effectively what youtube is doing so often, but on an even larger scale.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wow!  I just checked out what other places I can put videos up on and I've got quite a list.  Here it is:

Bennus
Blip.tv
Break.com
DailyMotion
Daum.net
Farmers Almanac TV
Frozen Hippo
GoFish
Google Video
Crackle
Guba
iFilm
JibJab
Kewego
LiveLeak
LiveVideo
MegaVideo
Metacafe
Moqvo
MSN Soapbox
Myspace Videos
Ourmedia
Peekvid
Putfile
Revver
Sharkle
Stage6
Stickam
StupidVideos
Twango
Vdopia
Veoh
Vidilife
Vimeo
vMix
vSocial
Vuze
Yahoo Video
Youare.tv
ZippyVideos
Zooppa
BlogTV
EyeSpot
Uncut Video
Clipshack
Viddler
Coull
MediaBum
Grouper
VideoSift
GeeVee
Tube Battle
CozmoTV
Flikzor
Buzdeo
NetShows
MaxMouth
Muzu TV
Shopflick
Mevio
EatLime
Phat.co.nz
TubeCaption
Video-Dump.net

Geez! :o I've got quite a list to go through when I get this going.

• Spike
    • View Profile

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I wish I could offer you my server Pokeplayer.  I really wish I could.  It's just I can't knowingly harm LBT no matter how many of my friends would love to see all the movies. :( LBT is in a bad enough position right now without the 100% piracy of all their movies and tv episodes.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,May 23 2009 on  02:07 PM
I wish I could offer you my server Pokeplayer. I really wish I could. It's just I can't knowingly harm LBT no matter how many of my friends would love to see all the movies. :( LBT is in a bad enough position right now without the 100% piracy of all their movies and tv episodes.
Despite this, I'll still put up the link to download the videos that you had me put up there.  After all, people will want to know where to download all the great vids, right? ;) (Seriously, you have NO idea of the exact number of people you've helped.)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
(Seriously, you have NO idea of the exact number of people you've helped.)

Oh but I do. :p I'm the admin of that server remember?  Just in the past week (literally 7 days) my server has gotten 194,130 hits. :lol That's an average of 27,733 hits per day! :o  :D

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
I don't understand this...

Sure there are the laws of copyright, but what's the big deal about fan-made materials? Ain't it credit for the real company/people/whatever behind it?
In the case of LBT, Universal.

If you don't claim that you own any of the used materials, clearly giving the rights to Universal and/or the artist who made the music, and only creating a video just out of plain fandom, then what's the big idea? :huh:
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't understand this...

Okay, this is way off topic, but I'll explain this to you Lillefot.  The owners and heads of Universal Studios aren't like you and me.  They're narcissists with no understanding of anyone or anything else except themselves and their own desires.  They are incapable of understanding why we want to create fan materials and share them.  They really don't care.  All they can see is potential loss in their profits.  It doesn't matter if you give credit to them.  They still view it as you took and edited their material and now people will get to see part of the thing that they're selling for free.  People like this sicken me.  Unfortunately the world is filled with them.  Almost every owner of a large business is a narcissist.  Walmart for example.  All they do is take take take and they give NOTHING in return.  They support shipping our jobs to other countries and even though the owner has more money than he can ever spend in his lifetime.....more money than even his great great great great great great great great grandson/daughter can spend in their lifetime....he'll still screw his customers right and left for a single penny.  This is the same for all large businesses and the same with production companies such as Universal Studios.  These people aren't really people.  That's why regular people such as the ones that browse this forum are incapable of understanding them.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
To be honest, if LBT was rarer (say like Felidae and was practically impossible to buy in your language) I'd say you have a purpose.  The fact a LBT movie costs $8.00 (and you can buy it for less used) I'd say you have other priorities you need to look at if you can't pay $8 for a film to own indefintely.  That's my two cents.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I just looked on there and LBT 1 is $10 and all other LBT movies are $8 each.  The LBT TV episodes DVDs are about $18 each.  If you bought all of them (including $7 per video for shipping), the grand total would be $297.  Who has almost $300 to spend like that?  Even I wouldn't want to do that (though I did it anyways).  And that is the absolute CHEAPEST way you can get them. :p

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, who would buy all the movies and episodes in one go? Buying them one at a time or a couple a time would be fine. No need in spending over $200 to own them all at once.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, who would buy all the movies and episodes in one go? Buying them one at a time or a couple a time would be fine. No need in spending over $200 to own them all at once.

True true, but $300 is $300 no matter how long you take to spend it.  Even if you took an entire year to get them all, that's $25 a month.