The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Pleo

Loofah · 26 · 1976

Loofah

• Chomper
    • View Profile
At last week i was on the Cebit in Hannover (Germany), and I saw somthing intresting.
That was Pleo, this robotic  Dinosaur thing from ugobe and I was very surprised about the technology that they put into this little guy. :o
In Germany he is available at the beginning of June and maybe I want to buy one.
Have anyone here experience with Pleo, I have heard that he can only run about 90 minutes?

Mornai

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I've heard about it, but i don't know much about it. A robotic dinosaur seems interesting, and when the 90 minutes of run time is u, can it be rechraged or something or is it permanently down?

Loofah

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Of course, he can be recharge :yes

Mornai

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I could imagine this robot called Pleo can do a lot of things! Also, is this the first robot in Germany?

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
you can also watch videos of him on youtube. ;)

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Oh yes, I just saw some videos and that's great... I think I'd like to have one of those too :wow .

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They have an article about it in the recent popular science where they remove the rubber skin and show what is inside and how it works.  The article says it has a nickel hydride rechargeable battery, among 15 joints, 1 main processor and 4 less powerful ones, an internal thermostat, and other things.  I never heard of it till I read the article.  Sounds interesting.

They have the article online at: http://www.popsci.com/node/19959

Mornai

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I just recently saw the video, Pleo is almost an actual live being! So realistic, i wish i had one! :^.^:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
NIMH rechargeable batteries? :blink: That is VERY old technology....  Is it that old?  Why not use a lithium ion battery?

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
This thing really looks very, very interesting... But 90 minutes, don't you think it's too short period of time? :huh:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
NIMH batteries have always sucked.....  Maybe it's been in development for 15 years and they just don't feel like creating a new power source and want to stick to the old design?  I couldn't even imagine what would posses them to create a robotic dinosaur that uses MIMH batteries. :rolleyes:

Back in the day when laptops were powered by NIMH batteries, they lasted a maximum of an hour and a half.  Now, some laptop batteries that use lithium ion can last up to 8 hours.

Loofah

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I have only read about a rechargeble battery pack but I do not believe that they are not  use Lithium Ion :unsure:

Ugobe would sell Pleo later this year with an extra battery pack! :DD

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
lithium ion battteries are better I think, for one thing they do not have a memory like the other rechargeable types have.

Mornai

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Either way i'd have to say that human society has developed far from the old ages, and it's as if being in the future. (Considering so many people say robots are the future of humans, :lol )

mcr mad

• Spike
    • View Profile
this is a bit odd cos earlyer today i was watching click on bbc news 24 and thay were talking about it, £100 - £200 :blink: i dont think i'll get one, i'd rather get a ps3 thank you very much <_<

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I've seen many types of robot pets, though I never owned one.
I don't think I really like the idea of these things. Perhaps some of my dislike for them is based on the fact that I saw a commercial for a robot parrot just a few days after my budgie Luke died.
Those robot pets are funny toys, but nothing more.
I fear that many of these pets are meant to be an easy "replacement" for a living pet that would make more work.
More convenient as they are (no need to clean up cages etc.) I wouldn't want kids of my own to play with such a robot before learning about playing with living, sentient, intelligent beings.
I don't think I could love any robot as much as I loved Luke.

Mornai

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I am sorry for the loss of your pal, Malte, but i disagree about them selling the toys as a replacement for your animals. Maybe they just sell them for some fun or a way to pass the time, or even just to make profits, or maybe all of the above.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There will be some who do like the robot pets, or love them, more then organic pets or other people.  There are some people who love their pets more then other people, or family members.  

Eventually there will be robots that one can talk to and will respond, computer programs also.  Some will like them better then humans.

Mornai

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well, Pleo can respond as if it were a live being, as shown in one of the videos about it, but living organisms as pets would be more good than a robotic pet to me, as they can respond much faster and you can have more fun with them than a robot, unless it can clean your house or something like that. :lol

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'm sure it is a very fascinating piece of technique. Even a funny toy, but I dislike the thought of little children not learning the difference between machines and living beings. If your pet cat annoys you, you have to life with this, if your robot cat annoys you, you just switch her of. That robot needs none of the love that people may give it while a real pet can die from lack of love. I'm afraid that if indeed these toys are used as "replacements" children may forget about the responsibility a living being imposes on the owner. The grownups these children will become will never know about this.
The commercials I have seen clearly aimed at the respective robots being perceived like an easier alternative for a living being.