The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Higher studies

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
It's pretty much what the title says, I have to make a choice about my upcoming higher studies. University that is.
The main question right now is whether I shall begin my studies this autumn (namely in September) or take half a year off, dedicating myself to work and try to improve my grades for a better chance of application next spring.

As it looks now, after the applications for autumn 2010 have been given, I have three options:

1. Start studying in the Teacher's program focus English
2. Start studying in the Teacher's program focus communication, leadership and pedagogy.
3. Take half a year off and work, improve my grades and... just taking some time off.

Now, my grades from college aren't bad. In fact they're just about excellent, but sometimes you just have bad luck. Which is why I've only been applied for two programs this autumn, out of the five that I applied to.
My top two were Psychology and Social studies.
However, I've kind off turned down on Psychology.
Shall I take half a year off to improve my grades, it would be for the benefit of the Social Studies program.  

Shall I decide to study in one of the Teacher's programs, it will be the second option above. It lies closest to what I'd like to study at the University.
If I haven't said it before, I want to work with people and their challenges in life, just not on such a deep level as a psychologist.

Taking half a year off would benefit my spare time as well, something I'd appreciate. But I'm TERRIFIED of getting "over-bored" and driven crazy with nothing to do!

I guess that's a brief overview of my situation.
What do you think? I'm turning to you for support and opinions.
However in the end, it's my choice of course.  

Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I hope that the teacher's programs in Sweden are better than they are over here. Recently I had to make the decision whether I wanted to study for a Master of Education degree in addition to the degree I already had. But seeing just how theoretical and removed from real life most of the "pedagogic" courses over here are I finally decided against it.
Would you be able to become a teacher for one single subject in Sweden? Over here the rules are that a secondary education teacher must be able to teach at least two subjects.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
No idea Malte. But I'm not going for the teacher line in the first place, it's the knowledge I want. What line I'll focus on is not dead set yet.

This program educates high school teachers, and I'm not sure that's a job I want.
As for teacher jobs in my country, I have no accurate clue.
I've read recently that the teacher line is quite good at the time, though that may change rapidly of course...
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
A note on teacher studies...at least for the US, and in my particular case....a lot of the theory and coursework is "removed" from what you really can perform, have the time to implement, and keep your sanity.  A lot of things will not work.  You learn more actually working as the teacher than you could ever get from a course.  I'd almost go so far as to say that about 40% of what I did in school didn't help me (pulled it out of the air) but I feel I've gained more just working at the job.

I don't know how Sweden universities work, but if teaching is something you're considering I'd try to volunteer in classrooms (if you plan on taking that time off) and learn what really goes on in classrooms day after day. ;)  The theory is good to know, but maybe not necessary to work with people.